Americanisms

If by “airplane”, you mean “jet airplane”, Sir Frank Whittle was from Earlsdon, Coventry, not Somerset.[/quote]
Where was he from if I don’t mean “jet airplane”, then? (Which I don’t.)

[Edit: flippancy aside, I mean this.]

Yeah, a toy aeroplane, but the first real airplane was invented in America…fuck yeah![/quote]
Is that another one of those myths that they teach you depraved lot in middle school?

“Ruggedized” was a recent one I heard a friend of mine spout. She had worked for a computer company in the States which made laptops for the military. Their laptops were all “ruggedized”!

I got that from school football.

If by “airplane”, you mean “jet airplane”, Sir Frank Whittle was from Earlsdon, Coventry, not Somerset.[/quote]

[Edit: flippancy aside, I mean this.][/quote]

I guess I had Stringfellow and The Wurzels confused, since The Wurzels have a renowned understanding of scrumpy and all things Somersetian … as well as Cheddar. But how do The Wurzels relate to Stringfellow and his steam-punk scifi model plane? Where’s the pilot?

I hope TGM can elucidate.

[Edit: flippancy aside, I mean this.][/quote]

I guess I had Stringfellow and The Wurzels confused, since The Wurzels have a renowned understanding of scrumpy and all things Somersetian … as well as Cheddar. But how do The Wurzels relate to Stringfellow and his steam-punk scifi model plane? Where’s the pilot?

I hope TGM can elucidate.[/quote]
You’d get thirsty building the first ever powered flying device. They didn’t have Perrier water in those days. And what better to accompany your cider than a few hunks of mature Cheddar?

That would be “hard cider” to our cousins across the pond. As for Cheddar, I don’t think there’s an equivalent term for that. Just call it “real cheese” if you like.

I think American police probably have to use the term vehicle because no one is actually sure what was being driven. In the rest of the world, cars do not resemble eighteen wheel trucks or military equipment, so it’s pretty obvious when someone is driving a car.

Touché!

Touché![/quote]

I only know of one kind of cheese and that is American Cheese…I’m talking 'bout some Kraft Singles - fuck yeah!!!

Touché![/quote]

I only know of one kind of cheese and that is American Cheese…I’m talking 'bout some Kraft Singles - fuck yeah!!![/quote]

Poor bastards over there, must be a tough live…

Touché![/quote]

I only know of one kind of cheese and that is American Cheese…I’m talking 'bout some Kraft Singles - fuck yeah!!![/quote]

Poor bastards over there, must be a tough live…[/quote]
I actually read somewhere that Americans melt PROCESSED cheese on their hamburgers. The mind boggles… :astonished:

Cheesas, is there nothing holy over there?

Touché![/quote]

Haven’t you forgotten the other American abomination, Cheez Whiz?

Well, cuz (pidgin, = cousin) et al., … in NEW England, Vermont (frog influence) and NEW Hampshire are famed for “rat trap cheddar”… so living in the land of real cheese is known to me. I know “rat trap” in merrie OLD England now means “speed camera”.

Nothin’ like a nice slice of pasteurized processed cheese food . . . best thing since sliced bread. In fact, it’s the best thing on sliced bread.

Shit-can: as (V) “Let’s shit-can this thread. It’s annoying.” / as N. " We’d be in the shit-can if it weren’t for the French hating the English so much and saving our ass."

My favorite American-isms…

“Creeper” - i.e., “He is being such a creeper. Ugh.” or “I dont want them to think I’m a total creeper, but it may be too late”

Adding "Mc" onto anything. i.e., “Hey Creepy McGee” or "Hey, dont be a Bitchy McBitcherson" (I think I might have coined that one though, so it may not be an Americanism)

Epic. I was at an academic conference where someone was giving a presentation about a topic in linguistics…she basically studied a bunch of nerds and was reporting that one of their colloquialisms was “epic” as in “This burger is flipping epic”. She described it to mean “cool” or “rad”. I sat there thinking, I’ve used “epic” for years now…and I guess it puts me into some bizarre subculture but I have to say, epic is extremely handy on a day to day basis.

Fail “Fail Whale” or “Struggle Bus”. - both denote epic fail. If youre doing poorly at something, failed to complete something you wished to succeed at, was recently caught in an unsavory or awkward situation…youre a fail whale. “Struggle Bus” can be used describe the same, it can also be used to sum up very quickly just how awful/awkward/embarrassing/failure-esque your story was. I.e., “Oh my goodness, I was running late all day, all my tones were terrible when I was speaking and I ordered the fried chicken eyes instead of mian bao and it was so hot today and class was so tiring…it was just…struggle bus.” Honestly one needn’t even place it cohesively into the sentence, it can just be inserted.

“I pulled the trigger on a new bike yesterday.”

Moron, shooting a perfectly good bike~

[quote=“NomNomTaiwan”]Epic. I was at an academic conference where someone was giving a presentation about a topic in linguistics…she basically studied a bunch of nerds and was reporting that one of their colloquialisms was “epic” as in “This burger is flipping epic”. She described it to mean “cool” or “rad”. I sat there thinking, I’ve used “epic” for years now…and I guess it puts me into some bizarre subculture but I have to say, epic is extremely handy on a day to day basis.

Fail “Fail Whale” or “Struggle Bus”. - both denote epic fail. If youre doing poorly at something, failed to complete something you wished to succeed at, was recently caught in an unsavory or awkward situation…youre a fail whale. “Struggle Bus” can be used describe the same, it can also be used to sum up very quickly just how awful/awkward/embarrassing/failure-esque your story was. I.e., “Oh my goodness, I was running late all day, all my tones were terrible when I was speaking and I ordered the fried chicken eyes instead of mian bao and it was so hot today and class was so tiring…it was just…struggle bus.” Honestly one needn’t even place it cohesively into the sentence, it can just be inserted.[/quote]
I’d call these more Internet slang. Probably originated in online gaming or 4chan…

Because America is the land of business, everyone else seems to take their lead. I hate it when business bullshit jargon (tautology, I know) enters the rest of life. I hate it how in business jargon, all nouns become verbs. I especially hate “network” or “workshop”. For instance, “Let’s network a solution!” or “Let’s workshop a solution!” How about we just look for a solution? Or even just discuss a solution? Then all these stupid terms enter the vernacular because some fool was given the green light to blue sky penciling in some face time to workshop a solution to the fact that the English language seemingly doesn’t have enough verbs already. What the fuck? Really, what the fuck?!