Anchor babies in TW

A curious question for the folks here… when a kid is born in the U.S. with both TW parents and immediately brought back to Taiwan and be raised 100% in the Taiwan like all other Taiwanese kids, my questions are:

• Are these kids considered to have Dual Citizens? If not, what are they considered to be?

• Will they be treated as TW Citizenship before 21 by virtues of the TW parents? If not, will this kid be asked to renounce their U.S. citizenship if they decide to stay permanently in TW as Citizen?

• What is the common situation in TW if these kids decide to stay put?

They can only be citizens here is one parent is a Taiwan citizen. Non citizens children born in Taiwan cannot obtain ROC Nationality and those abroad need one ROC National parent…

All Taiwanese can have dual nationality and do not have to forfeit foreign nationality when reaching legal age. The legal age here is 20 not 21. The US will not require them to forfeit US Nationality is they are ROC Citizens.

However if you want to your child to go to the internatinal schools they need to enter Taiwan on a foreign passport and apply for an ARC. Just like my son. Otherwise just bring them on their ROC passport and live a nice healthy normal life here.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]They can only be citizens here is one parent is a Taiwan citizen. Non citizens children born in Taiwan cannot obtain ROC Nationality and those abroad need one ROC National parent…

All Taiwanese can have dual nationality and do not have to forfeit foreign nationality when reaching legal age. The legal age here is 20 not 21. The US will not require them to forfeit US Nationality is they are ROC Citizens.

However if you want to your child to go to the internatinal schools they need to enter Taiwan on a foreign passport and apply for an ARC. Just like my son. Otherwise just bring them on their ROC passport and live a nice healthy normal life here.[/quote]

Interesting… Thanks!

So on the flip side… my son is born and raised in the U.S. can also apply for TW Citizenship (I mean full citizenship, not just ROC passport) since my wife is a TW Citizen - yes? He won’t have to move to Taiwan to gain citizenship - yes?

[quote=“Curious Biker”][quote=“Satellite TV”]They can only be citizens here is one parent is a Taiwan citizen. Non citizens children born in Taiwan cannot obtain ROC Nationality and those abroad need one ROC National parent…

However if you want to your child to go to the internatinal schools they need to enter Taiwan on a foreign passport and apply for an ARC. Just like my son. Otherwise just bring them on their ROC passport and live a nice healthy normal life here.[/quote]

Interesting… Thanks!

So on the flip side… my son is born and raised in the U.S. can also apply for TW Citizenship (I mean full citizenship, not just ROC passport) since my wife is a TW Citizen - yes? He won’t have to move to Taiwan to gain citizenship - yes?[/quote]

Well he cannot get full citizenship without an ID card. He would be an overseas CHinese. Your wife would need to register him here on her Hukou so he can get an ID card number. He needs to live her for 1 year to get that.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Curious Biker”][quote=“Satellite TV”]They can only be citizens here is one parent is a Taiwan citizen. Non citizens children born in Taiwan cannot obtain ROC Nationality and those abroad need one ROC National parent…

Interesting… Thanks!

So on the flip side… my son is born and raised in the U.S. can also apply for TW Citizenship (I mean full citizenship, not just ROC passport) since my wife is a TW Citizen - yes? He won’t have to move to Taiwan to gain citizenship - yes?[/quote]

Well he cannot get full citizenship without an ID card. He would be an overseas CHinese. Your wife would need to register him here on her Hukou so he can get an ID card number. He needs to live her for 1 year to get that.[/quote]

You’re right… totally forgot about Hukou - key to everything. Thanks again!! We’ll get it rolling.

Hey Sat - Btw, you had mentioned that your wife is ROC but not ROC Citizen. How’d that happen? I thought ROC Citizen never loses their Citizenship even if they married a foreigner residing in foreign land.

I never mentioned anything about my wife not being an ROC Citizen.

Firstly she is an ROC Citizen, although she also is not Chinese. Born and bred in Taiwan she is.

I never mentioned anything about my wife not being an ROC Citizen.

Firstly she is an ROC Citizen, although she also is not Chinese. Born and bred in Taiwan she is.[/quote]

Sat… sorry I kept massing up your facts! I thought I’d caught that in another thread! First your son (thinking he’s Tommy :laughing: )… now your wife. I got to go slow with these things.

Thanks!

[quote=“Curious Biker”][quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Curious Biker”][quote=“Satellite TV”]
Hey Sat - Btw, you had mentioned that your wife is ROC but not ROC Citizen. How’d that happen? I thought ROC Citizen never loses their Citizenship even if they married a foreigner residing in foreign land.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Incidentally this is easy to achive. Just get born overseas. You are not a citizen until you are registered as being born in taiwan (under 20). Over 20 you need to live in taiwan for a year or so.

[quote=“pqkdzrwt”][quote=“Curious Biker”][quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Curious Biker”][quote=“Satellite TV”]
Hey Sat - Btw, you had mentioned that your wife is ROC but not ROC Citizen. How’d that happen? I thought ROC Citizen never loses their Citizenship even if they married a foreigner residing in foreign land.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Incidentally this is easy to achive. Just get born overseas. You are not a citizen until you are registered as being born in taiwan (under 20). Over 20 you need to live in taiwan for a year or so.[/quote]

Oh… I wasn’t looking into the anchor baby thing. A relative of ours in Taiwan did that. I don’t support such action. I believe at least one parents should be a citizen for anyone to acquire citizenship.

My son and I are both U.S. Citizens and my wife is now a Dual Citizens of TW & U.S. I was looking into the Dual Citizenship thing for my son. Should something happens to me, my wife would have the option of taking my son back to TW with her. I’ve thought about moving to TW myself many times but it’s just hard for me now. I think my son may have to serve the TW military if the system is still in place when he turns 18. Oh well… part of a duty to be a Citizen.

Thanks for the tips!

[quote=“Satellite TV”]I never mentioned anything about my wife not being an ROC Citizen.

Firstly she is an ROC Citizen, although she also is not Chinese. Born and bred in Taiwan she is.[/quote]
The clue to the riddle about his better half is the incongruous (but awesome) place STV lives.

Back to STV: As an Ocker, he’d be expected to live by the beach, or somewhere flat and warm. But no, he picks the highest mountain range in TW :loco: . Maybe he is really a Kiwi masquerading as an Aussie masquerading as a Taiwanese. Complicated, mate. :wink:

either that, or he secretly dreamed of being a Kiwi-but they wouldn’t let him in, and he had to settle for Taiwan as the next best mountainous island. :laughing:

[quote=“Kea”][quote=“Satellite TV”]I never mentioned anything about my wife not being an ROC Citizen.

The clue to the riddle about his better half is the incongruous (but awesome) place STV lives.

Back to STV: As an Ocker, he’d be expected to live by the beach, or somewhere flat and warm. But no, he picks the highest mountain range in TW :loco: . Maybe he is really a Kiwi masquerading as an Aussie masquerading as a Taiwanese. Complicated, mate. :wink:

either that, or he secretly dreamed of being a Kiwi-but they wouldn’t let him in, and he had to settle for Taiwan as the next best mountainous island. :laughing:[/quote]

I think I know what you’re referring to… :smiley: Maybe… :ponder:

[quote=“Kea”][quote=“Satellite TV”]I never mentioned anything about my wife not being an ROC Citizen.

either that, or he secretly dreamed of being a Kiwi-but they wouldn’t let him in, and he had to settle for Taiwan as the next best mountainous island. :laughing:[/quote]

What? You think Australia doesnt have mountains? :smiley: I didnt grow up by the coast.

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Kea”][quote=“Satellite TV”]I never mentioned anything about my wife not being an ROC Citizen.

What? You think Australia doesnt have mountains? :smiley: I didnt grow up by the coast.[/quote]
It doesn’t, it has some hills. Therefore, I submit you have a secret yearning to be a Kiwi. :laughing:
just yanking your (convict) chain :wink:

On this thread, and many others, you do good work helping others mate.

It doesn’t, it has some hills. Therefore, I submit you have a secret yearning to be a Kiwi. :laughing: just yanking your (convict) chain :wink:

On this thread, and many others, you do good work helping others mate.[/quote]

You see thats where many do not understand history about Australia. :no-no:

Firstly my family originate from Germany not England. They came out as free settlers in the 1800’s and were stone masons. :smiley: