Americans divided on Free Speech Online

Interesting to see how men and women differ.

This suggests a trend away from conservatism with age. That doesn’t align with my experience.

1 Like

I would think (speculate) that women

1. generally tend to be less confrontational in speech (generally!)
  2. have to put up with far more unpleasant behavior online, ranging from “dumb bitch” to “here’s a dick pic- now give us a picture of your tits”.

Only if you associate conservatism with speaking your mind freely- younger people in general are more open, confrontational, and use what older people tend to see as harsh language

1 Like

I think the first point is probably true. I’m not sure if the 2nd is? I partially agree women do have to deal with sexist BS online, but perhaps it’s more that men seem to be more ok with it? Growing up, boys do shit on each other more openly where as girls seem to not be direct about it. I grew up playing online games with lots of these abusing language and playing sports where trash-talking is the norm. Does it go too far sometimes? Yes, but men seem to build comradery with it.

I can totally understand wanting a safe place. Now men like to identify as women and it’s frustrating. Maybe I have a question about hygiene and don’t want to hear someone with a penis or surgical vagina’s input because they’re completely different. Or I want to talk about sexual harassment and a fake women comments his opinion.