Animal Activists take credit for juice poisoning

Not too sure what to make of this one. People are animals too.

[quote]Activists take credit for juice poisoning
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 19 (UPI) – Animal activists claim they have poisoned 487 bottles of POM Wonderful’s juice on the U.S. Eastern seaboard to protest animal testing.

A POM Wonderful spokesman told United Press International the company has not confirmed the validity of the claim, but it was contacted by the FBI regarding the issue. The spokesman said the company is preparing a statement on the matter.

The North American Animal Liberation Press Office distributed a communiqué it received that claimed credit for the juice poisoning and was signed “animal rights militia.” POM Wonderful, which makes pomegranate juice, has been a target of animal activists since it was revealed the company uses animals, such as newborn mice and rabbits, to test its juice and show its health benefits.

The communiqué does not detail what substance was allegedly put in the juice but says it isn’t lethal.

“Those who drink the contaminated juice won’t die like the animals in pom labs, but the diarrhea, vomiting and headaches will hopefully send a strong message that people will no longer allow innocent defenseless animals to be tormented and killed for a health juice,” the communiqué states.
UPI[/quote]

When you’re super cool you can issue…communiqués…rather than mere statements…On the catwalk…on the catwalk…

Geeesh!

Disgusting. Force-feed the activists responsible for the poisoning with the juice - that will hopefully send a strong message back to them.
Fighting for animal rights is fine as long as they don’t use criminal activities and/or endager the life or well-being of innocent people.

[quote=“Rascal”]Disgusting. Force-feed the activists responsible for the poisoning with the juice - that will hopefully send a strong message back to them.
Fighting for animal rights is fine as long as they don’t use criminal activities and/or endager the life or well-being of innocent people.[/quote]

I completely agree.

"the company uses animals, such as newborn mice and rabbits, to test its juice and show its health benefits. "

In other words, the company feeds nutritious juices to animals (not the same thing as abusing them, is it?).

The North American Animal Liberation wackos could have easily picked a more worthwhile target for their wacko schemes, no? :loco:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]"the company uses animals, such as newborn mice and rabbits, to test its juice and show its health benefits. "

In other words, the company feeds nutritious juices to animals (not the same thing as abusing them, is it?).

The North American Animal Liberation wackos could have easily picked a more worthwhile target for their wacko schemes, no? :loco:[/quote]

Rather depends on the effect it has on those animals, not everything that is beneficial to humans is good for the animal world. That said this kind of idiotic behavior does not help the cause they are trying to promote.

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“Rascal”]Disgusting. Force-feed the activists responsible for the poisoning with the juice - that will hopefully send a strong message back to them.
Fighting for animal rights is fine as long as they don’t use criminal activities and/or endager the life or well-being of innocent people.[/quote]

I completely agree.[/quote]

Except that it appears to be just scare tactic (albeit a very harmful and illegal one) and so far it appears no one poisoned any juice.

biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061219/latu110.html?.v=66

And, claims have been made that they do more than just feed nutritious juice to cute little bunnies.

[quote]Experimenters caused severe brain damage to week-old mouse pups whose mothers had been fed pomegranate juice and then decapitated the babies and studied their brains.

Experimenters severed the arteries of rabbits in a bizarre attempt to show that drinking pomegranate juice might alleviate erectile dysfunction.[/quote]
peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=9267

But, of course, we don’t know if those claims are true or not. If they are true, I’m sure just about everyone on this forum (including myself) would agree that tampering with the product (if it turns out that did happen) would be completely wrong.

As for whether making baseless allegatoins of poisoning just to cause economic damage to a company that one strongly believes is committing inexcusable, immoral pain, suffering and death to innocent victims (ie. monkeywrenching but not tree spiking), that’s more borderline. I feel it would still be wrong, but each person must find his own values and ways of living with them or others or himself or the world or whatever.

Fair 'nuf. And MT’s post would seem to indicate there might be more than just feeding juices going on.

make 'em all eat chicken bladders and pig guts on a stick…

oh, that’s not a punishment, that’s a taiwanese lunch.

crucify them instead. oh, no, wait, that’s also taken.

damn.

BTW, you can’t make any health claim unless it has been proven to work in (unfortunately expendable) animals and in humans, a less expendable form of animal. otherwise it is fraudulent advertising. animal research has allowed modern medicine to extend YOUR lifespan and improve your quality of life. if you don’t like it, to be really ethical rather than hypocritical you would have to forgo everything tested on animals, now and in the past. (and leather shoes, and fur coats, and elephant foot umbrella stands.) that’s more than most people are willing to do.

unfortunately the stupid acts of a few tend to smear the sensible choices of many other animal activists, nice people like sean…

like those PETA people who persuaded the Tesco chain and others to stop selling kangaroo meat, because they are cute… if i was killed for food, i would rather be shot in the head from 200m in the middle of the night than put on a truck and sent to a concentration camp (feedlot) where i would stand around knee deep in shit waiting for my appointment with the bolt. (the fate of most cows).

They’re cute, how can you eat your national animal?
because it tastes good and is good for you, and better for the environment than raising cows. now stop acting like a turkey before i eat you too.

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“Rascal”]Disgusting. Force-feed the activists responsible for the poisoning with the juice - that will hopefully send a strong message back to them.

I completely agree.[/quote]

Sorry - I should have said that I completely agree with the second part. :blush: