Continuing the discussion from Pinyin Wars Part VI: The Sound & the Fury:
I think we could turn this into a fun exercise into seeing what Taiwan would look like if we made English names of various places based off of the Chinese meaning. This would also help us learn and exercise our understanding of the Chinese culture and sometimes, the why of place names in Taiwan. I moved the posts from Pinyin Wars VI to here. Posts from the Pinyin wars thread won’t be modified because it’s not fair.
Some suggested guidelines for easy reading first:
- One name per post.
- Put a Yes/No poll in your post.
- No limit on posts.
- If possible, write both the official name and Chinese name. Wikipedia often offers the Chinese name which can be copied and pasted if you aren’t able to type it.
- Posts with a Yes winner will be put onto the list.
- If two or more names for the same place win a Yes vote, then they will be put head to head in another poll.
- If you don’t like it, you don’t have to post in this thread. Let’s keep it positive.
- Any other discussion and banter would continue as normal. Let’s have fun talking.
Entries will go here