Americans' attitude toward life in Asia: hicksville

Why would you want to do that?

According to what I hear, the law is being changed, so you can have both … !!![/quote]

Shocking… isnt it… lol Passing a language test in Mandarin will preclude many :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i know exactly what sam vimes is talking about. people can’t figure out why ran the man would want to live in “TA WAN or whatever they call they place”.
tell them i pay only 3 bucks to see the doctor and don’t have to wait more than 5 minutes and it still doesn’t get thru.

tell them i can walk thru Da An park at night without getting killed or even approached for a robbery and it doesn’t get thru.

tell them people here can make friends with you in 5 minutes and it doesn’t get thru.
tell them we have some of the prettiest girls in the world here and they think of some ugly Hollywood version of what Asian girls look like.

tell them we have an excellent MRT and they think about the “packers” in Tokyo, jamming people in like sardines.

tell them about school unifomity and they think about a bunch of kids bowing and saying, “yes we shall destroy America”.

tell them what you want. even if they came here they wouldn’t see it because it’s their mindset that keeps them from seeing. frustrating.

sam, i’ll be swinging thru Houston in Oct. i was thinking of driving up to austin. you free?

If you can afford the price of housing. . .

[quote]in the Bay Area, now the largest center of Asian life in the continental United States, the sheer size of the Asian community – 1.3 million people – and its growing influence make it far easier for the Chous and their children to maintain a bicultural life.

Language schools teaching Vietnamese, Mandarin, Hindi and Tagalog are abundant, with more than 90 Chinese-language schools in Northern California and 1,500 students at the Fremont Chinese School alone. Children of immigrants perform classical Indian and Filipino stick dances between soccer and baseball games. Asian groceries and restaurants fill countless strip malls while boba tapioca tea shops proliferate almost as quickly as Starbucks. . .[/quote]

mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn … 412562.htm

Although I speak only a few phrases of Taiwanese, I’ve used them at the Chinese restaurant near my parents house in the East Bay, and the owners were thrilled that i knew their native tongue.

The Bay Area includes not just San Francisco but also the Silicon Valley:

thegreenbook.info/santa_clara.htm

Here’s a list of bilingual Chinese-English schools in the Bay Area:
fccncalif.org/schools.htm

And once your kid/s get a little older. . .

berkeley.edu/news/media/rele … hool.shtml

Don’t get me wrong. I like Austin. I’ve had a great time there. Beautiful countryside, great music scene, hi-tech industry, etc. And if a large black and mexican population satisfies your need for diversity, then I guess one is all set. But Texas doesn’t have a huge Asian population as far as I know. If that’s reaaaally important, California or Seattle might be better locations. I’ve thought about this issue because my brother’s trying to talk me into moving to Denver, where he lives. Colorado’s a great state, but I believe it’s way to white for my family, so I think we’ll move to the coast.

[quote][quote=“rantheman”]I know exactly what sam vimes is talking about. people can’t figure out why ran the man would want to live in “TA WAN or whatever they call they place”.
tell them i pay only 3 bucks to see the doctor and don’t have to wait more than 5 minutes and it still doesn’t get through.

tell them I can walk through Da’an park at night without getting killed or even approached for a robbery and it doesn’t get through.

tell them people here can make friends with you in 5 minutes and it doesn’t get through.
tell them we have some of the prettiest girls in the world here and they think of some ugly Hollywood version of what Asian girls look like.

tell them we have an excellent MRT and they think about the “packers” in Tokyo, jamming people in like sardines.

tell them about school unifomity and they think about a bunch of kids bowing and saying, “yes we shall destroy America”.

tell them what you want. even if they came here they wouldn’t see it because it’s their mindset that keeps them from seeing. frustrating.
quote][/quote][/quote]

Wait a hot second! You mean you LIKE it here???

Welcome home rantheman. Good to see you brother. :slight_smile:

I know. Don’t those idiots realize that Taiwan is a province of China and not a city in China? Jeez.

I know. Don’t those idiots realize that Taiwan is a province of China and not a city in China? Jeez.[/quote]

Teeheehee! :notworthy:

Moderator’s Note: Discussion about the relative merits of Taiwanese and American education systems, split to here:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight=](Taiwan vs US education system

[quote=“Bassman”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Sam Vimes”]Good to see I’m not alone.
Does anyone else have relatives who were never able to figure out whether you spent so many years living in Taiwan or Thailand?[/quote]

When I go back to upstate NY and note all the girthy women I say, “Because in Taiwan there’s a one woman, one ass rule.”[/quote]

That, my friend, caused my beer to burst out my nose.[/quote]

I owe you a beer then…:slight_smile:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
in the Bay Area, now the largest center of Asian life in the continental United States, the sheer size of the Asian community – 1.3 million people – and its growing influence make it far easier for the Chous and their children to maintain a bicultural life. [/quote]
Though not in continental North America, as Toronto takes the prize for that. The 2000 census shows 1.2 million Asians in a population of some 4.6 million people: about 26% of the population. I don’t have any later figures, but the astounding number of immigrants that Toronto receives, most of whom are Chinese, could very well put that 2005 figure upwards of 1.5 million or higher.

Toronto - Visible Minority Status

Interesting stuff, these demographic developments.

I can honestly see these “American’s” POV, although I am a Canadian having lived in TW for over a yr.

[quote=“Sam Vimes”]This reaction included:
[list=1][*]If Asian education is so great, why are all Asians so desperate to come to America?
[/quote]

As U mentioned in your post, Asians have a stronger work ethic, and hence can get farther in the US than in Asia by working the same amount. There is more human commodity/capital in Asia, so its worth LESS.

[quote][*]Why would you (i.e., me) want to give up all the opportunities in the US to go to a region of dirt-poor wages and poverty?
[/quote]

This is true, sure you may not be the one getting the dirt-poor wages and living in poverty, but a large portion of your neighbours will be. Don’t U feel a little uncomfortable living in an area with a huge disparity between the rich and poor? I believe this is what they may have been referring to.

True although you would be getting rich, the people in the surrounding areas would be incredibly poor.

Yes you would, but the average person there will still be dirt poor, if not you, than its gonna be 10 others to compensate.

On the bright side, although there are poor ppl in the U.S., its not on the massive chronic level you find in China and Taiwan.

Plus for decent education in TW and China you need to pay for it, at least in Canada and the U.S. (I think, not sure on this) you can go to a great local school for free, and eve others not in your area, the disparity between a private and public school is non-existent.

A good editorial regarding the chances of getting into NTU being higher if you come from a Taipei high school vs. a rural one:
taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2003064110

Stuff is cheaper in TW and China to some extent, but thats because the locals are poorer and labour is cheaper due to an overpopulation. Yet, this also means ppl must live with less because they cannot buy outside their means.

In short, if you are poor, probably safer bet to live in N. America instead of China. Obviously if U R rich and don’t care about the poor masses around you, China rockz. Plus if U R rich in Taiwan/China, there’s the fear you will get kidnapped for ransom $$, I;ve never heard of that in Canada, and my neighbourhood extremely rich back home.

One TaipeiTimes article on disparity between rich and poor:
taipeitimes.com/News/world/a … 2003259873

Another one:
mac.gov.tw/english/english/m … 940527.htm

Or maybe the radio ppl were just plain ignorant and guessing, I dunno.

p.s. plz don’t consider me a communist, I believe in capitalism, but also a social and morally responsible government that shares the wealth so ppl are treated humanely.

in the US/Canada even the middle-class and poor can have a car/house/job wid decent living conditions.

In TW, ppl are relegated to driving a dangerous scooter, have to pay for education, live in small crowded dirty apartments and unable to enjoy clean streets/living areas compared to the suburbs in the US/Canada.

Unfortunately the same rule doesn’t apply to the many of the foreign men I’ve met in Taiwan.

glass, stone, houses…

Unfortunately the same rule doesn’t apply to the many of the foreign men I’ve met in Taiwan. glass, stone, houses…[/quote]
Doh! :homer:

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Sam Vimes”]Good to see I’m not alone.
Does anyone else have relatives who were never able to figure out whether you spent so many years living in Taiwan or Thailand?[/quote]

When I go back to upstate NY and note all the girthy women I say, “Because in Taiwan there’s a one woman, one ass rule.”[/quote]

Unfortunately the same rule doesn’t apply to the many of the foreign men I’ve met in Taiwan.

glass, stone, houses…[/quote]
Touche!

I can snicker, as I have an arse that looks like two puppies fighting in a sack when I walk. :wink:

[quote=“sandman”]
I can snicker, as I have an arse that looks like two puppies fighting in a sack when I walk. :wink:[/quote]

It’s alllll good if you have a little junk in that trunk :wink:

“The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin’, or so I have heard.”

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Sam Vimes”]Good to see I’m not alone.

glass, stone, houses…[/quote]

I do not believe you’re talking to me! In the backside department, I’ve barely enough to hold my pants up. But, then again, this is why I prefer standing next to the aforementioned hefty men. :whistle:

Why would you want to do that?

According to what I hear, the law is being changed, so you can have both … !!![/quote]

Hartzell,
Have you got anymore information on that?
Please keep us posted.
Thanks