American with Taiwan born Parent: TARC, NWOHR, NHI, Dual Citizenship, Double Taxation,

I am genuinely curious, why did she renounce her citizenship vs move-out her HHR?

Yep that means he has household registration. The A means Taipei, and the 1 means male.

it’s the same confusing “my parent’s Huji was moved out for being overseas”, are they still Nationals with HHR when I was born situation many overseas born child to a Taiwanese asks themselves at one point. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Yes. HHR does not expire. It can be moved around but it never ceases to exist unless you renounce your citizenship.

Yes, your father needs a current address in Taiwan which means technically he needs to be living here. Of course, this can be circumvented if you have a friend in Taiwan who is willing to move your father’s HHR into their address. They will need your father’s full name, DOB, and ID number. Last known address might also help.

Yeah it is just so confusing…because I thought the rule meant the parent had to have active HHR during the birth of the overseas child, but even though their HHR expired, it is still HHR I guess and makes me eligible for NWOHR to full citizenship.

1 Like

Is HHR just the Shenfenzheng ID number on the passport or is there a special document he needs to get from the HRRO? And is it possible to get a Power of Attorney to get his HHR on someone’s address…I assume it means I would have to “move-in” his HHR somehow. Wish there was a place where all the steps were laid out haha :frowning:

The citizenship she took up required her to renounce her previous Taiwanese one.

its good to know HHR doesnt expire, i was reading some posts that were a bit old and I think @Hayashi was running into problems i think, with an expired HHR of a parent, so I was unsure :)
(pasting the thread below, still a newbie here :blush:

Here’s the quote from @multipass’s thread (cue depressing music here):

This unfortunately seems to match with my case:

1. Deceased ROC parent
  2. HHR currently inactive
  3. Descendant born overseas
  4. Need to prove HHR was active during the date descendant was born. :sob:

1 Like

It’s just a virtual record in the government’s database of your father’s vitals (name, DOB, marriage info, family relations, address, address history, etc.). It CAN be a document if you choose to print it. The printout is called “Household Registration Certificate” but you are not required to print it.

Just ask a friend in Taiwan to move him into his address. Power of Attorney is not required. Your friend in Taiwan should know how to do it. They’ll just need your father’s full name and ID number.

1 Like

I’m not really an expert on NWOHR due to having Taiwanese parents, I am NWOHR due to naturalisation

But a few answers, you/your dad can sign a power of attorney on a specific form so someone can act on your/his behalf at the HHRO.

The rules have changed recently but from what I understand anyone born overseas to a Taiwanese parent with household registration can directly apply for household registration.

You will need to know all of the rules yourself and print out copies of the law and bring them with you when you speak to TECO/NIA/HHRO as they rarely know what they’re doing and think they have more power than they actually do.

Previously there were different rules for children born to Taiwanese parents with their HR moved in vs moved out and they had different TARC rights (the right to work). This seems to not exist with the change of the law

1 Like

Once you get your NWOHR passport, go to or call a HHR office to ask them the procedure to get household registration for your particular situation. Have as much info about your parents as possible like their ID numbers. HHR is the only place to register, get an ID number, and thus become a full citizen. If you have a close relative like an aunt/uncle/grandparent it can make things easier as they have access to 戶口謄本. These laws are new so they may not have the SOP down right away

Actually the first thing they should do is to go to the NIA to obtain a residence certificate, which they will need to bring to the HHR office to obtain their HHR.

I don’t have it yet (I just got a new job), but I plan to use it to get my teeth a bit more in order, and maybe even fix my ingrown toenails… Except for the compulsory one for my ARC, I never had a physical before, it’s been 16 years since I’ve seen a dentist and I’m sure there’s a couple of teeth that have gone to hell, I still have my wisdom teeth, and I’ve been having to just put up with my toenails digging in until I clip it with the nail equivalent of what looks like a set of wire cutters. Why? I’ve been flat broke from 2008-2018, couldn’t afford insurance for myself and I might as well scrounge up the cash for the kind that companies used for “malicious compliance” with Obamacare (e.g. give your employees some lousy coverage with a $10,000 deductible and 45% off thereafter, or pay a fine), and even when I had the means, I didn’t have any major red flags.

After that, it’s more of a safety net; if I have something pressing, I hope that I’d find a job that has a decent insurance and/or I’m in a position to afford it in the US, but for anything minor that can wait that is less than a flight to/from Taiwan, then I’ll just wait for that.

Either way, if I’m paying for dirt cheap NHI and paying taxes, I might as well use it to my advantage.

what is the residence certificate (in Mandarin) called? So is the process for me as a NWOHR as simple as going to Taiwan and then NIA to obtain a “residence certificate” then go to HHR office to add my father to someone’s existing Huji Tengben and then add me on it? So there are no requirements for my birth certificate, parents’ marriage certificate, FBI fingerprints? I am really hoping it is not as complex as the TARC application which I read here requires many documents for applying.

Do you know if all of this can even be done from the US aka overseas? Like maybe call the HHR office and ask them to help my dad’s original Huji Tengben, maybe in digital form? The thing is he only knows his ID number (on his passport) and does not have his ID or Huji Tengben or anything, and his parents who maybe were the head of household are already deceased. I am not sure if the HHRO will helpful if I only kniw my dad’s ID number… :frowning:

You’ll need those to apply for a NWOHR passport, which is unrelated to obtaining a residence certificate, which is unrelated to obtaining an ID. They are all separate processes.

Passport is obtained from TECO (MOFA), Residence Certificate is obtained from the NIA after arriving in Taiwan, and ID is obtained from your HHR office.

To obtain the Residence Certificate 定居證 (AKA Exit & Entry Permit 出入境證)you’ll need your father’s ID or Household Registration Certificate (after being added to a friend’s household), a health check result, and a notarized translation of an authenticated FBI report (authenticated by TECO in the US, translated by you or anyone, and then notarized by any notary public in Taiwan).

To obtain your ID at the HHR office, you’ll need your Residence Certificate (AKA Exit & Entry Permit), proof of address (unless being added to your friend’s household in which case you will need their ID and signature stamp if they don’t accompany you in person), and a recent photograph.

1 Like

As I said before, this part is not done by you or your father.

Because your father isn’t really moving back to Taiwan, you would need to ask someone in Taiwan to lie to their HHR office and pretend that your father is moving in with them, and request that your father’s HHR be moved to their address. This needs to be done by the head of that household, and not you or your father.

Of course, the proper way is for your father to actually move back to Taiwan and provide the HHR office with proof of his new Taiwan address (bank statements, utilities bills, rental contract, etc).

1 Like

Would it be possible for me to maybe get a 6 month rental contract and then add him on it? (my own HHR) or I guess it does not work like that?

It would require my dad’s HHR to be moved on someone’s existing address.

Also I assume his HHR is still in the system (which can tracked if I provide the HHRO his ID number on his passport?). Because currently his passport is his only form of identity to TW.\

Edit: another question, since the process to full citizenship is now quicker (no more TARC), how long do you think this process would take now? like 1-2 months from my arrival into Taiwan? Since it looks maybe I need someone to put my father’s HHR on their address (which can possibly be done with me not being in Taiwan). And I go to Taiwan to get my ID and then be “moved-in” on someone’s address (the address which my father is on).

You can’t add anyone to your household because as a NWOHR you are, well, WOHR (without household registration). Your household will be under your landlord’s name. Maybe you can pay them to do it for you.

Yes.

I answered this question here yesterday.

Just so the logic is right I want to see if you see any gaps in my thought process. I checked out the thread you linked, it was very helpful and you had listed out some of these steps.

Things that can be done abroad:

Apply for NWOHR, looks like that doesn’t require FBI background check

Get someone (e.g. relative if available) to take my dad’s HHR and “moved-in” to their address. This step can be done remotely (would just need to call the person who is already residing in Taiwan).

Get FBI background check (authenticated by TECO Washington?) for Shenfenzheng ID application

In Taiwan:

Then enter Taiwan with NWOHR (I read another post it seems like the entry/exit permit isn’t needed?)

Then get health check from a local Taiwan hospital

Then go to to NIA to get a residence certificate (not sure if I need to bring a translated birth certificate, or translated marriage certificate to be notarized by a notary public in Taiwan).

Then go to HHRO of the person who “moved-in” my dad, and ask them to “move-in” under that person’s address (the Hukou Mingbu?)

If applicant is a male (i.e. my brother, he also needs to get QiaoJu Overseas Compatriot Status)

Also do you know if there is a document checklist for someone applying for Full citizenship (ID card)? I really would like to get things I can do overseas off the checklist.

It also looks like besides the FBI background check, TECO will not be really involved in the process once I enter Taiwan.

And what is worrying me if there is any step that physically my dad to be in Taiwan, he is unable due to health, but I can get a POA if needed. I don’t know if I am over worrying about this.

Thanks for the help !

Also adding @Macaroni2628 , good to see another applicant with maybe a similar profile to me, do you of anything additional documents that might be needed to finally get a Taiwan ID? :slight_smile:

1 Like