American with Taiwan born Parent: TARC, NWOHR, NHI, Dual Citizenship, Double Taxation,

Thanks this is helpful! Also, why does the NWOHR passport application on the 2nd page ask us to “paste copies of nationality proof.” Do they mean in the box? I was just going to maybe clip my parent’s Taiwan passport copy (scanned) to my passport application, but not sure if it is done differently? And it says it needs “originals” too…so maybe I need to mail my parent’s actual Taiwan passport in as well?

Wording of the application below:

“For the first-time applicant, please paste copies of nationality proof (e.g. parent’s nationality document(s) together
with applicant’s birth certificate/Resident Certificate for the Taiwan Area) inside the box and present the originals for
verification.”

You don’t need to paste, just bring originals and copies of proof of your ROC nationality when you go to TECO.

For me it was my naturalisation certificate, for you it will probably be your dad’s passport, and your birth certificate. They also wanted a copy of my Australian passport but I think that was just for proof of my name

If you are applying by mail I think Taiwan issued documents it’s OK to only provide the photocopy cos they will verify authenticity. Foreign documents you would need to post the original and photocopy. - I could be wrong

2 Likes

No need. They are the ones who issued your parent’s passport, so they have the info in their database. They just need a photocopy of it so they can look it up.

And no need to paste anything. Just enclose with your application.

You’ll need to prove your Taiwanese nationality, your foreign nationality (since you are not applying as a stateless person), and your residency in the state of the TECO’s jurisdiction.

In your case, you’ll need to send them a copy of your parent’s Taiwan passport (to prove their nationality), your authenticated birth certificate original and a copy (to prove you are a child of said national), your other parent’s passport copy (can be a foreign passport if not a Taiwanese national) to prove their identity, your parent’s authenticated marriage certificate original and a copy (to prove that the two people listed as your parents are married to each other), a copy of your US passport (to prove your foreign nationality), and a copy of your US State ID (eg. Driver’s License) to prove your state residency. Originals for the latter two are not needed.

The application instructions don’t list all of the required documents above, because they are different for everybody depending on their situation and how they acquired Taiwanese nationality.

3 Likes

Thanks this makes sense now! I I also stumbled across this “name change document” that I think is needed for one of my parents that is non-Taiwanese… my Chinese terrible and I am wondering what is "關係人 (Interested Person) :
稱謂 (Appellation) - " ? Is that just my English Name and my preferred title like (Ms.)?

Link Below:

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/uploads/sites/111/2014/01/中文姓名聲明書pdf版.pdf

Btw this might be complex or Im not sure…do you think it is necessary to get my parent’s (dad’s) name change document authenticated? He got a document when he changed his English name so the name on my birth certificate is different from his current English name.

No need. This document is for changing names.

Also, your foreign parent most certainly doesn’t need a Chinese name if they don’t live in Taiwan.

You will just need to provide a photocopy of some kind of legal documentation that shows both his old name and his new (current) name. For my mother, it was noted on the back of her US Certificate of Naturalization. It doesn’t need to be authenticated.

This is required for the NWOHR passport application.

Hello all,

I just got my NWOHR passport from SF…I heard I am able to get HHR in Taiwan as my mom had HHR at the time of my birth (I was born in US), except she is unable to come back to Taiwan with me. She hasn’t been back since the 90s I think, and is too old to make the trip.

I heard there is a power of attorney I can get, but how does the whole process work? Just seems a bit unclear and TECO yelled at me saying they cannot help.

Is there a way online my mom can 遷入戶籍 / move in registration? I was only able to find the move out one. Also, besides her Taiwan passport that she renewed for me recently, she no longer has her 戶籍謄本 and ID card.

How do I navigate all of this? Just feel a bit scared since I feel I’ll be in Taiwan with all the missing documents and they will send me back home :frowning:

Also, besides the FBI Check (it needs to be TECO authenticated?), health check (go to a hospital in Taiwan?), do I still need bring copies of my parents marriage documents and my birth certificate … or was that just for the NWOHR passport process.

Thank you all.

Congratulations on getting the NWOHR passport.

I haven’t gone through the HHR process myself under the new law, but there are several threads on the topic here on the forum.

In general, I think the main hurdle you will have is actually establishing a physical residence in Taiwan in order to get HHR. If you have a relative (or maybe even friend) who is willing to let you use their address for HHR, then that should work, but will require your relative or friend to produce some documentation proving the property ownership and so forth. It gets more complicated if you don’t have anyone in Taiwan who will let you use their address. In that case, I think, you have to find some rental property on your own, discuss with the landlord in advance that you plan to register HHR there (apparently, many landlords will object, though the law requires them to comply with your request), and finally sign a rental contract. Then, once you have a rental contract and are actually living at that address, then you should be able to register your HHR at that address. It is still unfortunately rather complicated because apparently the standard, widely-available rental contract form might not be enough for the HHR office, and they might want a “notarized” contract, which is more difficult to obtain. However, apparently the law says that in case you cannot provide the correct notarized contract or other supporting documents to prove your residency address, then the HHR office may actually send someone to come by your physical address to see that you are living there, talk with your neighbors/landlord, etc. After physical verification, even without supporting documents, then the HHR office should allow you to register HHR at that address.

Here’s another related thread that you might want to read through: HHR and the new 2024 changes .

2 Likes

As I’ve come to find out, TECO does tend to be unhelpful and kinda lazy; I’ve had to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for them to even budge on my scenario. I know what you mean about SF; the lady I spoke to did sound like she was at the edge of imploding from having severe job burnout LMAO.

For the HHR’s PoA, it could be downloaded here; other Forumosans or even asking the HHR office might be more helpful, but in my opinion, since her passport is valid identification and has her national ID# on it, that should suffice. Although a photocopy might be enough for verification, you might want to bring her physical passport just in case, since when I was applying for a new HHR copy they wouldn’t let me proceed without the physical copy, but then again I was already in Taiwan and staying with her.

I also don’t know if you are within your authority to do so, but if your mom has another copy of her passport photo, MAYBE you can use the same PoA to help her apply for a replacement ID card to make some processes a bit easier; again, might wanna consult HHR on that.

You might also need your father’s information too; my case was a bit of a nightmare since the medical examiner’s office took his ID, and he didn’t have a passport when he passed away. I arrived during the time where you needed to stay here for at least a year and they made a huge deal about the documents and wouldn’t let me continue without it, but they lifted that requirement on 1/1, I finally got the relevant papers authenticated and translated by notary after the aforementioned struggle, but it went from being a huge roadblock that needed several months of going back and forth to the HHR office saying that they no longer needed it, but I insisted on adding it to my mom’s records just to ensure I don’t run into any problems getting my residency papers from the NIA, and I’ve been a citizen as of this past Friday afternoon!

1 Like

It’s true. It’s not their problem.

You need to get in touch with the National Immigration Agency and eventually the HHR office of your new residence in Taiwan. They’re the ones responsible.

2 Likes

Has anyone run into the problem of being Taiwan-US dual citizen and then getting the 台胞證 to visit/maybe live in China?

As an American, I got a visa to China a few years ago and am wondering if I would run into trouble now as a Taiwan US dual citizenship and applying for a taibaozheng to visit.

I had thought China doesn’t recognize dual citizenship and I’m confused how they would treat a U.S. Taiwan dual citizen.

For PRC not for the rest of the world.

I have multiple citizenships and use the 台胞證. They don’t care how many citizenships you have as a non PRC national.

2 Likes

Ok, interesting, I thought PRC wouldn’t recognize Taiwan citizenship, since they didn’t recognize the Taiwan passport? So I assumed PRC would view Taiwan passport holders as PRC, and then US Taiwan citizens would have trouble.

Would having a China Visa, from a few years ago (still active, think it was a 10 year China visa one) on my US passport cause any issues?

Your US passport and China visa is useless if you are using the 台胞證.

Just use 台胞證 or use your US passport and China visa. They won’t care either way. You can’t enter China using both your US passport and 台胞證

PRC issues the 台胞證 because they don’t recognize ROC passports. The same as Taiwan does not recognize PRC passports. One cannot enter China on a Taiwan passport and a PRC citizen cannot enter Taiwan on a PRC passport.

You need to stop conflating that the PRC does not allow its citizens dual citizenship. You are not a PRC Chinese citizen.

3 Likes

Voldemort?:thinking:

1 Like

That’s good to hear they don’t view the Taiwanese as “PRC citizens”. . That was my biggest worry, that my past US China Visa would cause problems.

Are US Taiwan dual citizens with 台胞證 common? I can’t believe theyre rare as I’m sure many do business in China.

Any updates on using taibaozheng as a U.S. Taiwan dual citizen?

Yes very common and not just US citizens but many ROC citizens with citizenship of other countries. You seems to think only US ROC citizens.
I am not a US Citizen but hold citizenships of other countries and Taiwan.

1 Like

For the POA, does that need to be authenticated by TECO?

I hope not, but you never know since I feel almost every document has to be authenticated by TECO nowadays.

The POA asks for 印章 which I think is the stamp signature…which my dad doesn’t have anymore having been away from Taiwan for a long time.

I’ve never had issues with it. Why would they know you’re a US citizen? And why would they care even if they knew? As far as they’re concerned, you’re Taiwanese Chinese. Your US citizenship is irrelevant to them, and unrecognized.

Same thing would happen in the US. Your Taiwanese citizenship is unrecognized and irrelevant to the US if you’re a US citizen.

Yes, they do. All Taiwanese are PRC citizens as far as China is concerned (more specifically, the Taiwanese flavor of PRC citizen). That’s why they make us enter using a Taibaozhen instead of a passport. Because to them, we are only traveling between two different provinces within the same country.

What’s the problem with that?