Ang Lee -- What the hell is he trying to say, now?

For those of you who think Ang Lee is pro-democracy, pro-green (or even non-partisan, for that matter) – think again. But that is not the main reason why I post this newsclip…

[quote]BEIJING, March 23 (Xinhua) – Oscar-winning Taiwanese director Ang Lee has expressed his hope that Taiwan should focus more on culture rather than on politics, local Taiwan media reported on Wednesday.

"Every time I return to Taiwan, I am met with various election campaigns with posters of candidates everywhere," Lee said. "I hope Taiwan can make more efforts in culture and life."[/quote]

While I agree that the election campaigning in Taiwan is much too loud and boisterous and infringes too much on people’s right to be left alone (election campaign rules are seriously needed) – that is certainly not a reflection on Taiwan’s “lack of focus in culture”. And what the hell does he mean by “culture” anyhow? In my opinion, the Taiwanese should be extremely proud of the fact that political opinion is a big part of their lives. Participation is key to a healthy democracy.

[quote] He added that Taiwan should abandon the negative political struggle which only brings destruction.

"To destroy culture is easy but to maintain and continue cultural progress is very hard," he acknowledged. "I hope more culture is added to politics but no politics to culture. Or it just resembles playing mah-jong, in which capitals become fewer with more plays."[/quote]

Does anyone know what the hell he’s talking about here? "Cultural progress is a part of EVERY society. You NEVER lose your culture – ever. It changes and evolves through political movements and otherwise. Politics is a part of culture. You cannot separate the two.

Seriously, I think Ang Lee should stick to movie-making and forget about lecturing the Taiwanese.

Source: Oscar winner calls for more culture, less politics in Taiwan

what culture?

Surely your being droll.

but this word “culture” – used in the way Ang Lee has used it – is very elitist and condescending.

EVERY society on the face of this planet has a culture. You cannot say one country doesn’t have as much “culture” as another. That’s ridiculous and condescending. And if Ang Lee wasn’t Taiwanese – it would be racist, IMO.

First post [quote=“Stop_Ma”]And what the hell does he mean by “culture” anyhow?[/quote]

Second post four minutes later[quote=“Stop_Ma”]but this word “culture” – used in the way Ang Lee has used it – is very elitist and condescending. [/quote]

How can it be read as elitist and condescending if you don’t know what he means?

I’d guess he actually means “The Arts” in his use of the word culture.

I can’t wait untill the Taiwanese recongnize that their Chinese Ancestors formed their culture.

At least the Chinese know how to operate a Communist sytem.

Democracy in Taiwan resembles Gang Warfare…oh wait…uh…nvm.

Ang Lee is right. Concentrate on what you already have and build pride from there.

Second post four minutes later[quote=“Stop_Ma”]but this word “culture” – used in the way Ang Lee has used it – is very elitist and condescending. [/quote]

How can it be elitist and condescending if you don’t know what he means?

I’d guess he actually means “The Arts” in his use of the word culture.[/quote]

You’re right. And, as you can tell, I really detest that use of the word. Because it is a illusionary measure word made for prejudice.

And it leads to making stupid comments like the following:

[quote]

"To destroy culture is easy but to maintain and continue cultural progress is very hard…I hope more culture is added to politics but no politics to culture. "[/quote]

The arts, historically, has been influenced by politics in every “culture”.

Is this Xinhua’s translation?
I wonder who conducted the original interview, and where it appeared?
It’s easy for nuances to be added or lost in translation…
Has he ever spoken out on political issues before? I think he’s made a point of avoiding it, and refusing to express a preference for any party here…

He’s not saying that, however. He’s saying that the Taiwanese need to change and become more “cultured” by ignoring politics.

Not only is that wrong, it is not good for Taiwan’s democratic system.

If you want to improve politics – fine (and Taiwan needs a lot of improvement, granted). However, to withdraw from the political process or sticking your head in the sand is not going to help.

[quote=“zeugmite”]

less politics in culture please:

Got it?[/quote]

But that’s not what you are saying at all.

You’re saying you want your own politics in Taiwan. Different politics. Non-green politics.

Lee is saying politics is interfering with “cultural development” – which is absurd, since politics IS PART OF cultural development.

And this aspect of cultural development is certainly less top-down than it is in China – or ever was under 40+ years of KMT rule.

You’re all talking complete and utter bullshit, looking for an excuse to foist your crazy pan blue/pan green propaganda. Lee wants more money funneled into the arts in Taiwan. That’s all. :unamused:

Ang Lee could take the Lee Teng-hui road and say he was Japanese… Or Irish. He could say “I am a firm believer in a United Ireland when all the people of Okinawa agree to it” or something. That would be the best course. Or alternatively “Fuck off and leave me alone you execrable shower of bastards! Like you all gave a fuck what I thought before I got the Oscar and now you’re all my best mate? Crawl back under your rock and let me make improbable films about confused cowboys.”

No. You are the one saying that. Besides, what politics is wanted will be decided in a couple of years. Under 20% approve of CSB politics at the current moment.

Politics is part of cultural development for those who are interested in it. Putting TI nutter politics into material taught in schools and forcing companies to change their names is what Lee opposes. And it is top down because it is ordered by the TI adminstration, which only has an approval of 20% at the moment. If you think that’s all right, then you should not object to anything similar the KMT did, either. But who expected greens to be an improvement over KMT anyway. Only idiots. lol

No. That’s not all he’s saying.

If it was, he would just say that now, wouldn’t he?

He’s thumbing his nose at politics in Taiwan and making ridiculous assertions about how politics is harming cultural development.

This seems to be a trendy thing to do with the hollywood elite (remember Jackie Chan?)

It’s the trendy thing to do because normal people agree. Take a poll in Forumosa.

So what? He made a little statement…at least he isn’t revolving his whole identity around it. Making little banners and slogans and stuff.

How is what he feels going to affect anyone? Is he going to make Brokeback Mountain2 featuring two gay pandas?

STOP_Ma certainly thinks so. Don’t worry, he has already added Lee to the list of people he MUST stop next.

Yes, that’s all he was saying. More art, more films, more stage plays, more culture. It was a normal remark for a film director who grew up in Taiwan and now is a major player in Hollywood.

That’s all he was saying. That Xinhua twisted his remarks for their own propaganda purposes, well, fuck them! Nobody listens to Xinhua anymore. It’s the laffing stock on world media, now that Albania has disappeared…

Last time I checked, 80% voted in 2004 and democracy is highly valued.

Again, I agree that Taiwan politics has a lot of maturing to do, but give me a freaking break!! It’s only 10 years old!!!

Instead of discouraging people to be involved with politics, I think Lee should encouraging people to change the way politics is done in Taiwan. You don’t throw the baby out with the bath-water.

Lee didn’t discourage people to participate in politics. He told pols to keep their dirty hands out of people.

No. That’s not all he’s saying.

If it was, he would just say that now, wouldn’t he?

He’s thumbing his nose at politics in Taiwan.[/quote]
Whatever you say bub. He’s a movie maker, not a politician. But he very well might be thumbing his nose at politics in Taiwan. It IS a total joke, after all. He wants Taiwan’s movie industry to be rejuvenated. End of story. If you seriously believe he gives a shit whether Ma or Greaseball does it then you’re even further removed from reality than I gave you credit for.