American Immigration Process, for rich people only?

I-130 form to begin the process- $180 US

Medical Exam after interview is scheduled- 6,000NT (while only giving us a choice of 2 hospitals, effectivly monopolizing the Medical Exam for Green Card business in Taiwan)

Application for Immigrant visa - $335 US !!!

No longer being able to support your wife because of this - Priceless?

excuse me for asking, but isn’t your avatar the chicago city flag? i just there on business. stayed at the chicago atletic assocation. lovely place. the view from the dining room is spectacular. anyway…

chicago is chock full of foreigners. the placed looked like a 64 color crayon box of humanity with michigan avenue as a resplendent backdrop for humanity’s rich, beautiful parade. seems that a huge chunk of the jobs that haven’t been outrsourced or automated are being done by working class foreigners. the waiters couldn’t comprehend english, nor could a good many of the taxi drivers. the factories we visited had virtually no “old stock” americans in any positions other than office/management. foreigners are turning the gears of everyday life in america.

if the american dream is only for the rich, how is it that so many of the folks working in america are first generation migrants?

[quote=“axiom”]I-130 form to begin the process- $180 US

Medical Exam after interview is scheduled- 6,000NT (while only giving us a choice of 2 hospitals, effectivly monopolizing the Medical Exam for Green Card business in Taiwan)

Application for Immigrant visa - $335 US !!!

No longer being able to support your wife because of this - Priceless?[/quote]

What’s the cost of the INS background check on applicants?

And the hospital bill?? What you think INS gets a cut?

Sorry Dude -
Plan your move and accept the costs.
Sanctimonious titles suggest maybe you should consider staying in Taiwan. A-Bian cares for you!

I made it clear to my wife from the very beginning that SHE would have to pay all these outrageous fees from her own pocket. And guess what, the lady still had the nerve to ask me to go to some interview for her application down at the consulate. It took a full 15 minutes. What a waste of my time. :unamused:

User pays. It should be no other way. If you think this is all too expensive, then perhaps you should have considered these fees before marrying a foreigner. Tax payers who are single or who married locals back home should not have to cover these costs.

Hah! Pennies! You should try going to Australia! Think THOUSANDS of US dollars for a visa!

UK settlement visa was

Imagine the cost of the settlement visa to any of these countries if you have no one to marry you or you’re already married…as an independent immigrant…hundreds of thousands.

Yeah, that’s definately the Chicago flag on my avitar. Never had a problem using English there. Even in ChinaTown, everyone spoke Chinese and English, perhaps you just had unimaginably bad luck. Now the Southwest of America, there’s where English is a minority.

Oh Oh I’m from Chicago too, near Midway Airport! When I say Chicago, I don’t mean those crappy suburbs either!

And to be on topic, those prices are dumb. :sunglasses:

The Aussie spouse visa alone is A$1,245, or US$982 !

immi.gov.au/allforms/990i.htm#index

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“axiom”]I-130 form to begin the process- $180 US

And the hospital bill?? What you think INS gets a cut?[/quote][/quote]

No but I wouldn’t be suprised if some AIT people take a cut of that.
Afterall, remember the news about some AIT officials requiring blowjobs from some Taiwanese girls in exchange for tourist visas.

[quote=“panda”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“axiom”]I-130 form to begin the process- $180 US

And the hospital bill?? What you think INS gets a cut?[/quote]

No but I’m pretty sure that AIT people take a cut of that[/quote][/quote]

Is that libel or slander? Prove it. :slight_smile:

I edited it while you were replying. Too quick on the gun JDS

Just curious, any specifics regarding this allegation?

Just curious, any specifics regarding this allegation?[/quote]

Nope, no specifics. Why, you need some? Do a search of the China Post, maybe you’ll find some.

A few years back, there was a Taiwanese guy who was doing this. It was a big scandal and he got fired or worse I imagine.

The only thing I remember from it was that some Taiwanese women came
forward to the media about being subject to the above mentioned abuse.

Yes, but we never found out if she got the visa or not! lol

[quote=“panda”]The only thing I remember from it was that some Taiwanese women came
forward to the media about being subject to the above mentioned abuse.[/quote]

she came forth AFTER the blow-job, right? Hah

Anyway, it seems logical that AIT gets a cut from the Medical exam…it took my wife a half-hour to do it, and it wasnt anything different from the ARC exam (save the shitting in a cup part). The ARC exam can be done just about anywhere, and costs a very reasonable 1,000NT. Maybe it’s not logical that they recieve a cut, but it definately seems sketchy that they only offer 2 places in Taipei, and 1 in GaoXiong, to do it (perhaps they have a connection there, who knows)…regardless, it’s bullshit to have to pay $6,000NT for something that typically costs $1,000NT in Taiwan.

[quote=“axiom”][quote=“panda”]The only thing I remember from it was that some Taiwanese women came
forward to the media about being subject to the above mentioned abuse.[/quote]

she came forth AFTER the blow-job, right? Hah

Anyway, it seems logical that AIT gets a cut from the Medical exam…it took my wife a half-hour to do it, and it wasn’t anything different from the ARC exam (save the shitting in a cup part). The ARC exam can be done just about anywhere, and costs a very reasonable 1,000NT. Maybe it’s not logical that they recieve a cut, but it definately seems sketchy that they only offer 2 places in Taipei, and 1 in GaoXiong, to do it (perhaps they have a connection there, who knows)…regardless, it’s bullshit to have to pay $6,000NT for something that typically costs $1,000NT in Taiwan.[/quote]

hmmm, I don’t know about this. If this is true, then, right off the bat, it would seem to be illegal.