Americans in Taiwan! Please Write your Congressperson

[quote]Letter of Concern for Americans in Taiwan
[Date]
The Honorable [First Name] [Last Name]
U.S. Senate/ U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20510/20515
Dear Senator/ Representative [Last Name}
I/We am/are writing to voice my/our concern about the increasing number of American rights activists being persecuted and deported by the governing authorities in Taiwan.
Over the past year there has been a marked increase in the harassment and persecution of American activist in Taiwan by the self proclaimed human rights government of Chen Shui Bian.
Unlike Taiwanese activist in the United States who are allowed to express their opinions in any peaceful manner they choose. Americans in Taiwan tend to be one of the most persecuted and censored.
Most recently was the deportation of aboriginal rights activist Scott Ezell by the police in Taidong despite a court ordered injunction.
There was also the harassment and deportations of five American labor activist: Richard C. Abraham, Ralph Edward Mangrum, David Wayne Westerman, Todd Darrin Carlson and Joe Drexler of the Paper, Allied-Industrial, Chemical And Energy Workers International Union on hunger strike to protest the dissolution of the pensions and wide spread pollution caused by a Taiwanese company in the United States.
Most famous of all was the slanderous vilification and persecution in the Taiwan mediafollowed by the subsequent deportation of African American rights activist and celebrity Charles Macalister. All of these individuals’ deportations were undertaken not in a transparent nature befitting a country that upholds the rule of law and human rights but in the form of arbitrary sentencing by a martial law style police state that refused these people the right to trial or judicial oversight.
When law enforcement officials in Taiwan flaunt the law and refuse to yield to the superiority of the courts, there is little hope for the rule of law in Taiwan. Instead, Taiwanese society will continue to function under fear, violence and oppression. Riots, crime, economic decline in the face of unbridled globalization and the continued degradation of Taiwan

[quote]When law enforcement officials in Taiwan flaunt the law and refuse to yield to the superiority of the courts, there is little hope for the rule of law in Taiwan. Instead, Taiwanese society will continue to function under fear, violence and oppression. Riots, crime, economic decline in the face of unbridled globalization and the continued degradation of Taiwan

Did you view the evidence posted on the web pages below documenting these allegations?
overseasamericans.tripod.com/ove … index.html
overseasamericans.tripod.com/ove … /id39.html
overseasamericans.tripod.com/ove … /id38.html

Eric, as much as I so KNOW this to be true, well the bribes anyway, is there proof?

jdseeksthetruth

It says “If” not “because”.

You’re could at least use. Proper grammer! and spelling. But I think that this is another of your loonytunes ravings, like when you led poor Barbara Klita on for months filing “freedom of information act” demands (or whatever the nonsense was) so you could promote your gang of four, erm, organization, erm, group.

Here’s just one hint, free of charge: if you are referring to multiple people, you generally should use the plural form, i.e., “activists” instead of “activist”.

Thanks for the help with the typo
and she led me.
The FOIA request was AIT’s idea not mine but it did go a long way in removing much of the distrust the family had concerning AIT.

I don’t get it. If, as in maybe, these things happen, the US SHOULD do something??

This is very iffy isn’t it?

If these things are happening, which I think most agree are. Then they need to be addressed.
We as Americans in Taiwan have no recourse within the current system. Activists who do attempt to address these issues are being deported.
The only recourse we have left as Americans in Taiwan is to contact our elected representative and ask them to address the issue.
If the Taiwan government wants to deport a US congressman, so be it.

Hmm…I think I’ll pass, as I do not care. :slight_smile:

Please repeat after me:

eff ell oh you tee FLOUT the law

[quote]Please repeat after me:

eff ell oh you tee FLOUT the law[/quote]
I don’t think writing a letter to the US congress is aganst Taiwanese law.
But then again, this is Taiwan and we can be deported for any reason, legal or otherwise.

i don’t have a congessman or senator anymore. should i write the president?

[quote=“jdsmith”]Eric, as much as I so KNOW this to be true, well the bribes anyway, is there proof?
[/quote]
Just get yourself a video camera, go into a police station, punch an officer, and you can film all the proof you need!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. :smiling_imp:

Whether or not Mr. Lier’s facts are 100% accurate, I have to applaud what seems to be his intent – promotion of the rule of law with regard to the treatment of foreigners or any protesters, not just the superficial appearance of it.

Sadly, I don’t think objecting to U.S. congressmen will make much difference. My guess is that their reactions would be along the lines of 1) “We’ve got bigger fish to fry”, and 2) “If you want rights, come back to the U.S. … what did you expect in a tiny country on the far side of the world with a dictatorship until just recently?”

If you are a US citizen you do have an elected representitive in the US congress. You just forgot who they were.
Fill out a voter registration form for the last place you lived in the US.
If you need help PM me you mailing address here in Taiwan and I will send you the papers to fill out and assist you with it.

I guarantee you that if enough people write their congressperson about this problem it will be addressed by members of the US congress. We don’t need thousands, just a few hundred.
There are indications that previous efforts of this nature have already produced results in this regard.

well i haven’t forgotten that as a bonafide overseas resident i cannot do that.

Interesting. What would some examples of that be?

You have not lived in the US for at least 4 years?

Eric wrote:

Who’s site does the link go to? It doesn’t appear to me to be a news site. To me it just looks like someones homemade website. Which to me makes it someones opinon, not documentation.
I don’t want to bother my government with opinons without hard documentation.

Eric,
One of your links has someones deportation orders,
overseasamericans.tripod.com/ima … et=tlx_new
Seems to me to support the government.
They were here in violation of their visa.

If not in a transparent manner, why is this posted on the internet?
Who’s law do you want them to uphold, theirs, or yours, Eric?

Be careful Eric.
What is the purpose on your visa? Joining the family I assume because I think you mentioned your wife in other threads.
Becoming an activist yourself may violate your own visa.