American Hunger Strikers to be Deported

Five American hunger strikers were served their deportation orders today. In response to a direct appeal from the Taiwan Cement Corporation the Commissioner of the Taipei Foreign Affairs Police served all five protesters their legal deportation orders. The orders cite multiple infractions specifically article 27 of the immigration law. They were given 30 days to leave the Republic of China and given a verbal warning that if they protested again tomorrow during the stockholders board meeting they would be immediately and forcibly deported.

Oh, boo hoo hoo. I doubt they were even planning on staying a week.

Dumb schmucks. Wonder who paid for their flights. Plus, they got off lightly – they’re getting to stay for the length of their visas despite breaking the immigration laws.

Maybe there’s an employment opportunity here for foreigners who have JFRV ARCs, or foreigners who have naturalized a la Poagao. We could take the money from the organizations in the states that want protestors and then sit outside the Taipei offices of the relevant companies without fear of deportation…

Maybe there’s an employment opportunity here for foreigners who have JFRV ARCs, or foreigners who have naturalized a la Poagao. We could take the money from the organizations in the states that want protestors and then sit outside the Taipei offices of the relevant companies without fear of deportation…[/quote]
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What were they protesting, Taiwan’s economic independence from China??

Labor dispute involving a lockout by a Taiwan-owned cement factory somewhere in the southern (?) US. Guess they thought they’d get a higher profile by coming over here or something. That’s one hell of an expensive non-protest. Aren’t there any laws over there in America or something?

i doubt if the company’s stock holder board meeting convenes in the US. did the protesters initial show get any air? do you think they’ll be at it again tomorrow?

I think their union (PACE) paid for their flights.

I happened to meet those guys on Sunday. (They are just up the block from cave’s bookstore.) We were having a nice little chat until I realized I was being video taped by the police at which time I made a hasty retreat. I didn’t talk to them for very long but from what I gathered the chronology went something like this: 1) American Union locked out after the Taiwanese company rejects contract proposal. 2) Company hires non union replacement workers. 3) Company loses contracts due to poor quality product. 4) Company is charged with breaking environmental protection laws. 5) Union claims that shareholders are not being kept informed of what the company is up to. 6) Union comes here to tell to tell the shareholders what is going on… That’s all I think I know… So sue me. I had about five minutes to get that.

Here’s the whole story… (Thanks Flicka!) :sunglasses:

If an American company with a plant in Taiwan mistreated its workers and polluted the environment, wouldn’t it be considered quite reasonable for some representatives of its Taiwanese work force to go to the US to stage a protest in front of the company’s head office or at the venue of its shareholders’ meeting? I don’t think too many fair-minded people would condemn them for doing so! And would they face deportation in response to such actions? I very much doubt it!

Reciprocity is a wonderful thing. Taiwan would greatly improve its international reputation and gain a lot of precious goodwill if it learned to apply such a concept to its treatment of foreigners.

This situation is not new. Maybe you guys should find out alittle bit more about the situation. Hmmmm? Read this…note the Koo family involvement. As usual.

PACE International Union Takes Aim at Taiwanese Company for Issuing False Information

Nashville, Tenn., Nov. 25, 2003

[quote=“Maoman”]Maybe there’s an employment opportunity here for foreigners who have JFRV ARCs, or foreigners who have naturalized a la Poagao. We could take the money from the organizations in the states that want protestors and then sit outside the Taipei offices of the relevant companies without fear of deportation…[/quote]A JFRV ARC only gives your the right to work anywhere, it doesn’t give you any democratic rights, you can still be deported for whatever reason they want to think up on the spot. Remember Chocolate ?

Right, but I think they would have difficulty with the whole “not here for the reasons stated on the visa” business. Otherwise, people like Linda Arrigo would have been deported long ago, right?

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]If an American company with a plant in Taiwan mistreated its workers and polluted the environment, wouldn’t it be considered quite reasonable for some representatives of its Taiwanese work force to go to the US to stage a protest in front of the company’s head office or at the venue of its shareholders’ meeting? I don’t think too many fair-minded people would condemn them for doing so! And would they face deportation in response to such actions? I very much doubt it!

Reciprocity is a wonderful thing. Taiwan would greatly improve its international reputation and gain a lot of precious goodwill if it learned to apply such a concept to its treatment of foreigners.[/quote]

So true. Can’t you just picture the scene if the roles were reversed? There would be all kinds of melodramatic weeping on the news from the Taiwanese protesters, and probably a few legislators, who would be portrayed by the media as bravely protecting the homeland. The US company would be branded as the arrogant and greedy foreigners taking advantange of Taiwanese workers and laws. Eggs would be thrown at AIT.

But, since this case requires the Taiwanese to examine one of their own, it’s a heck of a lot easier to just deport the protesters and forget the whole thing.

Yes, I can think of several legislators who I’m sure would be quick to get in on the act. Of course, they probably possess US passports, which would make it even easier for them. :s

Probably getting deported for showing up the Taiwanese “hunger strikers” who protested the election results – you know, the ones who were doing it on eight-hour shifts before going home to tuck into a nice dinner. Most like the dumb Americans took the view that a hunger strike meant really not eating… :laughing:

Who is Linda Arrigo?

Ex-wife of — shoot, what’s his name – can’t think of it – early DPP guy. Met her one day in Taipei a couple of years back. Shih Ming-te.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/archives/1999/09/13/0000002387