American Club in China (Shilin District, Taipei)

Last time I checked, we live in the ROC (Republic of China). So whats wrong with the American Club in China??? Or do you think it should be american club in republic of china???

I know members who arent even American!

Hey now that’s really pushing it…

Are they at least Green Card holders? Student Visa or Tourist Visa holders?

:unamused:

no, heaven forbid they are Australians, Canadians, English, even Taiwanese. Wow… scary shit.

That’s it. I support the movement in renaming the organization to “The Club in China”

The Club in the Republic of China…kinda has a catchy ring to it.

The Club in the Republic of China…kinda has a catchy ring to it.[/quote]

…with really blah food and a membership fee like a telephone number, oh and we charge you a monthly fee for the blah food even if you don’t eat anything…

Then it would go from “ACC” to The “CROC”
(of what I don’t venture to guess)

The America Club in China, it is.

It’s a good name and it fits. Let’s keep it that way.

Or maybe rename it: “The American Club in China on Wednesday”

Hmm … “The American club in China”
It’s not necessarily for Americans.
It’s not necessarily in China.
Are we actually sure that it’s even a Club?

awol, advice well taken.

i really don’t give a hoot.

yes, as u say, ‘‘relax, take a deep breath and concentrate on more important things.’’

was just asking…nuttin’ serious

I’m sure they’ll change the name to American Club in Taiwan right after the government on this island changes its name to Republic of Taiwan.

My company back home changed their name three times in five years. Everytime we got a new VP they thought changing the name would increase revenue ten-fold. Three times I had to change my stationary, name cards, telephone greeting…what a pain in the ass :raspberry:

The CHINA post has a news story on page 20 today about this american club in CHINA. Even the founder of it, an american who has been in CHINA for 47 years, calls the local people CHINESE people, not TAIWANESE. He obviously believes that he is living in CHINA. Absolutely amazing.

QUOTE: “Even the Chinese who left to go to America have come back here and joined the club,” XXX said.

[quote=“Cola”]The China post has a news story on page 20 today about this American club in China. Even the founder of it, an American who has been in China for 47 years, calls the local people Chinese people, not Taiwanese. He obviously believes that he is living in China. Absolutely amazing.

QUOTE: “Even the Chinese who left to go to America have come back here and joined the club,” XXX said.[/quote]

Give up already.

I’m Chinese. I’m Taiwanese too. :smiley:

[quote=“lupillus”][quote=“Cola”]The China post has a news story on page 20 today about this American club in China. Even the founder of it, an American who has been in China for 47 years, calls the local people Chinese people, not Taiwanese. He obviously believes that he is living in China. Absolutely amazing.

QUOTE: “Even the Chinese who left to go to America have come back here and joined the club,” XXX said.[/quote]

Give up already.

I’m Chinese. I’m Taiwanese too. :smiley:[/quote]

You are Chinese. You are Taiwanese. I give up already. :slight_smile:

But referring to people from Taiwan as “the Chinese” is plain incorrect English. You are not one of the Chinese. You are Chinese, yes. But you one of the Taiwanese.

Isn’t there a distinction here?

Then again, it’s your island. So I will use the language you wish to use. Don’t mean to impose my outsider POV on you. If you prefer American Club in China to American Club in Taiwan, then I support you. It’s your country. Just my two cents.

Can I use this as a classic example of “begging the question” ?

Hi everybody, my husband and I decided to come to Taipei in a couple of months. We enjoy sport and I would like to know how is the American Club in China. And Is there other club in the city that has pool, tennis court, gym… at a resonable price? Where do you, usually, go to play tennis?

Thank you

Good quality free public tennis courts are located all over the city., here in TienMu I can walk to no less than 20 within 15-20 minutes.

With that said, the courts at the ACC are great, so is the heated swimming pool and the health club. New equipment and never nearly as crowded as anytime at one of the of leading for profit health clubs in Taipei.

The thing to remember about the ACC as I mentioned above is that the ACC is a members run, non-profit club. Your typical for profit club has over crowding and cost cutting so the owners can make more profits. If there is something you do not like at the ACC, get it changed. Try that with one of the for profit fitness clubs in Taipei. Besides that the ACC is a nice oasis from the rest of the hustle and bustle of Taipei.