And the name for fake cheese is ...?

Analog cheese … it’s used in more products than you could imagine … it’s only part milk, mixed with vegetable oils and other nastiness to substitute the real thing, making it easier to be manipulated the way you want …

[quote]Customization Properties that can be built into the product.

* Specialized blends
* Zero or low cholesterol
* Low sodium
* Increased or decreased protein
* Lactose free
* Altered melt point
* Shred ability, chew, stretch, body
* CUSTOMIZATION-CONTACT US-CLICK HERE Flavor Profile - sharp, extra sharp, Cheddar, Mozzarella, and flavors customized to your needs.
* Color and finished product appearance
* Reducing cost with existing properties
* Improved price stability
* Improved shelf life
* Kosher
* Special formulations for export
* Custom made to integrate with your manufacturing equipment

[/quote]

Next time you eat a Sub sandwich or a pizza … do you really think they put cheese on your food?

pasturized, processed cheese food product

HORRIBLE STUFF!

No, I really do not want to know what they put in my food.

(says someone who is nursing a stomach flue due to eating fried calamari tentacles and assorted mystery parts plus fish paste of some kind/origin unknown washed down by a tall glass of green tea made with water from who knows where)

You European guys miss the aged cheeses. I miss the fresh off the cow cheese curd and new cheeses so soft and fragrant, wrapped in a hot tortilla… I never suffered with those.

Have you tried the fresh mozzarella (pillow shapes) at Costco? Try melting that in your tortilla. You won’t suffer.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Next time you eat a Sub sandwich or a pizza … do you really think they put cheese on your food?[/quote]A lot of the cheap pizza places in the UK use that fake cheese. Awful stuff.

[quote=“Icon”]You European guys miss the aged cheeses. I miss the fresh off the cow cheese curd and new cheeses so soft and fragrant, wrapped in a hot tortilla… I never suffered with those.[/quote]Well, I like soft cheeses too. But aged cheeses are often actually safer in terms of bacteria. Apparently it’s a bad idea for pregnant women to eat some soft cheeses, especially unpasteurized ones.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

Have you tried the fresh mozzarella (pillow shapes) at Costco? Try melting that in your tortilla. You won’t suffer.[/quote]

Are you sure it’s cheese?

It says it’s organic. :smiley:

But still it’s not the same!!! Oh, well, I’ll do.

Ha, lighten up … it’s on freepatent website, anyone can make it …

Oops, they call it ‘natural’ …

I can’t see how anyone who actually likes cheese could have been fooled… Of course the crap you get on most burgers and sandwiches is nowhere near real cheese, the taste usually makes that fairly obvious :cry:

And, fake cheese for the vegetarian …

[quote] Soy milk containing cheese analog
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 4556569

Abstract:
A cheese analog product made with vegetable protein rather than dairy protein having a natural pH of about 7.0±0.5. Soy milk in the weight percent range of 9 to 19%, vegetable oil in the weight percent range of 14 to 22%, dairy whey in the weight percent range of 7 to 13%, caseinate in the weight percent of 2 to 10% and water in the weight percent range of 38 to 58% along with any flavorants and colorants comprises the water dispersion cheese analog.
[/quote]

[quote=“Ah Q”]I can’t see how anyone who actually likes cheese could have been fooled… Of course the crap you get on most burgers and sandwiches is nowhere near real cheese, the taste usually makes that fairly obvious :cry:[/quote]There’s fake cheese and fake cheese. The stuff that BP describes is the real low end. Slightly above that is the stuff that that’s made from processed re-formed real cheese.

Aha, they call it ‘Functional’ … now what’s in a name … it’s crap

Have you tried the fresh mozzarella (pillow shapes) at Costco? Try melting that in your tortilla. You won’t suffer.[/quote]

Urrrghach! Costco cheese is some of the worst. You know that American cheese has to be produced from pasteurized milk by law which kills all the flavor. Which is why they have to add flavoring to it later. Talk about processed! I think Taipei 101, City Super and Carrefour have the better cheeses in Taipei.

People, what a hoopla to make fake stuff …

[quote]Résumé / Abstract
Cheese analog samples were prepared using two different sources of fat, milkfat and vegetable oil. The rheological properties of the samples, which ranged in moisture from 42.5 to 50%, were examined using compression and stress relaxation tests. The values of peak stress (a at 50% strain) from the compression tests and the initial stress (σo), equilibrium stress (σe), and elastic constant (gt) from the stress relaxation tests, were compared. All four values were higher for the samples containing milkfat as compared to the samples containing vegetable oil. For both analog formulations, moisture content was negatively correlated with values of σo (R2 > 0.91), σe (R2 > 0.80) and g1 (R2 > 0. 94) at 40 mm/min crosshead speed. The CPMG-T2 relaxation curves of the samples were determined using a low field (5.35 MHz) proton magnetic resonance sensor, The T2 relaxation data were fit to a two-term exponential model having time constants T2a and T2b. In the model, the coefficients a and β indicated, respectively, the contribution of T2a and T2b to the T2 relaxation. The T2a value was associated with the water in the analog cheese while the T2b value was associated with the oil. The T2a value was correlated (R2 > 0. 95) with the relative proportion of water in each sample. It increased as the moisture content increased. There were negative correlations between T2a and σo, σe, and g1 from the stress relaxation tests.[/quote]

Urrrghach! Costco cheese is some of the worst. You know that American cheese has to be produced from pasteurized milk by law which kills all the flavor. Which is why they have to add flavoring to it later. Talk about processed! I think Taipei 101, City Super and Carrefour have the better cheeses in Taipei.[/quote]I’ve really liked all the cheese I’ve bought in Costco. Those Tillamook slices are pretty good, as are the champagne-flavoured big wedges and the three differently-flavoured Jack cheeses in a pack.

I’m putting the bar just above Cheddar :laughing:

Many cheeses at Costco are good, there are not too many cheeses that use RAW milk anymore … and they have to ripen for more than a month or longer to kill beasties …

Anyways, it all comes down to cost saving …

BTW, deepfried mozzarella sticks are fake cheese I believe … they don’t melt :aiyo:

I’m putting the bar just above Cheddar :laughing:[/quote]Oh, well, you’ve obviously never had REAL Cheddar then. That’s a fine cheese, up with the best of them.

I disagree; they really do have some decent stuff nowadays. Of course it doesn’t match the variety or quality of the best of the deli cheeses at Jason’s, but it’s not half bad. Have another look.

Possibly, but I guess it comes down to personal preference. More of a Gouda man myself.