An example of a successful career in Taiwan

I often hear and read about how Taiwan is a career black hole for many foreigners. The lack of development opportunities coupled with the low salaries all lead to a very grim outlook.

Today whilst browsing LinkedIn I came across this profile here:

http://tw.linkedin.com/pub/steven-parker/a/b52/b34

That is quite a remarkable career, if I do say so myself. I cannot see a single mention of EFL instruction on there.

Obviously Chinese can easily be learned at any language centre, and I would say that my level of fluency is about on a par with his (although I haven’t had much public speaking experience).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7eVnYUpk0

According to this article in the Typo Times from some years ago, a talent for networking played a big part in his successes:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2008/07/20/2003417965

However what about the rest? Does one really need to be based in Taipei and have a passion for golf in order to build up experience like that?

Jeremy Clarkson once stated that “only failures run off to be expats”. Clearly that isn’t the case.

Milkbar pls. You seem to have a lot of career anxiety judging by all the topics you make.

:thumbsup: for using grammar that matches your avatar.

I think most young people who find themselves in Taiwan and like to think about the future end up with extreme career anxiety. I’m of two minds: Either I stick it out and eventually figure out a way to make a decent living here for better or worse, or I give up and go home. The latter is entirely contingent upon being able to find a career there, though, which may not be an easier. At the same time, I feel like if you stay here long enough and keep your eyes and ears open, opportunity is inevitable.

Networking plays a huge role in successful careers.

I have found that the plus-side of living here can be the opportunities that still exist in Taiwan. Many markets are still less developed than in other Countries and even larger companies are not particularly efficient.
I only came here to Instruct on a Supercar Tour originally. I think you have to meet a circle of people with the means to make things happen. There can be a lack of confidence to embark on new projects in Taiwan , without some form of “Foreign” help.
The Money and the desire is here (The lack of which maybe holds back the west now). Many Companies I visit could do with more professional help in areas like Marketing but are afraid that the wages would be prohibitive for a Foreigner.
If you get your foot in the door of a good company, I think that by working hard and giving them a real measurable benefit, you would be able to command good wages. Obviously it helps to have some kind of skill that is scarce here.
You have to make it happen as nobody else will.
Good luck.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]I often hear and read about how Taiwan is a career black hole for many foreigners. The lack of development opportunities coupled with the low salaries all lead to a very grim outlook.

Today whilst browsing LinkedIn I came across this profile here:

http://tw.linkedin.com/pub/steven-parker/a/b52/b34

That is quite a remarkable career, if I do say so myself. I cannot see a single mention of EFL instruction on there.

Obviously Chinese can easily be learned at any language centre, and I would say that my level of fluency is about on a par with his (although I haven’t had much public speaking experience).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7eVnYUpk0

According to this article in the Typo Times from some years ago, a talent for networking played a big part in his successes:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2008/07/20/2003417965

However what about the rest? Does one really need to be based in Taipei and have a passion for golf in order to build up experience like that?

Jeremy Clarkson once stated that “only failures run off to be expats”. Clearly that isn’t the case.[/quote]

Some people can weasel the foreign pet position in a big organization. This is often possible because many companies are controlled by rich families here. Get in with the right person (the chairman) and helicopter up. Fine, there are different ways to get ahead. Its not like the average taiwan manager is going to promote your foreign ass.
One guy I heard of married the daughter of the chairman of a very famous conglomerate and they opened a wine importer business to give him something to do. That is why you will see their electronics stores with a wine shop attached!

You can develop a career in Taiwan, but you can also become a master shit shoveler in London sewers. So the question remains, why would you want to do something like that? :slight_smile:

The main problem in Taiwan is that most companies are tight arses. It’s actually very easy to get a job here.

There’s no one right career. I know of a TW woman who started off 15-20yrs ago as… a cleaning lady with no network. Not exactly a hot career. Today, she’s wealthy with her own janitorial services company, ~100 employees. She was willing to handle shit, and turned that opportunity into a business.

:thumbsup: True even in EFL TW, a USD 500M+/yr market. Yes, the large monkey segment of the EFL market is mature, oversupplied, & decaying. But for those with the scarce skill of delivering rapid, significant & consistent improvement (say, +70% success rate in jumping 1 CEFR level in 75 contact hours), then EFL is a virgin market… high demand & low supply. But if your product is inconsistent, marginally effective, and takes a long time to deliver, it’ll be difficult to build a career. Like any field. Low demand, high supply.

Networking is overrated. WIthout scarce skills (or other desired assets), who’d network with you? Better to invest time & work in skills first, not networks. Networks are useless without skills backing them up. Like building bridges with nothing to trade. And skill building = high unpaid work & time… but also a high barrier to entry for others.

Outside EFL, there are “super tutors” (google):
Private tutors can earn thousands, 2012
Parents pay tutors like Davina up to £1500/hr, 2013
What justifies $400/hr private tutoring?, 2011

Maybe even a few in TW, though it’s harder to produce results in EFL than in say, math, where TW is top 3 globally. And the market is only expected to grow: Global Private Tutoring will surpass $102.8 billion by 2018.

I’d wish you good luck, but this has little to do with luck, imo. It just looks like random luck because that’s how many people choose & execute their careers - rather randomly & without much prep. Choosing a hot, high pay career? The competition will be high quantity & quality, so the odds are against you. Following your passion without market research or critically assessing your skill set & potential ceiling? That’s gambling, so some will get lucky, most won’t. Not everyone is cut out to be an elite business development director, editor, race car driver, janitor, EFL teacher, etc. And nobody can really tell you what you’re best cut out for.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]However what about the rest? Does one really need to be based in Taipei and have a passion for golf in order to build up experience like that?

Jeremy Clarkson once stated that “only failures run off to be expats”. Clearly that isn’t the case.[/quote]

I met Steven once and saw him again a few years later and he clearly remembered who i was. Not everyone in his position would have. I’d venture to guess that Steven has more going for him than the articles imply. He’s an exceptional guy.

As for being in Taipei and playing golf, yes, those would be huge. Golf here is crazy expensive so if you’re playing regularly then you’re hanging out with the rich folk already. And Taipei has the largest concentration of wealth in Taiwan.

His is a good example but I would suggest people find their own path.

Don’t worry. At my last job interview someone asked me what my job skills were, and I said ‘being an old ghost.’ I got the job.

Opening your own business can be the path of success for some.

I have never considered myself a great networker, so networking myself into a better job was not my thing. I just started out on my own 10 years ago.

Sweetie, I earn more than 90% of the people on Forumosa.

Dial down the condescension a little, eh?

Careers are simple in the corporate route. Learn to do something. If you are female, learn to do it better than the men. Add niche elements. Get experience. Don’t whine or piss the wrong people off (the ‘wrong people’ being rarely the bosses). Make sure your face fits. Manage your time carefully. Don’t tie your ego or self-esteem up in what you do for a living because people who respect you for this are bad.

What is EFL? Where exactly was the condescension?

Okay fair enough but thats like saying you’re the smartest of the Kardashians :slight_smile:

This reference I did not get. I know of former forumosans making more money than I ever hope to do.

Sweetie, I earn more than 90% of the people on Forumosa.

Dial down the condescension a little, eh?

Careers are simple in the corporate route. Learn to do something. If you are female, learn to do it better than the men. Add niche elements. Get experience. Don’t whine or piss the wrong people off (the ‘wrong people’ being rarely the bosses). Make sure your face fits. Manage your time carefully. Don’t tie your ego or self-esteem up in what you do for a living because people who respect you for this are bad.[/quote]

Shitski! I wish someone had told me before I started how easy it was!

Almost by definition, if you are in Taiwan, you are something less than successful. And for us less…erm…ambitious, that’s just fine. :slight_smile:

Here you go:

He’s a friend, but I think anyone that knew him would agree. :thumbsup:

See he did start out in EFL after all. There’s hope for us all.

See he did start out in EFL after all. There’s hope for us all.[/quote]

If you keep teaching and think about a career or a business venture, you will still teach when you are 60.

That need not be a bad thing, stable income, opportunities should abound if you actually work hard on keeping your skills honed.

If you by success means making lots of money, then you could start your own cram school, however you should find a way of standing out as compared to the other 20 schools down the road. You will teach, but you should be able to knock back more cash than if being a regular teacher.

If you do not want to teach, then look into moving out it it. Learn Chinese, get a job editing, or a job selling Taiwan stuff overseas or what do I know. It is possible, I did that once. Build your skill set, perhaps add some additional education, and network.

Then one day, you might get the high-powered and well paid expat position here or you might end up in a company giving you lots of bonus shares or what do I know. One day, your customers ask you to go get them something else, you could then establish a business serving that need. (And still teach or edit on the side in order to make ends meet while you get the venture off the ground).

I believe that we can create all kinds of possibilities if we dare and if we are ready to invest ourselves completely into them.

Most important rule: Never seek career advice on Forumosa.

I did ask for a bit of advice in 2003, however really never got any, I think.