Anglo-Saxon Historical Discussion

[quote=“jotham, post:35, topic:160121, full:true”]
I didn’t see the previous discussion as it just popped up out of the blue, so I’m not familiar with all of Rowland’s points,[/quote]
I’m not familiar with his points either, because he refuses to make them.

This is the original statement (linked to in post 3):

It was the Anglo-Saxons who invented freedom. Athens tried, but they didn’t quite get the formula right. Faith in democracy puts the cart before the horse. You have to have liberty under law before you can have and keep democracy. And before you can have liberty under law, you have to have a pragmatic and anti-stupid culture. This is what the SJW crowd are undermining.

It’s one thing to say the West is the best, and whether one agrees or disagrees, it’s at least an understandable view, in light of the current geopolitical condition of the world. There are entire books that try to analyze the claim and logical counterclaims by various objective criteria, written by rational people.

But the Anglo-Saxons are the best? :noway: Even if you make a case for England’s supremacy, the Anglo-Saxonness of “England” is still debatable – or moot to use the AS word (notice the difference?). They were something like 10% of the population back in the day, they were conquered by the French (of all people!), and once you start calling them British you have a hard time untangling them from the Celtic nations of the region, as in Charlie Jack’s clip.

If you put forward America as an Anglo-Saxon nation, you have a harder case to make than if you do the same for all the other nations of partial Anglo-Saxon heritage, from Australia to Zimbabwe (to say nothing of Germany). Why did America succeed to the extent it did? I think you should get in your time machine and ask Montesquieu et al.

You say it’s like a finish line, but who else were actually running (or competing) other than English-speakers? Mostly, they followed after American and England showed the way and it proved valuable.

It’s no use suggesting this or that alternative to the Anglo-Saxon (or Anglo-American) fantasy if there’s no clear standard against which to evaluate the competitors for an objective comparison.

(Btw if you have nothing else to do today, try counting the ratio of Anglo-Saxon to non-AS words in this post. I wasn’t even consciously trying! :smile:)