An (almost) accident is always so close

[quote=“Stian”]My GF ask me why and when I tell hear it is for surviving a impact she look at me with a weird look and ask if they help :loco: [/quote]That poor GF of yours…What she must put up with. I’m guessing the weird look is not because she thinks the seat belts wouldn’t help. She probably just has difficulties understanding that you would plan for such a thing as an accident. That’s planning bad luck! :loco: Those are bad thoughts. You can not do that. Truth be told, you are NOT going to have an accident, so why bother with the seat belts? :wink:

I also disagree with dragonbones where he states that the drivers here are excellent.

I could easily drive bumper to bumper with the car in front and have the reactions not to hit the car - but the risk is far to high to do this because one day, there will be an accident. I couln’t do this - there is some overpowering instinct that tells me this is dangerous.

The same can be said when overtaking on blind corners or pulling out of junctions without looking - there has to be some kind of emotion or instinct removed from the mind of the driver and I can’t for the life of me work out how this could happen.

The roof to my house is 8 stories high and the gap between my building and the next one is about 1.5 feet. It takes courage to jump/step across even though the likelyhood of falling down the gap is minimal.
If I asked a local to jump the gap, they’d say I was nuts and it is too dangerous and unneccessary - they’d walk down 8 flights of stairs and up the the other 8 flights in the next building to get to the roof instead of jumping across.
However, in a car they wouldn’t think twice about overtaking on a bend - the likelyhood of having a fatal accident is far higher than falling off my building.

So why would fear work in one situation and not the other? This is something I really have trouble understanding.

[quote=“Stian”]I yelled “you are stupid” after a motorbike last Friday because it was 4 people on it and none used helmet.

Instantly my GF hit me and told me I was not polite witch I replyed “maybe I save a life one day”

I tell hear that I think all Taiwanese drivers are crap and she reply she feel we forigners don’t respect Taiwanese[/quote]

I think many locals here (not all of course) don’t realize that breaking traffic laws is being disrespectful to all other people on the streets in the first place.

They do a lot in Norway…

I once hitch-hiked from Oslo to Bergen. I will never forget the ride with three drunken Norwegians through the mountains. You know, steep cliff on one side, deep fjord on the other. Rainy day. Driver singing a song (something linke “Katrina, Katrina…”?) and overtaking trucks on a winding road without being able to see oncoming traffic. They were on a mission of some kind…

Never been in a situation like that in Taiwan… :wink:

[quote=“hannes”]

They do a lot in Norway…

I once hitch-hiked from Oslo to Bergen. I will never forget the ride with three drunken Norwegians through the mountains. You know, steep cliff on one side, deep fjord on the other. Rainy day. Driver singing a song (something linke “Katrina, Katrina…”?) and overtaking trucks on a winding road without being able to see oncoming traffic. They were on a mission of some kind…

Never been in a situation like that in Taiwan… :wink:[/quote]

onzin.com/view.php?id=2595 this I gues is somewhere in Europe(england/germany)

There is idiots everywhere, but the % off the populations that are idiots in trafick seam to be higher here.

My father in law hawe driver tecnique like a girl at hear first leson, but the agresivety as Naigel Mansell + overtaking Senna would even not dear to do:loco:

I don’t have to point out that the old car look like crap and the new onw lock 5’ft hand.
He get speeding tickets al the time ans sometime he drive from Keelung to Taipei with too mutch alcohol indoors.
I tell my GF to call the police anynymius stating she see a car driving strange on the road, but she say she can not since hear father are to lazy to work and only sitt att he’s computer playing poker so the mother has to pay anny tickets he gets.

Is this what you would exspect from a man in he’s 50’s? :noway:

Not where I’m coming from :frowning: