Americanisms

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“almas john”]

God! You don’t have your own place?[/quote]
I lease out my spare room to supplement the rent. Don’t JUDGE me or I’ll bite your ear.[/quote]
Forumosa is a hard game!

I live with my folks! Nothing more hardcore than a 35 year single guy living in his boyhood bedroom. I travelled the whole world to move a distance of exactly zero feet.

1 Like

Wow. I’m not sure “hardcore” is the right word though (unless you’ve seen the movie Bad Boy Bubby and enjoy a similar situation).

Wow. I’m not sure “hardcore” is the right word though (unless you’ve seen the movie Bad Boy Bubby and enjoy a similar situation).[/quote]
More like “Freddy got Fingered” in Mr Hill’s case, no doubt.

Break a leg.

Now I do love that. Having done a lot of theatre it warms me heart. That and the “Scottish play”.

Like in Okercoke Island over dar in 'Note 'Cakalacky.

W.C.+ water closet-This was when indoor plumbing was installed in houses around the 1900’s they put the toilet in the most available closet, hence the name water closet. In most of North America the toilet is the device which one puts excreta into.

That means shit, piss and vomit. So when my Kiwi relatives ask me where the toilet is I say “in the bathroom”.

At catholic school they called in “the lavatory”, Daddy’s a Marine so he called it “the Head”

Here ya go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavatory#Lavatory

I would prefer to use ‘bathroom,’ ‘washroom,’ or ‘restroom’ instead of explicitly asking someone where the toilet is. It sounds crass to me and invokes visuals that I would rather not have. :blush:

When I’m in a nice restaurant I usually ask, “Could you please tell me where the restroom is?”

Just my opinion: bathroom is okay, washroom is fine (but maybe a little Southern?), restroom seems the most non-offensive to me. I totally agree that it’s crass to ask someone where the toilet is. Too much information!

Where’s the can?

Ha, where’s the bedpan?

Outhouseisms should be the next thread…

I call it the snakepark (you know,… the place where the business heads hang out).
Anyway where I come from we ask, Where the nearest tree?
Haha :smiley:

“I went to the bathroom, just where you told me, but there was no proper toilet, so I laid a large log in your bath. I hope you don’t mind. Oh, and there was no paper, so I had to use that big white towel to wipe with. Thanks: I hope you don’t mind the feet prints on the edge of the bath. In Taiwan, the crapper was generally much smaller, and recessed into the floor, so one didn’t feel quite so much like falling off in mid-shit. Still had to provide one’s own paper, though.”

crapper, little room, dunny: all far more meaningful than ‘bathroom’ or ‘rest room’, or even the wondrous ‘powder room’, now swiftly fading into the sunset of Grandma Doris’s memory haze. “I’ll just be off for a minute to powder my nose.”

I don’t really see where a euphemism hides things, because you all know what the euphemism is used for. If you didn’t, there would be no point.

“My uncle passed last week.”
“What, cancer? The poor guy.”
“No, his high school exams, you ignoramus.”

And yes, Chris: gardez l’eau: mind the water as i empty this 'ere chamber pot out the window onto your 'ead!

You mean dropping out of use because of all the bankers that got laid off? In the height of the bull market “powder room” was rather apt in many instances.

HG

OK, how about the dreadful word, “entrée” for the main course at a meal.

the derivation of this word is from the French, meaning entry, and it is so close to entry that it’s origin and meaning are glaringly apparent, or at least should be.

Now I have seen Americans propose their own unique viewpoint here as to the meaning of the word in debates as to whether or not the “entry” to a meal was the first main course, but that’s a simple sillilogism*, surely…

every eater knows that the entrée, the “entry” to a meal, is the first thing you eat, normally to get the juices flowing, as it were, and these may be variously also known as petits plats, appetisers/appetizers, etc. ( probably not including hors d’oevres, as these are clearly meant to be eaten away from the table, i.e, out of the list of courses) , and then thse may well be followed by a soup, or a salad, or a fish, and then the main course: the meat dishes.

I like Americans (well, some of them), they just talk funny.

• sillilogism: really silly thing to say.

[quote=“urodacus”]OK, how about the dreadful word, “entrée” for the main course at a meal.

the derivation of this word is from the French, meaning entry, and it is so close to entry that it’s origin and meaning are glaringly apparent, or at least should be.

Now I have seen Americans propose their own unique viewpoint here as to the meaning of the word in debates as to whether or not the “entry” to a meal was the first main course, but that’s a simple sillilogism*, surely…

every eater knows that the entrée, the “entry” to a meal, is the first thing you eat, normally to get the juices flowing, as it were, and these may be variously also known as petits plats, appetisers/appetizers, etc. ( probably not including hors d’oevres, as these are clearly meant to be eaten away from the table, i.e, out of the list of courses) , and then thse may well be followed by a soup, or a salad, or a fish, and then the main course: the meat dishes.

I like Americans (well, some of them), they just talk funny.

• sillilogism: really silly thing to say.[/quote]

So we use entrée to mean “main course”. Big hooey.
Everyone knows what it means, which is, as a clever young fellow like yourself knows, pretty much the acid test for any localisation of language.

It ain’t like we drop a whole freaking meat pie into a bowl of baby-vomit coloured soup and then put freaking ketchup on it…
Whole deal looks disturbingly like the last time I got bad teppanyaki and had a 14-hour both-ender, projectile resurfacing the entire freakin bog…

Mmmmmm, fair dinkum…

you photograph your own POO? ooooer.

personally, I’d never eat that. That’s British food, I’m sure.

and it’s not true that everyone understands what it means. in fact, that very misunderstanding has led to some rather funny situations at restaurants, i am sure.

but then i could care less ( to quote another sillilogism). Sheesh! just because your particular in-crowd knows what that incorrect turn of phrase might really be meant to mean, doesn’t make it correct all of a sudden ! :unamused:

[quote=“urodacus”]

and it’s not true that everyone understands what it means. in fact, that very misunderstanding has led to some rather funny situations at restaurants, i am sure.[/quote]

No! Fuck knows what that is.

I didn’t know what it meant until I went in Taiwan. I just thought it was a Taiwanese menu translation blunder. After all, corn was on the menu at this establishment.

[quote=“urodacus”]you photograph your own POO? ooooer.

and it’s not true that everyone understands what it means. in fact, that very misunderstanding has led to some rather funny situations at restaurants, I am sure.

but then i could care less ( to quote another sillilogism). Sheesh! just because your particular in-crowd knows what that incorrect turn of phrase might really be meant to mean, doesn’t make it correct all of a sudden ! :unamused:[/quote]

I’m just kidding about the sinker, I like them, it’s just one of those foods one should eat behind closed doors.
I can, however, assure you, sir, that, were you to travel across the great expanse of the Northern Americas, you’ll find use of entree (accented or otherwise), indicating the main course, to be the consistent standard employed in the hospitality industry.
You sir, would, in fact, find yourself the subject of much derision and hoo-hawery, from Alice to Anchorage, from Ucluelet to Placentia, from Big Sur to Little Neck.
And that, sir, is no sillogism.

I am ever so aware of this, in fact, that is the main reason i have been cowering away in foreign lands, places where English is definitely not their strong point (places like Australia, NZ and Taiwan), so that I never have to face my fears, and the cruel jibes that would inevitably come my way were i to set foot in that great home of freedom of expression that is the good old USA.