...and then there's this. 🤮

I suppose this doesn’t even need a comment. :idunno:

(PS: Some people have noticed lately that there are too many threads about basically the same thing. I wouldn’t object to this being merged, if there’s already a thread about this sort of thing.)

1 Like

Well…um…welcome to present day America ?

Rhetoric matters. This person was probably already mentally unwell. But if the President is constantly banging on about building a wall and Mexicans being criminals, then that does have consequences for idiots like this who takes his words to the next level.

9 Likes

So maybe she could challenge the first amendment in her case? And alter the Twinkie defense to fit here? :thinking::thinking:

This. It empowers the lunatics and ill-read. It has seeped over to Europe, too. If The President Of The Free World thinks that foreigners and immigrants are a bunch of whores and drug-running leeches, why not stomp on a few of our own? He’s basically given us carte blanche.

5 Likes

Exactly. When the President throws a lot of it out there, well most people are not in a point in their life where they’re generally enraged enough to commit a violent, hate filled act (unfortunately, for him). As horrible as it is for the President to throw it out there in the first place.

Like making guns available to people who have mental issues, this is the same thing. A president and party complicit in filling the heads of people like this who are maybe more easily influenced, it’s the equivalent of providing them ammo.

Which is why you still cannot yell fire in a crowded theater. Words can be much more than just that in certain circumstances. The president doing it is essentially spamming the country trying to find volunteers, like this person.

The failing of 45 to continually go down this road, the buck stops at his desk.

Cue dismissive one liner about TDS.

4 Likes

So where does the line between Trump’s right to free speech and inciting violence occur?

1 Like

Obviously a big part of his MO in life is plausible deniability and technicalities. He was cheerleading security at a rally the other day to be rough with a protester they were removing. Just kidding of course, is the default escape route.

But dog whistles are legal, and cowards will happily use them. So the best answer is, when people stop tolerating it and motivate them into not doing it, in whatever form that takes, I guess?

Trump will get worse with this. If he’s about to lose the election, or lost it, he will try to rally people to revolt. Vast majority wouldn’t even think about it, but you will get crazies. And the correlation between his instruction then and the corresponding reaction by crazies could be much, much more obvious than the story we’re talking about now.

3 Likes

Finally, dissenting voices with influence from his base.

2 Likes

Obviously a big part of his MO in life is plausible deniability and technicalities. He was cheerleading security at a rally the other day to be rough with a protester they were removing. Just kidding of course, is the default escape route.

Wait until election season really kicks off. Whoo hoo, we’re gonna see some real ish.

But dog whistles are legal, and cowards will happily use them. So the best answer is, when people stop tolerating it and motivate them into not doing it, in whatever form that takes, I guess?

Too much faith in Americans IMO.

Trump will get worse with this. If he’s about to lose the election, or lost it, he will try to rally people to revolt.

There’s a tweet for that.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1142157838153895941

Vast majority wouldn’t even think about it, but you will get crazies.

You’d be surprised at what folks will do. I wouldn’t sleep on the vast majority.

And the correlation between his instruction then and the corresponding reaction by crazies could be much, much more obvious than the story we’re talking about now.

I thought it was already obvious. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post.
The Trump Effect

Trump Hate Map

The call to rise up

The killer directly cited Trump as “a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose.” But there are more subtle clues that the very worst people hear President Trump loud and clear. Hate crimes are up 17 percent since 2016. And there was the white-supremacist rally in Charlottesville—the one Trump would retroactively describe as including “good people on both sides”—which led to the death of Heather Heyer.

https://www.thenation.com/article/trump-inciting-violence-ilhan-omar/

He’s calling CT a communist rag now, which is just… :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, I’m saying what I observe. I get things shouldn’t get underestimated. But when I look at Trump rallies, I don’t see outraged, angry people in the background, ready to revolt and mob. More like people who are entertained by the spectacle of reality show star. And they are the most dedicated of his supporters of them all, among the ones who care to show their faces.

People don’t get up in arms when they have party snacks, a roof over their head, and internet. Because those people have things to lose. Trump has definitely tried to convince them they need to die on a cross for him, their situation isn’t desperate enough, nor his charisma strong enough. Especially after 3 years with the grandpa ranting about toilets record skipping over and over again.

Yes, there have been easy connect the dots situations between him and violent acts before, I’m just saying the cause of an outburst at a lost election, and a subsequent reaction, will be so obvious even the simplest goober who remains uncorrupted will be able to see it for what it is.

I agree it’s been painfully obvious for a long time.

A mentally ill person tried to commit murder, police came and arrested her, she was charged and sits in jail until she faces a judge and jury who will likely sentence her to a good deal of years behind bars. That’s “the state of America today”.

If you really believe that Trump talking about immigration and deporting people at a rate that is just under half of the Obama administration is the reason she did such an act, you have stepped so far away of the idea of personal responsibility that I wonder how you get through your lives. Rhetoric matters. Tone matters. However, Trump isn’t responsible for what this woman did anymore than Obama was responsible for when police were shot by crazy people anymore than Hostess is responsible for you shoving their products into your faces.

It’s nice you hold “Christianity Today” in such high regard.

2 Likes

Correction, in his rage, it’s ET, the…Extra Testamonial?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1207997319821615105?s=20

2 Likes

Nobody is fazed by the hyper-hyperbole and lies anymore. In fact, you can count on it and so I wouldn’t expect anything less. CT is a leftist publication. OK, if you say so.

The postmodernism is strong.

1 Like

I’m betting they’ll be up in arms as well. But it won’t happen because he’s going to be reelected.

Best to be anticipating the worst outcome I guess. And also prudent in terms of presenting that possibility to voters. Nothing wrong with campaigning on fear if you feel there’s a genuine threat in the henhouse.

1 Like

Find a statement from Obama that incites violence against police. Stop ignoring words like they don’t matter.

Here I found one for you from 2016:

President Obama said the fatal shootings of three Louisiana police were “the work of cowards who speak for no one,” telling reporters late Sunday afternoon, "Nothing justifies violence against law enforcement.”

All this talk that Obama encouraged violence against police is a crock of shit. I swear you live in a fantasy world.

4 Likes

Is Christian communism truly pomo, or is it more retro? :thinking:

As for CT, fwiw:

Tldr:

• Nixon: seriously eroded ability to function
  • Clinton: morally unable to lead
  • Trump: profoundly immoral

Let’s hope they don’t need to come up with a stronger descriptor next time.