Angry South Africans take law into their own hands

More stories at link:

[quote]Angry South Africans take law into their own hands
October 09, 2005, 19:00

Communities around South Africa are angry with the police and there have been a spate of mob justice assaults and killings in the last 24 hours around the country.

People are fed up with police inefficiencies and many are now taking the law into their own hands. In Soweto two people died and one critically injured at the hands of the community. They alleged the men had been terrorizing people in Protea South in Soweto.

The survivor is in a critical condition in hospital. Residents say police took too long to get to the scene. No arrests have been made and the police have once again called on people not to take the law into their own hands.

In Eldorado Park, another 40 people have been arrested following yesterday’s violent protest at the police station. Police used rubber bullets and stun grenades to disperse the crowd which demanded that Gairoenisha Lee’s alleged murderer be handed back to them.

Police are conducting an internal investigation into allegations that they did not respond in time.
sabcnews.com/south_africa/cr … 20,00.html[/quote]

Random death sentences are a bit extreme, but it is great that the community is showing how fed-up they are. The violence in South Africa is one of the main reasons why I stayed in Taiwan initially (motivation has changed over time).
South Africa is not a safe place. In fact, it is so ridiculous right now that people just laugh when they hear of another rape or murder. Friday on the phone my mom said that a guy just raped a girl on the pavement outside a big shopping center, in daylight, at a really busy time, in my small hometown.
I hope they continue to protest outside the police stations. That might motivate government to do something, and might not only prevent any future kangaroo court beatings, but also help to prevent the rape and murder of innocent victims.

While I would never ever condone execution without trial, I can understand the frustration of the people. Eventually there must come a day when you say enough is enough. The cops aren’t dealing with the problem (only partly their fault - understaffed, undertrained and underpaid), the justice department isn’t dealing with the problem (same reasons), and the ruling party has long since forgotten the plight of the people who put them in power.

This sort of vigilante action must often seem the only alternative.

[quote=“twonavels”] Friday on the phone my mom said that a guy just raped a girl on the pavement outside a big shopping center, in daylight, at a really busy time, in my small hometown.
[/quote]

And nobody did anything to stop it? Where were the vigilantes delivering justice then, with a horrible crime right in front of their eyes? The apathy of the public who did nothing is almost as sick and criminal as the rapist himself.

Not quite, but I can certainly agree with your sentiments.

What if the person they beat up dies? Put them next to each other…a rapist and a murderer. Most people think that murderers are worse.

It’s sick how it works back home, some cops even have to put gas into their vans, and they make so little money to begin with. We have a lot of police brutality too, because they put their lives on the line for almost no pay, all they can get out of it is a kick here or there.

Shame. I love my country, but I love my life more!

Gas?! Gas?! How do you know you’ve been in Taiwan too long? :smiley:
The same thing happened last year just before I went home…a group of about five men raped two women in the Main Road, right in front of one of the big high schools. Convicted rapists only get about five years. That is if the crime is ever reported…the chance of retribution by the guy’s family, or the police pitching up and raping you, or being rejected by your community is often just too high.
Luckily AIDS tests and morning-after Pills are free at the clinic. That said, South Africa is one cool place. Seriously.

How nice that they tell you whether you’re going to die horribly and painfully over the next ten years without charging you fifty bucks for the test.

What’s the AIDS rate in SA now, well into the double digits (percentagewise) isn’t it?

How nice that they tell you whether you’re going to die horribly and painfully over the next ten years without charging you fifty bucks for the test.

What’s the AIDS rate in SA now, well into the double digits (percentagewise) isn’t it?[/quote]

It ain’t good.

avert.org/safricastats.htm

*Don’t you love that phrase “living with HIV”? :unamused: Sounds like “living next door to Alice”…