• Fight Club
  • The Matrix
  • Leon (The Professional)
  • LA Confidential
  • Braveheart
  • Unforgiven
  • Fargo

0 voters

The breadth of choice for the 1990s is enormous. World cinema really took off, and became more accessible. Meanwhile there’s classic films, cult films, genre films, niche films, and films catering for every possible demographic and taste. Making a list of 32, and choosing my own favourites, are difficult tasks. So I think I’d better allow multiple voting in this poll.

Still not sure, what I’ll vote for though.

Brian

You don’t have enough, but during the latter half of the 90’s I was infatuated with HK films: “Chungking Express”, “Fallen Angel”, any thing by Wong Kai Wai.

But I also loved “Fearless” makes me cry every time I watch it. Then there’s also “Waiting to Exhale”…

My favorite was The Fugitive. Smart thriller.

Runner up: LA Confidential

There are too many films I dig on that list for me to vote for any of them, plus all these gems (just the ones from the top of my head) are missing:

Heat
Nikita
The Insider
The Thin Red Line
The Fugitive
12 Monkeys
Ghost Dog
Malcolm X
Dead Man
Donnie Brasco
The Ninth Gate (not great really, but I just absolutely LOVE this film)
Men In Black

So many good films.

I agree with Ninth Gate, naijeru. Love that movie.

Some of the movies I wanted to include in the poll, but didn’t have room for:

Once Upon a Time in China
Ashes of Time (anything by Wong kar Wai rocks my world)
Heavenly Creatures
Breaking the Waves
Princess Mononoke
The Ice Storm
Boogie Nights
Saving Private Ryan
Run Lola Run
Being John Malkovich

Not that I like all of those, but they are common favourites. Personally I voted for Pulp Fiction, Trois Colouers (Red, being my favourtie), Chungking Express, Underground and The Matrix (probably simply the most enjoyable action film ever made). Other personal faves from that great decade, which I didn’t put in the poll, because they’re not as popular include:

A Brighter Summer Day
The Four Seasons films by Eric Rohmer
Sonatine and other Kitano films
Tianmimi aka Comrades
Last Days of Disco

Brian

Mmm, good choices.

Some of my favs from the decade:

1. Reservoir Dogs
  2. Silence of the Lambs
  3. Goodfellas
  4. Ed Wood
  5. Schindler’s List
  6. Henry and June
  7. Belle Epoch
  8. Jamon Jamon
  9. Trainspotting
  10. Shawshank Redemption

Where to begin? Let’s see…I like Tibet stuff, and this was the era of “Seven Years in Tibet” as well as “Kundun.” The second was better, but the best Tibetan-language movies were never marketed so well: “Himalaya”, “The Cup”, “Windhorse”, and…there was a Chinese film whose name escapes me, I think it was “Yeshe Drolma.”

For artsy-type movies, there was “Pi” and “Baraka,” and the first “Cube.” If I had to just name one movie, I think I’d pick “Baraka” as my favorite.

For cartoons, I like “Prince of Egypt” and “The Iron Giant.” Oh yeah! And Tim Burton’s “Nightmare Before Christmas!”

Hugh Grant rose to fame with “The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain” and “Four Weddings and a Funeral.” Both quite good.

Guilty, but hopelessly genre-bound pleasures include “Stargate” and “The Fifth Element.”

“Silence of the Lambs” is one of the scariest movies ever made, equal to Hitchcock IMHO.

There were several Robin Hood movies, of which the only decent one was “Robin Hood: Men in Tights” (with Mel Brooks as Rabbi Tuckman). “Ghostbusters” was another comedy which is still funny in retrospect.

Yeah, I did think “Schindler’s List” was well-done, though I did not care for “Saving Private Ryan” (and my reception of all these is colored by my suspicion that Spielberg is just trying to milk whatever emotions he can from his audiences). “Titanic” was quite good as well.

Robert Duvall should have got best actor for “The Apostle.” Instead, it went to Jack Nicholson for “As Good As It Gets,” an otherwise forgettable romantic comedy.

For true perverts I recommend “Threesome”, “In the Company of Men” and “Our Friends and Neighbors.”

I almost forgot! The documentary, “Genghis Blues” (about San Francisco blues Singer Paul Pena, who travels to Tuva in south Siberia, and competes in a throat-singing contest)