Ancient Rome (are you thinking about it?)

Eh?

Isn’t the Pantheon the oldest continually in-use building in the world?

I think about it a lot whenever there’s a period drama that gets an MA rating.

People have only just figured why their concrete is so amazing.

Daily. I’m reading Cicero’s On Duties atm.

3 Likes

actual ancient rome? it’s worth thinking about. current popularity though…

one possible theory is that it’s an incel carryover. in the vein of famous PUA ppl, there are a lot of grifters, some whackjobs, and a few normies, all trying to capitalize on the insecure males of the younger generation for a quick buck.
some of them eat raw meat > see the liver king
some of them suggest same sex erotic bonding as tantric practice to strengthen manhood > see will blunderfield’s IG
some of them suggest beings a sexpest > andrew tate
some suggest the spartan life means cleaning your room > JP

WHY it’s so common i can’t say. it’s in vogue i guess. there’s a crisis of “masculinity”, in some public discourse. could be related :grimacing:

I can’t even

1 Like

i may have spent too much time online to the point where i associate warriors with the chodes trying to bring current men up to speed. maybe that says more about me.

edit: i mostly lurk but also a reminder to maybe read threads before contributing (thanks whiskey).

2 Likes
1 Like

When I was in Canada, they treated me with a likeness of Plato. I suppose that is more Greek than Roman; I did, however, find a hostel that attracted Roman type things. The hostel is situated in Taipei City in between the two TW-Hostel locations.

I had a very “classical” education, where we studied Latin and Ancient Greek, so I guess that cement the habit about thinking daily about Rome :joy:
Like someone mentioned about, I also think about medieval Japan quite often, but I guess that’s just because I’m a weeb :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I like the Byzantines, and first got into them when I read Harry Turtledove’s Lost Legion series, where an ancient Roman legion is magically transported to a fantasy world that is based on the Byzantine empire.

Since then, I notice more about how things around me today are still based on that ancient superpower (blows my mind every time since I live in Taiwan in the 21st century)

2 Likes

I was always into the classics as a kid (preferred Greece tbh) but then some idiot went and made Rome: Total War. That game hooked me, and I started reading a whole bunch about every minor event which popped up in-game. Had a small library by the end of it. Since then, though? Nah. The current corporate empire is incomparably broader in scope and more destructive in its effects. Rome doesn’t get a look in.

1 Like