An expat to be reaches out

My name is Evan (還是我叫泰艾凡), I’m currently a senior at Boise State University. I’m majoring in communications with a minor in Mandarin Chinese. My fiance is from Taiwan and i’ll be moving there next summer after I graduate.

I initially intend to teach English, however only for 1-2 years. My main goal is to become fluent in Mandarin and be able to do work related to my interests (which include interpersonal/intercultural communication) as well as such fields as Public Relations.

I’ve studied Mandarin for 2 years now and feel very happy to have the chance in a podunk state like Idaho to study such a beautiful language. I plan to study Mandarin often once I actually get to Taiwan.

I have tons of questions, especially relating to teaching English as a newbie in Taiwan. I’ve read through the teaching forum and have gained a lot of information, almost too much honestly though, brain overload. That said, I’m glad to find Forumosa to have discussions with others that have made the move to Taiwan.

I enjoy photography, travel, sports (favorite is ice hockey), movies, music and more.

For now I can’t think of what else to type, it’s a bit late here: 我是一個夜貓子.

Welcome to Forumosa, Evan!

I second that. Welcome to Forumosa! For many of us, coming to Taiwan was just a summer thing (or 1-2 year plan). But many of us fall in love with the place, and end up staying longer.

Enjoy your last year in college – and best of luck in your plans to come to the island!

-Hobbes

[quote=“Hobbes”]
Enjoy your last year in college – and best of luck in your plans to come to the island!

-Hobbes[/quote]

I’m trying… up until now I’ve basically just kept my head down, work my butt off in school and working (I’m paying my way through uni)… but lately I’ve realized, hey… I’m almost done and I haven’t had much fun!! I’m too busy this semester, but next semester (my last) i’ll only need 1-2 classes to graduate. As such, next semester will hopefully be a lot of fun (but at the same time i’ll also be doing a lot of prep work for moving to Taiwan).

I’m from Boise, too. :smiley:

Nice! How long has it been since you’ve been back home?

Hey golfmade, welcome to Forumosa. Do you know where in Taiwan you expect to live? I assume you will go to wherever your fiancee is from. If you can tell us a town/city, we can probably give you a lot more specific info to get you settled in ASAP.

Stu

So, you’ll be wanting a satellite dish.

welcome to the forums. i hate to be the devils advocate here, but do you have the requisite 1.5-2 years experience in PR in order to get a work permit here?

So, you’ll be wanting a satellite dish.[/quote]

Just bring your equipment.

[quote=“irishstu”]Hey golfmade, welcome to Forumosa. Do you know where In Taiwan you expect to live? I assume you will go to wherever your fiancee is from. If you can tell us a town/city, we can probably give you a lot more specific info to get you settled in ASAP.

Stu[/quote]

Will be living and working in Kaohsiung. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

[quote=“Ironman”]

So, you’ll be wanting a satellite dish.[/quote]

Yes, yes indeed.

[quote=“Josefus”]
Just bring your equipment.[/quote]

I don’t actually play, I don’t even know how to skate :noway:

Pardon?

For the first year or two I plan to teach English and tutor. Wasn’t aware I need previous experience to work in Taiwan.

to the best of my knowledge if you want to say work in marketing you need a requisite amount of time working in that area. finance is the same as is consulting, advertising, IT etc etc. all approvals for work permits go through respective government departments and they want to know why you - ahead of locals - deserve the job. experience is the differentiator.

And this is ireguardless of me being married to a local and having my ARC card on that basis?

Unless things have changed recently, for him to teach he only needs a 4-year degree and to be fluent in English (which, last I heard, they speak in Idaho. I lived in Eagle for a Summer).

To be hired in PR you have to show that you have to be qualified as an expert, either through your education (e.g. a degree in PR) or work experience (2 years, if I remember correctly).

Welcome golfmade. Are you a Broncos fan? They usually play good football up there on the blue turf. I like Tulsa.

Hm, maybe won’t be able to do a specialized field after all. My major is in communications (no emphasis) and minor is Mandarin. I’ll have to look further into this, thanks for the heads up all.

[quote=“Dahudze”]Unless things have changed recently, for him to teach he only needs a 4-year degree and to be fluent in English (which, last I heard, they speak in Idaho. I lived in Eagle for a Summer).

To be hired in PR you have to show that you have to be qualified as an expert, either through your education (e.g. a degree in PR) or work experience (2 years, if I remember correctly).[/quote]

in the OP it says teach THEN work in PR. teaching wont give the requesite experience for PR

as for having an ARC based on marriage - it may be different - best to check though mate.

Yep, one thing i’m going to miss is cool autumn days going to see the Broncos play (and more often than not destroy) other college teams :smiley:

Tulsa has had a pretty tough schedule this season, especially going against Minnesota and Oklahoma.