Android Phones sold in Taiwan thread

I need an Android phone fairly soon, trying to figure out the right phone deal here. This article has partial specs on about two dozen Android phones released or announced. techcrunch.com/2009/10/19/an … roid-best/ As we know of course, just because something is made in Taiwan doesn’t mean its sold here. Anyway here are some phones and prices I’ve found, would appreciate any additions or corrections.

I need to talk to ChungHua Telecom. Do they have storefronts? They have the HTC Hero. I think the HTC Magic is also sold here. There are many more phones that may show up here in January or later.

Wow are there really only 3 Android phones sold in Taiwan so far? Here’s what I see are the plus and minus.

HTC Hero

• big screen
  • HTC says it will run android 2.0
  • not the fastest processor
  • mediocre camera
    cash price about $20000

HTC Tattoo

• very low resolution screen
  • on the thick side
  • holds MRT card behind the battery slot
  • small
  • cheapest
  • resistance touch screen = no multitouch
  • no word on android 2.0, maybe not possible since no multitouch
  • same mediocre camera as HTC Hero
    cash price about $12000
    Taiwan DaGeDa = free with $1100/mo voice+data plan (30 month contract, pay 1 year up front)

Samsung Galaxy i7500

• best screen of the bunch (AMOLED)
  • best camera of the bunch
  • Samsung has made no commitment to Android 2.0 for it
    cash price about $18000
    Taiwan DaGeDa = free with $1398/mo voice+data plan (30 month contract, pay 1 year up front)

Well, that’s what I know. Correct me or, maybe we could add phones that are supposed to show up. Or more pricing info.

The bright lime Senao (神腦?) places are CHT.

Google apparently is releasing their own branded phone (made by HTC) in January that will come with Android 2.1. They were given out to Google employees yesterday and the initial reviews seem very positive.

[quote]There won’t be any negotiation or compromise over the phone’s design of features – Google is dictating every last piece of it. No splintering of the Android OS that makes some applications unusable. Like the iPhone for Apple, this phone will be Google’s pure vision of what a phone should be.

The phone itself is being built by HTC, with a lot of input from Google. It seems to be a tailored version of the HTC Passion or the related HD2 (Unlocker scored some leaked pictures back in October which are of the same phone).

Here are the details we know so far about the phone: It will be called the Google Phone and will launch in early January, 2010. It won’t be sold by any one carrier, but instead will be an unlocked GSM phone. In the U.S., that means T-Mobile and possibly AT&T, whose exclusivity deal with the iPhone is about to run out. It will be running Android 2.1

The phone is “really, really fast,” says someone who has seen one in action. It runs on a Snapdragon chip, has a super high-resolution OLED touchscreen, is thinner than the iPhone, has no keyboard, and two mics. The mic on the back of the phone helps eliminate background noise, and it also has a “weirdly” large camera for a phone. And if you don’t like the touchscreen keyboard, a voice-to-text feature is supposed to let you dictate emails and notes by speaking directly into the phone.
[/quote]
So as you noted yourself, if you can wait another month, there may be a lot more choices available for you.

The google phone is for employees only, just like the last one. Although there will most likely be a consumer version of it as well. However, by the looks of things, this new model is US only, but there will hopefully be a world wide version available at a later stage.

Of the ones on your list, I’d get the Hero, especially as it can be had free if you’re willing to get he unlimited data package and a call package for a combined price of about NT$1600 a month emome.net/channel?chid=114&pid=1709&gid=27

CHT also has an “in house” handset emome.net/channel?chid=106&pid=1310 although it’s sold under various names by other network operators.

Far EasTone also has their own Android handset, but it looks like a POS, although it does have a QWERTY keyboard…

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]Google apparently is releasing their own branded phone (made by HTC) in January that will come with Android 2.1. They were given out to Google employees yesterday and the initial reviews seem very positive.

So as you noted yourself, if you can wait another month, there may be a lot more choices available for you.[/quote]
Somehow I doubt this will roll out outside of the US for a while. Esp if it heavily integrates Google Voice. If they want a killer app, an exclusive Google Voice client with voip would be it. I’ve posted some info on this in the “HTC Passion” thread. Also here is a juicy leaked photo of the device Googlers received:

(The high dynamic range contrast is due to the use of OLED screen technology)

Probably not officially, but if it’s unlocked, and there is big demand for it, then it should be available on the gray market (just like iPhones were available in Taiwan long before they were available at CHT).

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]
Of the ones on your list, I’d get the Hero, especially as it can be had free if you’re willing to get he unlimited data package and a call package for a combined price of about NT$1600 a month emome.net/channel?chid=114&pid=1709&gid=27

CHT also has an “in house” handset emome.net/channel?chid=106&pid=1310 although it’s sold under various names by other network operators.

Far EasTone also has their own Android handset, but it looks like a POS, although it does have a QWERTY keyboard…[/quote]
The problem with my list is its too short. I urgently need an android phone, but I can see clear reasons I would regret those first 3 within a month. I’d regret the Tattoo because its QVGA screen doesn’t run a lot of software and I don’t see it getting 2.0. I’d regret the Galaxy because its not looking like Samsung will support 2.0 (on the Galaxy, but maybe it will on the Moment). True, the Hero is the best of a bad bunch, and I think HTC has said they’ll release 2.0 for it, but its expensive, the camera is pretty lame, and the CPU is weak tit.

Anyway, appreciate the good oil. Anyone know what the CHT in-house phone’s other alias names are? Ditto the FarEasTone. Trying to line up a Dell 3i from the mainland but no word from my man on the mainland.

Probably not officially, but if it’s unlocked, and there is big demand for it, then it should be available on the gray market (just like iPhones were available in Taiwan long before they were available at CHT).[/quote]

Except you’re forgetting the small fact that the US uses different 3G bands than the rest of the world, so it wouldn’t work, no matter what…

Probably not officially, but if it’s unlocked, and there is big demand for it, then it should be available on the gray market (just like iPhones were available in Taiwan long before they were available at CHT).[/quote]

Except you’re forgetting the small fact that the US uses different 3G bands than the rest of the world, so it wouldn’t work, no matter what…[/quote]
I think it may depend on which US carrier the phone originated from. I’ve seen a brace of T-mobile (USA) G1’s happily running here. There are even rumors they’ll bung 2.0 onto the G1. Yes, would have to confirm the details, but the first Google in-house dev phone (the G1) works happily here.

EDIT: That HTC in-house phone may be the HuaWei Pulse, the 4th one down in this article. techcrunch.com/2009/10/19/an … roid-best/

Well, I’m fairly sure Google wouldn’t want the handset outside of the US, but I guess time will tell and as no specs have leaked out yet…

The CHT8000 is the Huawei U8220 also known as the T-Mobile Pulse.

The Far EasTone handset is the Commtiva Z1 shanzai.com/index.php/market … -of-taiwan

LG also has a device coming, but dunno if it’ll be available in Taiwan lg-gw620.com/

Or you could splash out and order the Motorola Milestone from the UK for £414 (NT$22k) expansys.com/d.aspx?i=190234

And let’s not forget the Acer A1 (Liquid) expansys.com/d.aspx?i=188512

Very helpful. My thinking is, I’ll have less regret if its cheaper. I mean with a new gPhone coming out every week for the next 6 months, some kind of regret is inevitable.

The Pulse has a bigger screen but no keyboard. 3.5″/HVGA 480×320 vs. 3.2-inch WQVGA 240x400.

"The Commtiva Z1 phone is manufactured by Foxconn and features FarEasTone’s own branding. It’s loaded with Google’s Android 1.5 OS with a sliding hardware keyboard and specifications that include 3.5G, Wifi, AGPS, 3.2-inch WQVGA-(240 x 400 resolution) resistive touch screen and a 3.1 million pixel camera powered by a 528MHz Qualcomm 7225 ARM SoC. Frequencies covered include HSDPA + 850/900/1800/1900MHz and WCDMA 2100. There’s an SD card slot and software support for 3GP, MPEG4, WMV video formats. Dimensions are 110mm x 55mm x 15.1mm, weighing in at 124.6 grams.

Now to see if either will support Android 2.0. I think the Acer Liquid will, but not sure I can buy it here yet (like so many others).

Z1 brief review "Without Gmail, Youtube and Android Market, the Commtiva Z1 is just a phone. htc-phones.net/commtiva-z1-a-cur … rvice.html

Huawei 8230 review (translated from Spanish) translate.google.com/translate?u … u8230-9262

Neither seem like the answer to my dreams, but I do appreciate cheap.

Well word on the street is that the two carriers it is designed to work for are AT&T and T-Mobile which, if my understanding is correct, use the same GSM format as in Taiwan (and most of the world).

When the iPhone was originally released, it wasn’t meant to be used outside the US, but yet it was, in big numbers!

All released UMTS Android devices (and I suspect all UMTS devices in general) support UMTS 2100 in addition to any region/carrier specific frequencies. I use my unlocked T-Mobile G1 just fine on 3G in Taiwan. Same goes for all iPhone 3Gs. Taiwan has only deployed UMTS on 2100, so really if it works in the US, it will work in Taiwan.

If you are referring to 2G, all HTC GSM devices are quad-band, meaning they can connect to any GSM network worldwide. If you are referring to 3G, T-Mobile deployed on AWS1700 and AT&T is deployed on 850/1900, neither of which are used in Taiwan.

The Liquid just launched last week and is supposedly a very powerful device (it runs snapdragon). Not sure what the options are in getting this gem in Taiwan, but a fellow in #android@freenode got one in Hong Kong on launch day for iirc $440USD.

At the very least, I would wait until CES 2010 before making any decision. Even if Google doesn’t announce the rumored Gphone outside of US, we might see HTC announce their own branded version for TW simultaneously.

IMHO:
Android without the ‘touch-flo’ interface of HTC is quite boring. I have both the Hero and the tattoo for the missus, and I like them both. TO be dead honest, I prefer the Tattoo… it is cheaper, so if it goes down the bog i wont cry too much, but it is still good. I was a bit scared reading all the reviews that the touch screen is not up to the Hero’s standard, but it is no big deal. There will always be new models coming out, and they roll them out just after you bought yours, so dont worry too much!

Not all UMTS devices offer support for the 2100MHz band, many US only devices only work on the specific band(s) used by the local carriers.
Yes, it might work on GSM, but so what? You’d lose the high-speed data connectivity, which would make a grey import unit pointless. The original iPhone didn’t have 3G so it was a none issue.

Many manufacturers tailor make handsets to specific carriers demands and until more details are revealed about the new Google phone, it’s anyone’s guess as to what networks it support. If you consider that UMTS works on 850, 900, 1700, 1900 and 2100MHz and there are no single device with support for all five bands, you might realise that there are some issues. Many US devices only work on 850 or 900 and 1900 (T-Mobile is alone at 1700 in the US). So far Europe and most of Asia only use the 2100MHz band, while Australia also supports the 850MHz if I remember right. The iPhone 3G works on 850/1900/2100MHz and so does many other devices, but there’s no guarantee that the Google phone will. Take the HTC Pure on AT&T for example, it only works on 850/1900MHz, but the Tilt 2 works on 2100MHz as well. Just saying don’t get your hopes up until we know more…

HTC is generally a bit slow to get new models out here, but as long as it’s made by them, I guess it’ll turn up here sooner or later. Acer has said that they’ll have 5-6 new Android devices ready in the market during the first six months of next year, although how many of those that will be available in Taiwan is a different matter.

Does anyone know if my Taiwan bought Hero will work in with an American provider?

Also, does anyone know if and where I can download the latest android version 2.0? I am in the dark ages when it comes to tech such as this so any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Some more stuff about the new Google phone gizmodo.com/5425146/the-real-goo … ferent-now

[quote=“cjc444”]Does anyone know if my Taiwan bought Hero will work in with an American provider?

Also, does anyone know if and where I can download the latest android version 2.0? I am in the dark ages when it comes to tech such as this so any advise would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

The Hero works at 900/2100 MHz, so as long as there’s a US provider that use either frequency on 3G it will. Although you’ll still be able to make and receive calls as it’s a quad band GSM handset as well.

Any updates for your handset (not sure if 2.0 is out yet) is available from htc.com go to support and select your model and you’ll find all updates there.

The Passion (I can already envision the Mel Gibson jokes) is being distributed by Google to its employees for testing. This leads me to believe that it might in fact become the ADP3. The first and second dev phones, the Dream and Magic, were both handed out by Google to its employees. Both of those phones also supported 2100.