And yet again...another shooting rampage in the USA

[quote=“rowland”][quote=“Abacus”]
Guns were used and guns are really, really easy to acquire. I am okay if you want to argue that people kill people (and not guns) but I would love to hear some ideas about how to keep guns out of those people’s hands.[/quote]

Try some lateral thinking. Put guns in the hands of everyone else and we’ll have lots more of those abortive mass shootings that don’t start a derpalanche because only the attacker died.

You do know this happens, right? Well, let’s make it happen more.[/quote]

This is by far the stupidest solution that I continue to hear from people. This is basically turning things into the Wild West. Things that were fistfights become shootouts. Awesome solution.

… senseless deaths.

Let’s also–start more fires so that we have many more fires that go out by themselves without causing any damage

Push more old people into the street so a lot more of them can be saved by heroic passers-by

[quote=“Abacus”]
This is by far the stupidest solution that I continue to hear from people. This is basically turning things into the Wild West. Things that were fistfights become shootouts. Awesome solution.[/quote]
As opposed to now, when…

Never mind. There’s no arguing with those who are convinced they’re smarter than you.

Meanwhile in the real world, armed citizens do manage to prevent some of these massacres. That’s why they target gun free zones.

nytimes.com/2015/12/04/us/sa … p=cur&_r=0

This one’s a pretty weird one.

This is by far the stupidest solution that I continue to hear from people. This is basically turning things into the Wild West. Things that were fistfights become shootouts. Awesome solution.[/quote]
As opposed to now, when…

Never mind. There’s no arguing with those who are convinced they’re smarter than you.

Meanwhile in the real world, armed citizens do manage to prevent some of these massacres. That’s why they target gun free zones.[/quote]

Take yourself away from the mass shooting situation. Put yourself into the normal everyday situation where somebody bumps into another person and it turns into a scuffle, when somebody cuts another off on the freeway and goes into road rage or someone hits on someone else’s girlfriend. Right now these are fistfights and people rarely die. If people are carrying guns then these become deadly. And often. The last thing that the US needs is more guns.

[quote=“Abacus”]
Take yourself away from the mass shooting situation. Put yourself into the normal everyday situation where somebody bumps into another person and it turns into a scuffle, when somebody cuts another off on the freeway and goes into road rage or someone hits on someone else’s girlfriend. Right now these are fistfights and people rarely die. If people are carrying guns then these become deadly. And often. The last thing that the US needs is more guns.[/quote]

This is how see average Americans? Interesting. Why such a low opinion? Granted, they elected an obvious douchebag for president, but nobody’s perfect.

Me, I see a much more obvious danger from the evil bastards going kill crazy in gun free zones. But if they’re not something to be worried about, then no need to make each mass shooting a call for gun control or for anything else.

[quote=“rowland”][quote=“cfimages”]
Homicide rates have almost halved in the past two decades.
[/quote]

How to lie with statistics.

Let me spell it out for you, here:
http://tw.forumosa.com/t/the-australia-gun-control-and-immigration-thread/88549/2[/quote]

There hasn’t been a random mass shooting since the gun ban. It’s pretty hard to argue with that.

Guns were used and guns are really, really easy to acquire. I am okay if you want to argue that people kill people (and not guns) but I would love to hear some ideas about how to keep guns out of those people’s hands.[/quote]

Try some lateral thinking. Put guns in the hands of everyone else and we’ll have lots more of those abortive mass shootings that don’t start a derpalanche because only the attacker died.

Occasionally yes it does happen, but it’s such a tiny percentage in the grand scheme of things that it’s definitely not worth hanging an argument on. Statistically, it’s a low single digit occurrence. Why are you even talking about it? When you repeat such obviously flawed NRA talking points, it says everything anybody would need to know about you and your argument.

People are trying to debate the very complex issue of gun control, and you’re talking about “the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun?” Really, THAT’S where your head is at in this debate?

Ok, have a nice day ! :loco:

Take yourself away from the mass shooting situation. Put yourself into the normal everyday situation where somebody bumps into another person and it turns into a scuffle, when somebody cuts another off on the freeway and goes into road rage or someone hits on someone else’s girlfriend. Right now these are fistfights and people rarely die. If people are carrying guns then these become deadly. And often. The last thing that the US needs is more guns.[/quote]

This is how see average Americans? Interesting. Why such a low opinion? Granted, they elected an obvious douchebag for president, but nobody’s perfect.

Me, I see a much more obvious danger from the evil bastards going kill crazy in gun free zones. But if they’re not something to be worried about, then no need to make each mass shooting a call for gun control or for anything else.[/quote]

:roflmao:

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“rowland”][quote=“cfimages”]Meanwhile.

ecclesia.org/truth/australia.html

[quote]Because of the changes made to the gun control laws in 1997, gun owners in Australia were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed, a program costing the government more than $500 million dollars. And now the results are in. After 12 months of banning firearms:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent;

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent;

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent).

Hot Burglaries are up 300% (where the intruders come in while you are home and knows that you are home).

In the state of Victoria, homicides with firearms are up 300 percent. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

Also…

articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 … gun-deaths

americanthinker.com/blog/201 … ralia.html[/quote]

Homicide rates have almost halved in the past two decades.

But maybe the Australian Govt’s Institute of Criminology, who compiles all the stats, are wrong, and some random blogger using comic sans for a title is right. :loco:[/quote]

I answer that in the other thread. Even if true a 3.2% increase is about 1 extra homocide a year. Meaningless as an indicator of anything.

No it doesn’t happen. In the cases where people have shot at an attacker it was after the rampage or after the guy ran out of ammo. Or the person attempting to take down the attacker gets shot too.

The cases in which people have shot back argue that it is ineffective and in no way would more armed people help.

I’m sure you have a blog post in crayon to dispute this.

Enforce strict gun control and adopt liberal immigration policies. Open borders to all immigrants in the name of social justice while depriving the locals of self defense. Only then can tolerance and world peace be achieved (just ask Paris).

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a Nazi.

Give love a chance,

Hugs

You’re in denial again. Plenty of mass shootings have been cut short with a relative handful of deaths. Sometimes none at all except for the perp.

Also weak on logic, as usual. Having to change your ammo clip doesn’t matter if there’s no one to shoot back.

Less that two minutes’ impromptu googling…

bearingarms.com/mass-shooting-av … ed-firing/

businessinsider.com/mass-sho … lds-2013-9

www.buzzfeed.com/RYANHATESTHIS/10-POTEN … OMEONE-WIT

Really, no one has an excuse to be ignorant of basic facts these days.

[quote=“rowland”][quote=“Mucha Man”]
No it doesn’t happen. In the cases where people have shot at an attacker it was after the rampage or after the guy ran out of ammo. Or the person attempting to take down the attacker gets shot too.
[/quote]
You’re in denial again. Plenty of mass shootings have been cut short with a relative handful of deaths. Sometimes none at all except for the perp.

Also weak on logic, as usual. Having to change your ammo clip doesn’t matter if there’s no one to shoot back.

buzzfeed.com/RYANHATESTHIS/1 … OMEONE-WIT

Really, no one has an excuse to be ignorant of basic facts these days.[/quote]

None of these stand up to scrutiny. It’s like all the other bullshit you write such as the rise of homocide in Australia or the .09 mass shootings in the US per million when there have been 355 this year.

Nothing you ever write stands up to a minute’s examination or a simple look at the math.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
Nothing you ever write stands up to a minute’s examination or a simple look at the math.[/quote]
Projecting again?

Nothing you ever write stands up to a minute’s examination or a simple look at the math.[/quote]
Projecting again?[/quote]

Get your math right and you can call me names.

The number of mass shootings in 2015 has surpassed the number of days that have elapsed so far this year. That’s more than one mass shooting PER DAY.

And as more guns are sold, the number of killings will only rise.

Imagine that: more guns, more shootings. Fewer guns, fewer shootings. HOW CAN THIS BE??? (Answer: simple math.)

[/quote]

Really, no one has an excuse to be ignorant of basic facts these days.[/quote]

I knew these wouldn’t stand up to scrutiny even without looking at them. As I was having lunch, a vegie feast as I care about the planet, followed by a glass of almond milk as I don’t care about California, I read one piece:

All except one or possibly two (as even the article admits details are murky) involved police or military doing the shooting. Yes, many were off-duty at the time, but we are talking about trained people, who no one objects to carrying weapons, taking down an assailant. That’s what is supposed to happen.

I won’t bother with the others as they are sure to be equally stupid. If you go LOOKING for examples to bolster the argument that ordinary citizens have taken down mass murderers, and the best you can find is 8 out of 9 involve military or law enforcement agents doing their jobs, then you have NO argument. The writer should have been embarrassed to have penned that. Utterly deceitful.

Here’s a takedown of that piece:

motherjones.com/mojo/2013/09 … -shootings

[quote=“Chris”]The number of mass shootings in 2015 has surpassed the number of days that have elapsed so far this year. That’s more than one mass shooting PER DAY.
[/quote]
Even left wingers are calling that one out for a lie.