"Andrew" Indian Restaurant in Taichung City

Original Title: “Andrew” The best Indian Restaurant in Taichung City.

Hey guys, I know a place that I want to recomend to Indian food lovers!
Last night I went to this classiest Indian Restaurant in town I found out the execellent service and inexpensive food there you guys better not miss it their address is Chang Chun street no 56 Taichung city BEHIND SOGO. :slight_smile:

You wouldn’t happen to be the laoban would you? :smiley:

[quote=“chentaiwan”]Hey guys, I know a place that I want to recomend to Indian food lovers!
Last night I went to this classiest Indian Restaurant in town I found out the execellent service and inexpensive food there you guys better not miss it their address is Chang Chun street no 56 Taichung city BEHIND SOGO. :slight_smile:[/quote]

They serve commerical lunch only for 120 per person :slight_smile:

A bit more information would be good. What did you eat? What’s on the menu? What’s the bread like? Northern Indian, southern, what?

Well I don’t know if it is North or South but the food was really good, We had a tandoori chicken and murgh makhni curry with a romali roti,garlic nan and some of the free beer.It was great. Go and try it for yourself. :slight_smile:

This is the place to be. I thought it was expensive but I walked out only paying 360 with a free beer included and the service was too good to be true I am going again next week to try out ither dishes.

Posts 1&2, 1&2 and 1! :astonished: Ummm. Now I bet if you checked the IP address! :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading this article and overdosing myself with instant curry powder I gained the ability to foresee the future! I can see the following post appearing on this thread within the next days:

This is truly the classiest Indian restaurant in Taichung city with 5 star hotel chefs a very cozy atmosphereand friendly service.The food is truly the best in Taichung.During the month of December they are giving away a free round trip ticket to India.Their address is NO56 Chang Chun street Taichung city behind sogo.Give it a try you won’t regret.

Well—3-4 months on since the last post and nothing else was every said. Is this place still around? Is there a phone number? Planning on leaving the plains of Puli next weekend and would love to try it!!

Well, I finally got round to going there today. Despite the rather odd postings earlier in this thread, the place seems very professional. Nice decor, and staff are good at explaining things.

They weren’t doing the 200NT or so commercial lunches today as it was a holiday, but the regular prices are average for Indian restaurants here. Main dishes around 160-300, various kinds of (basmati) rice extra at around 60, nice nan breads around 60-80, and the usual yoghurt, raita, and other accompaniments for not too much money. Two of us ate our fill for around 800NT. (I imagine that two people would have to be very hungry indeed to finish the 1300NT 2 person special set lunch!)

The food was pretty good. The potato and cauliflower dish was dry as it should be, and a yellow chicken curry was very nice. Seems that the sauce is made especially for each dish – not the same sauce used with just a different garnish as some cheap Indian restaurants in the UK used to do. Raita, nan both good, and there were free little bowls of sauce on the side. The rice was a little overcooked though I think that’s how many people here like it.

The service was pretty good though an over-eager (new?) waiter kept offering to remove unfinished dishes.

So, no free beer, at least not while I was there, but a nice and fairly classy restaurant, worth a visit. I’ll be going back sometime.

[quote=“joesax”]Well, I finally got round to going there today. Despite the rather odd postings earlier in this thread, the place seems very professional. Nice decor, and staff are good at explaining things.

So, no free beer, at least not while I was there, but a nice and fairly classy restaurant, worth a visit. I’ll be going back sometime.[/quote]

The food is indeed the best Indian in Taichung. It is 25% pricier than the Spice Shop or Kebabish. But delicious. However, two of my acquaintances used to work there and said it is badly run and will probably go out of business. Sandy, it is north indian food. Are there any south indian restaurants on the island? I’d kill for a dosa.

well i need to give another view

i went there 2 weeks ago,and the lamb curry i had was pretty bad,the meat was really awfull (all bones and fat)
i asked the waitress (apparently from india herself) for a very mild curry as i can’t do spicy food,and was served a really hot one,i will give it another try as i know it’s sometimes possible to get it wrong once
the bread however was really nice
don’t take the “tomato and cheese version”,it’s a sacrilege that consist of a gorgeous nan,smeared in tomato ketchup and 4 strands of cheese,they didn’t even bother melting it,so avoid
i had “popadum” too,and i understand that there might be 100’s of ways to make them,but they don’t have the best one in andrews,that’s for sure.

i left the comment card with my contact details there,the least they could do was to offer me a chance to get it right,but no words from them

still,i’ll go again,and if it’s still the same then i’ll cook my own from now on…

Tomato and cheese naan? Holy schmoley! That sounds weird!

Not that I know of. But Bitan is less than 90 minutes from Taichung and there you can find Athula and his roti stand, who’ll make you a roti wrap filled with one of four kinds of Sri Lankan curry. He gets the spices mixed by his Mum and sent directly from Colombo, and having seen your website, I KNOW that’s ringing your bells!
He’s got mutton, beef, chicken, tuna/potato, and chickpea or daal, depending on whether he can get the right kind of daal. Oops, that’s five curries, isn’t it? And the spice mix is different for all five.

[quote=“sandman”]
He’s got mutton, beef, chicken, tuna/potato, and chickpea or daal, depending on whether he can get the right kind of daal. Oops, that’s five curries, isn’t it? And the spice mix is different for all five.[/quote]

Damn! sounds great. I’m there one day.

Michael

Andrew is definatley worth going to. There Andrew Chicken is awesome and I highly recommend the lentils. Also for a good tandori chicken wrap go to the alley behind sogo (only after 4:30pm), for 60NTD you will be very happy.

i made a second visit to andrews,it was a little better but far from amazing,i asked chicken curry (which is the easiest to get right) and it still was poor quality meat (skinny old looking leg,not appealing at all)

i have now found the perfect curry place at “bollywood”,i’ll make a dedicated thread,they deserve it

wanted to try it yesterday, closed on monday :frowning: funny thing is there closed sign says go to bollywood lol.

went to bollywood as usual. great food and decent service. they just need to change thier furniture. but what u expect they been there long time.

Since this thread is a few years old, it deserves an update.

The original location (behind SOGO) was renamed “Bombay Masala” and a new (smaller) location opened on Jianxing road, opposite Bollywood restaurant. The original location (Bombay Masala) has since closed down and only the new location remains.