An Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore climate change film

Does anyone know if there’s any chance of An Inconvenient Truth being shown in Taipei. Maybe somewhere like the Taipei Picture House or other arts theatres?

It’ll play in local theaters starting Oct. 13. A friend back home told me it’s a movie that everyone should see.

I saw it in July in Canada. It is a great documentary. :thumbsup:

Great news. Thanks. I wonder how popular it will be here.

A documentary?..not quite up to the level of “Spinal Tap.”

A really funny video-
HOT AIR!

“Elect me or we will all die”

Actual Reuters Headline: ‘Gore in Movie Campaign to Protect Earth’

Warmed Over:
Al Gore’s new movie is the feel-good hit of the summer–but not much more.

Al Gore: Next Movie May Have Nude Scene

AP INCORRECTLY CLAIMS SCIENTISTS PRAISE GORE’S MOVIE
June 27, 2006
The June 27, 2006 Associated Press (AP) article titled “Scientists OK Gore’s Movie for Accuracy” by Seth Borenstein raises
some serious questions about AP’s bias and methodology.
AP chose to ignore the scores of scientists who have harshly criticized the science presented in former Vice President
Al Gore’s movie “An Inconvenient Truth.

Gore’s climate change movie dismissed
September 11, 2006 - Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane has dismissed Al Gore’s climate change documentary, saying he would not be taking advice
from an unsuccessful presidential candidate.

or

dfh

dfh

Saw it tonight.

Very thought provoking.

Very scary.

Very good.

Gore comes across well in it.

[quote]AP INCORRECTLY CLAIMS SCIENTISTS PRAISE GORE’S MOVIE
June 27, 2006
The June 27, 2006 Associated Press (AP) article titled “Scientists OK Gore’s Movie for Accuracy” by Seth Borenstein raises
some serious questions about AP’s bias and methodology.
AP chose to ignore the scores of scientists who have harshly criticized the science presented in former Vice President
Al Gore’s movie “An Inconvenient Truth.
[/quote]

A political opinion - don’t have much use for this. The scientific community, the experts who do know about global warming and climate change - are all concerned - all believe this is happening. No, I’m not talking about the pseudo-experts that the anti-environmental lobby parades around, but the real experts who actually study this stuff. I know a few of you guys who post here have great links/resources regarding this stuff, help a gal out, and post some will ya? Thanks in advance.

[quote]Gore’s climate change movie dismissed
September 11, 2006 - Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane has dismissed Al Gore’s climate change documentary, saying he would not be taking advice
from an unsuccessful presidential candidate.
[/quote]

Who the hell is Mcfarlane? Oh yeah, another politician, like they have any credibility particularly when it comes to discussing the merits of climate change and global warming. :unamused: Here’s the conclusion of the article posted just above:

[quote][url=http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/gores-climate-change-movie-dismissed/2006/09/11/1157826870596.html]Opposition environment spokesman Anthony Albanese said Mr Macfarlane was arrogant and naive to dismiss An Inconvenient Truth as entertainment.

He said the film documented the scientific consensus that climate change had led to a significant increase in both the duration and intensity of hurricanes, and a drop in rainfall in agricultural areas.

“The minister should explain what was entertaining about Hurricane Katrina and other extreme weather events,” Mr Albanese said.

Greenpeace says Mr Howard is too ashamed to see the film.

“He’s been spoiling Kyoto on behalf of the Bush administration and pushing and pimping coal exports wherever he can,” Greenpeace nuclear campaigner Danny Kennedy said.

“That’s why he can’t go. He’s too ashamed to expose his real record[/url].”[/quote]

Bodo

Saw it last night, and I believe it should be compulsory viewing. The sooner it is on TV or available for free download the better IMHO.

It’s presentation of information that should be listened to. I am not surprised in the least that opponents and sceptics are nay-saying this because Al Gore is presenting it, however, the facts are pretty concerning if those people can get their heads out of their asses for a second and listen.

climatecrisis.net/

What, you mean like Fred?

The company I work for has been pushing this film hard. They even had Gore present in person at a recent investment forum. He was very well received. Unfortunately I didn’t make the special advanced screening but thought provoking and scary are the most common descriptions from anyone that has seen it. .

HG

I heard that Al Gore hasn’t passed gas in seven years in order to do his part to save the environment. He has gained weight and his speach is languid, and those are side effects of not farting. In all seriousness the man needs to cut the cheese or he’ll pop soon.

I saw it last night as well. Excellent. I was worried about the falling asleep factor but it moves at a good enough pace to keep you entertained as well as slightly scared. I almost wished I had not bipassed my catalytic converter on the motorbike on the same day I saw the movie.

It is dumbed down to the common denominator of veiwer, but apart from that it was well worth seeing and should actually be required viewing for everybody.

Only good thing about the high fuel prices. Those that don’t want to know are thinking about changing their vehicle driving and home heating habits because they have to. I’m ashamed to come from the only other country apart from America that did not sign the Kyoto accord.

I thought the film was good but a little longer than it needed to be - at the risk of boring those who are not already into the subject. As with an election, you have to appeal not only to the converted but to the middle ground. From my point of view at least, I didn’t find anything new that particularly surprised me or shocked me.

At his best, Al Gore is a passionate and inspiring speaker. At his worst, he can be a little dull. He likes to go on about his eminent friends a lot - “As my friend the late, great Carl Sagan was saying to me…” as well as talking about himself “As I was walking across the arctic tundra (saving the world singlehandedly) I noticed…”.

That image of him walking into the light messianically was funny.

Can there be any doubt that he is running for president (if he thinks he is a candidate that can win for the Democrats)? He says he already has a mission (but doesn’t disavow a future bid). But if you want to save the world (and believe you have a moral and practical imperative to do so) you must seek power and influence and if you believe you have a good chance of winning the most powerful job in the world, surely you have no option but to run.

Good luck to him.

It’s a shame Gore didn’t win in the Florida recount. The world would be a very different place today if he was elected president.
I liked his intro: “I used to be the next president of the united states.”

It’s definitely being used as a political platform, but, well, if a guy has that much vision and concern for the entire planet, then he would get my vote.

You can’t keep putting profit before substainability.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]It’s definitely being used as a political platform, but, well, if a guy has that much vision and concern for the entire planet, then he would get my vote.

You can’t keep putting profit before substainability.[/quote]

He did get mine.

Agree, the message format might be a bit simplistic, but it does smack you right between the eyes. An ice free Artic circle in less than 50 years? Whoa! :astonished:

Now, where did I park my SUV? :blush:

[quote] Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane has dismissed Al Gore’s climate change documentary, saying he would not be taking advice
from an unsuccessful presidential candidate. [/quote]

Honestly, TC, if a quote like this and a few badly photoshopped images are the best you can do, isn’t it time to wave the white flag and admit that there may be something to this movie no matter who you prefer to vote for in elections? It must have taken some serious scouring to make such a pathetic show of trolling. What on earth does his prior candidacy have to with what he is saying? People need to get over their political oneupmanship issues and wake the fuck up. This is not conservatives versus liberals. It’s the planet is becoming inhabitable to humans. The man’s politics have nothing to do with the fact that things are very messed-up on this planet and all the “Oh, it’s just people using scare tactics, but it won’t happen anytime in even our grandchildren’s lifetimes” mentality has only expediated the disaster. Things are getting worse and it’s time everyone, particularly the United States, one of the greatest consumers and polluters on this planet, realizes that it’s not a matter of waiting for the grandkids to fix it. It’s happening right here and right now. One almost has to be willfully ignorant to not see that the planet is not geophysically what it used to be. Significant changes in the weather in almost every place are hard to ignore, yet some people insist upon it.

I, for one, would love to go see this movie. The previews I’ve seen of it are intriguing. I think it’s a story that needs to be told to all as the kick in the ass this world needs.

Indeed, I find it fascinating how a person can quickly become an expert on a documentary or film without actually going to see it.
I can think of at least one other documentary that probably has been loudly disputed by campaigners who haven’t actually seen it.
At least the internet is available for those people, so they can copy/paste other’s opinions and call them their own without giving a first hand view.
Sadly, even if there is political head burying going on, these people are not only denying themselves the opportunity to face a reality, but they also try to pursuade others to join them in their head burying.

Honestly, TC, if a quote like this and a few badly photoshopped images are the best you can do[/quote]Not the best, just all the effort it deserves.[quote=“ImaniOU”]"… isn’t it time to wave the white flag and admit that there may be something to this movie no matter who you prefer to vote for in elections?[/quote]No, why should I? Does your non-approval of the comments of others render all opinion other than acceptance, not possible? It has been widely shown that there are serious scientific flaws in the movies premises. Just as in his joke of a book - “Earth in the Balance”, I think was the title. Which I did read.[quote=“ImaniOU”] It must have taken some serious scouring to make such a pathetic show of trolling.[/quote]Pardon, but aren’t accusation of “trolling” against the rules here? Oh…you’re a “moderator”…nevermind. [quote=“ImaniOU”] What on earth does his prior candidacy have to with what he is saying? People need to get over their political oneupmanship issues and wake the fuck up.[quote]Lovely language from a child worker…Anyway, I did not make the comment. Address that to the person who did. See if they have second thoughts about their wordage.[quote=“ImaniOU”]This is not conservatives versus liberals. It’s the planet is becoming inhabitable to humans. The man’s politics have nothing to do with the fact that things are very messed-up on this planet and all the “Oh, it’s just people using scare tactics, but it won’t happen anytime in even our grandchildren’s lifetimes” mentality has only expediated the disaster. Things are getting worse and it’s time everyone, particularly the United States, one of the greatest consumers and polluters on this planet, realizes that it’s not a matter of waiting for the grandkids to fix it. It’s happening right here and right now. One almost has to be willfully ignorant to not see that the planet is not geophysically what it used to be. Significant changes in the weather in almost every place are hard to ignore, yet some people insist upon it.[/quote]Noted changes are still not attributable to anything other than the normal changes wich have always happened. Should people be concerned with what might happen? OF COURSE THEY SHOULD. Regardless of their political bent. And good solid science should be applied. Not emotional feels good hyperbole and politicized agendas. And where do you come off thinking that only liberals care about the environment? Sorry, thats not an exclusive club.[quote=“ImaniOU”]I, for one, would love to go see this movie. The previews I’ve seen of it are intriguing. I think it’s a story that needs to be told to all as the kick in the ass this world needs.[/quote]Be careful to clean your foot when you retract it. Never know what might be on it.
And then there’s this:

[quote]Gore’s flying visit questioned - Climate Science Coalition says Al Gore’s claim in movie 'Inconvenient Truth that Pacific Islands sinking incorrect
30 October 2006

A group of scientists is questioning the worth of Al Gore’s flying visit to New Zealand.

The former US vice-president will arrive for half a day next month to promote his film on global warming, An Inconvenient Truth. During the 80 minute movie, Gore argues for the need to take immediate action to combat climate change.

The New Zealand Climate Science Coalition does not accept arguments about man-made global warming. Spokesman Owen McShane claims Gore has been liberal with the truth in his film, when he says Pacific Islanders have been evacuated because their islands are drowning.

“There are no such refugees and what’s more, the Pacific Islands are not sinking below the waves. It’s a very active area. In some islands the sea level is falling and in others it’s rising.”

Mr McShane says Gore’s film is simply an opening shot in a campaign to revive his presidential ambitions.

Since opening in May, An Inconvenient Truth has grossed more than $US23.7 million in America, making it the third highest grossing documentary behind Fahrenheit 9/11 and March of the Penguins. However its foreign box office takings have been considerably less, at $US4.1 million.
home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=67192&c=w[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Gee…I guess they need that “kick in th a**.”

canada.com/nationalpost/fina … 9b1b3542ef

worldclimatereport.com/index … level-rise

Just a couple of science links.