American kills himself on being given prison sentence

Thank you. He cut me off 5-6 years ago. I should have recognized that for what it was (probably stress-related) and tried harder to reestablish contact. Lesson learned the hard way.

1 Like

I knew him also from a few business discussions (on growing mushrooms of all things). He did his homework and was quite focused as Tomas said. I’m quite shocked he went this route. He obviously had taken a wrong turn somewhere along the line.
He had learned quite a lot about agriculture in Taiwan and was trying different things, he knew the agricultural centers.
I think he was a bit tired of the English teaching options and wanted something better for himself and his family. He wasn’t very happy in Changhua I think.
Don’t know why he started growing so many illegal plants , maybe hoped for a quick bundle so he could leave Taiwan?
Or got into debt or something?
Let’s put together some fund raising for the kids…anybody know where to donate some cash?

A kind response. Thank you for that. Putting the pieces together, I honestly believe he wasn’t planning to sell these plants here. He had a subjective view on laws (i.e. they are mostly arbitrary) but would NEVER hurt anyone. He was bright, humble, and a family man and would assess this as too risky. More likely he was doing experiments, learning, with the goal of returning to the USA where such activity is legal with the right permits. Or he was just experimenting because he loved growing things. This was what he told the police.

Doing a fundraiser would be lovely. His wife is a very sweet person, a dance teacher. He would not have involved her in this (news says he rented a place and didn’t live there). I will try to contact her. If anyone knows how to reach the family, please let me know.

I dont think he was using 200+ plants to grow weed… probably to make hash.
But I guess nobody will know. Pretty stupid to grow in an apartment complex unless you own the entire building, thats like a top 10 rule… location, I would imagine. Craziest of all, the same drug is legal in other areas of the world.

From what I read on reddit from others experience in jails over here as a westerner that you aren’t treated that bad because you usually are much taller and generally bigger than the natives, and if the natives or guards mess with you they know the consular or embassy will be down there raising hell. - so job security for the guards. Im not saying you get better treatment, just left alone.
Ofcourse, you cant take anything read online as fact… could have been a 10 year old posting that AMA.

He wasn’t charged with hustling drugs, which would have been a far stiffer sentence, just with possession. And he likely would not have had to serve the full 4 years.

It may have been a momentary lapse of judgement, his suicide in court. Like a fighter throwing in the towel. What was worrying is if he smuggled the scissors in though as that signaled “intent” to inflict self harm. Meaning he had had time to think it through.

Don’t know if his wife and daughters were in court at the time. IF they were and his buds were there too, perhaps he would not have done himself in and could see the “bigger” picture.

I don’t see anybody questioning the sentence meted out. It was fair in the circumstances.
I do feel sorry for him on a personal level because he was an astute and smart individual, very independent thinking, we all make mistakes and have problems to deal with outside of our control.
I was Initially more critical of him until I realized I knew him, he loved his kids and it’s really sad his kids have lost heir father, he cared for them a lot and must have been very traumatized and lost.

No it’s not. Leaving everything else aside, this was a long-time poster here who had many friends and who was more than the sum of these recent horrible actions. I don’t think anyone is under any illusions about the erroneous nature of them. This isn’t really the time for such a discussion under the circumstances–there are other threads for related discussion.

Edit: I’ve created one at Legality and ethics of marijuana and other drugs

He was a protective of his wife and kids. He would have told his wife to stay away to spare her the stress and shame, even if he was not planning to kill himself.

His family name most likely a Russian Ukrainian surname. Perhaps grandparents emigrated usa or Canada in 1950s. Premeditated suicide is hard to stop. He couldn’t stand the psychic pain and he did what all suicides do without logic or rationale. Impulsive stabbing to end the pain the verdict gave him.

Its posts like this that make me cringe… :neutral:

What was this guy’s User name on Forumosa?

It would be against our rules on outing to do so. I don’t think there’s any pressing reason to announce it.

Thats fine.

How very, very, very sad. :cry: Enjoyed his company at a number of happy hour events in the early 2000s and corresponded with him through PM a number of times during the years. He always came across as a thoughtful, helpful and genuinely nice person. :2cents: My condolences to his wife and two kids.

I knew him years ago. He had been in Taiwan for about 6 months when I first arrived. He was teaching English in a little school in near Hsing Dien. I’ve been back to the states for about 9 years now and haven’t heard from him in a long time. I just wanted to say that when I knew him he was a pretty good guy. He was a very good teacher. After working with him for a few weeks I remember thinking “that’s the kind of teacher I wanted to be”. He was kind, caring and patient with the kids and had a very “dad- like” demeanor. I just wanted to share that when I knew him he was a pretty good guy. I have many fond memories of him.

1 Like

That´s terribly sad. Rest in peace man.