American with Taiwan born Parent: TARC, NWOHR, NHI, Dual Citizenship, Double Taxation,

Knew it was too good to be true LOL! Ah well, us commoners will have to go the longer route then.

Life wasn’t meant to be easy for us mere mortals. Cursed with renunciation.
Choices Choices lol

1 Like

I am, but I didn’t mention it because it’s not really relevant to this discussion (and because you can already tell from my name :slightly_smiling_face:).

1 Like

fyi

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ussea_en/post/9147.html

I must have said, uptodate hhr is not required.

more accurately, citizenship by decent. your parents should have had hhr when you were born.

@danglingtreegold Here are some terms you might wanna get familiar with considering you are already going the citizenship route:

1. NWOHR–> National WithOut Household Registration (無戶籍國民)
  2. HHR–> HouseHold Registration (戶籍)
  3. HHRO–> HouseHold Registration Office (戶政事務所). This is the place where they handle all applications concerning Citizenship & IDs and keeps records of your household, ppl living in your household, marriages etc. This place serves mostly Citizens, that means you will hardly meet any foreigners there (unless if 2 foreigners want to get married and register their marriage)
  4. NIA–> National Immigration Agency (移民署). This is the place to go for all matters concerning your current residency status. They issue ARCs, APRCs and TARCs. This place serves mostly foreigners, that means you will hardly meet any Taiwanese there.
  5. TARC–> Taiwan Area Resident Certificate (台灣地區居留證). You will need this once you enter Taiwan as a NWOHR and decide to live a year at least before getting your Taiwan ID.
  6. MOFA/BOCA–> Ministry Of Foreign Affairs/Bureau Of Consular Affairs (外交部領事事務局). This place handles all matters concering VISAs, Passports, Attestations etc. You might have to visit them during your stay in Taiwan. Both departments are located in the same building.
  7. MOI–> Ministry Of The Interior (內政部). This is the actual Govt. Dept responsible for granting or denying Citizenships to ppl seeking to get Naturalized. You may or may not have to deal with them as you are applying for Citizenship by descent. The HHRO is under the MOI.
  8. “Activating” HHR–> 初設戶籍. This means you must have a permanent address in Taiwan (by way of owning a house or renting). You have to do this as a last step before actually getting the Taiwan ID (身分證). Once you complete the process, you will get the 戶口名簿 (HHR Booklet) and your own ID.
3 Likes

So from my name I’m a satellite citizen?

1 Like

Cool! So you’re a Triple Citizen? HK, US & Taiwan?

well, in HK there has always been a very lax implementation of the nationality law of China, so it’s a “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach, many ppl have HK passport and other (mainly Western) countries passport. Same in Macau where the few real macanese chinese (not came from the Mainland) have basically all portuguese and macanese passport.

BNO is a separate case as not proof of citizenship, so not a “full” passport in traditional terms, and can’t be passed onto offspring.

Then you all need to consider what actually means to be a HK citizen? For 98% of the things, PR in HK gives u all rights and privileges of citizenship bar the passport and the possibility to apply for the home return permit for unhindered travel to China. U can even apply for APEC travel cards being a PR in HK regardless of ur nationality, and can even join the “national” teams of HK as technically membership is on a strict residency basis (in many cases PR is not even required, I could have joined the HK skiing team haha. Yes, it exists and I met the former trainer!)

An alien :alien:

Yup.

You don’t automatically lose HK citizenship if you acquire a foreign one if that’s what you’re talking about. To lose HK citizenship you need to sign a form testifying that you obtained another citizenship.

Thanks for your help, these abbreviations are all way clearer to me now. My question is, at what step do I need to re-activate my parent’s HHR (it’s expired as they don’t live in Taiwan anymore)? From this forum, I gathered that I don’t need my parent’s HHR to be renewed until I apply for Taiwan ID (身分證), or do I need to renew their HHR when I apply for a TARC? I am a bit confused on if I need to get my parent’s HHR renewed in any step of the process of me finally getting an HHR (which I’ve read here is the equivalent to what people call ‘citizenship’).

Also, where would I look for their HHR number? (I assume it’s a number, though not sure). Do I have to go to Taiwan and physically go to an office (the HHRO), or is there a way I can look this up online? My thought is I first get my NHWOR passport, enter Taiwan, then apply for TARC (or can TARC be applied abroad as well?), then go to the HHRO (not sure which one, but I know the parent was in Taipei) to find their HHR number, and reactivate on their behalf?

Hey there! I’m still figuring things out on this site …how can i PM you here?

Click on my name and click either message or chat.

when you apply for tarc, your parents’ martiage should be registered on their hhr. it can be done from overseas via teco without reactivating their hhr.

Since your taiwanese parent is alive, you may also be said their hhr should be moved in from overseas to taiwan, to apply for tarc, but it may not be impossible without doing so.

instruction to apply for tarc is here
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/141954/cp_news

chinese version with more details on required documents

i guess you mean national id number or unified id number, and it should be on their national id card and passport.

iirc, you need to get their non updated moved out hhr for your nwohr passport. (you may check the instruction i linked in some previous post, or could confirm at your teco.) you can get it by mail.

you cannot reactivate their hhr on their behalf. they need to enter taiwan on their taiwanese passport by themselves to do it.

Assuming they enter Taiwan (not sure if he can due to his age) and reactivate the Household Registration (HHR), would he need to find a place of residence or a friend’s (he doesn’t have any relatives or friends I know of there) to add himself to their HHR?

Also, kind of a noob question, but I keep running into this block…is HHR (Household Registration) a number like the National ID?

Also you are saying he not necessarily has to reactive his HHR for me to apply for TARC?

hey, I get “This user’s public profile is hidden.” when i click on your profile. not sure if my account is too new or something.

Ok I messaged you.

1 Like

It’s not a number. It’s an address. The US equivalent would be the address that’s on your driver’s license which is your official address that the government has on you in their records.

(The only difference is, a Taiwan household registration also contains information about the relationships between all parties living at the same address, which a US driver’s license doesn’t contain.)

When someone asks “what’s your household registration?” they are asking for your official place of residence.

When someone asks “please give me a copy of your household registration” they are asking for your Household Registration Certificate which is a piece of paper (there is also a booklet that looks like a passport) proving your official residence address which the government has on file for you. It’s supposed to be the address where you live.

If a friend asks “can you add me to your household registration?” they are asking you to allow them to use your address as their official address. (You are only supposed to do this if your friend actually lives with you.) In this case, your Household Registration Certificate will show two people living at your address, and will show your relationship (in this case: “roommate”).

If you want the HHR office to look up your father’s household registration information, you would provide them with his National ID card number (which is the Taiwan equivalent of a US Social Security Number). This number is a Taiwanese citizen’s main personal identification number, and it stays with you until you die.

Well, I guess you technically become a citizen when you get your NWOHR passport, but that’s a quasi-citizenship because it doesn’t actually grant you any rights or privileges in Taiwan. When your name and address is registered with the HHR office, that’s when you “have household registration” and that’s when you officially become a full citizen of Taiwan, and receive all associated rights and privileges and responsibilities. It’s like getting a US Social Security Number after a baby is born in the US. That’s when the baby officially and willfully becomes a US citizen. (Except in the case of Taiwan, it’s not a number. It’s a record of your name and address and relationships.)