Animal Welfare in Taiwan - Time for action!

If Magnolia’s in, then I’m in too … as long as cat owners are welcome! :slight_smile:

Are there any equivalent organisations for Taiwan’s non-feral animals?

Let’s set a time that would suit most at the Happy Hour tonight.

Brian

Of course, those of us who live outside Taipei (myself:Taoyuan) who want to help may not be able to attend tonight and therefore may be left out of scheduling. What time is your happy hour at anyway? Never been to one.

Could updates and other scheduling be posted here, until the website gets up and running?

Little Buddha, that’s great, but be careful not to follow Magnolia in all that she does! Cats, dogs, birds, wildlife - they can all come under our wing.

AWOL, I hope we can do something for pets, feral, and wild animals here. Dr Jane is keen to educate locals about the consequences of eating bushmeat. It does happen here.

Brian, OK :slight_smile:

TS, no problem - I’ve made a note of your available times and will take them into account when deciding on a suitable time for the meeting.

street dog, sure, let’s post all info here, for all to see.

Thanks all.

Sean

Great to meet so many of you last night. The egg nog was pretty good, eh?

The first meeting will be at Grandma Nitti’s, in ShiDa, at 11 a.m. Sunday. Please bring a pen, some paper, and your ideas.

Rainbow needs to know how many of us there will be; she doesn’t usually accept bookings at weekends, but she really wants to help us.

So, please let me know - on this forum - if you are in, and if anyone will come with you.

See you on Sunday. Let’s start changing things around here.

Cheers,

In.

Oh and if someone can tell me the name of the bus stop closest to this place, that would be great. Thanks.

Like TS i’m not based in Taipei so i’ll not be able to make it Sunday, but I’d be fully committed to being involved in whatever way possible, even if it’s just financial contributions… I’d be very interested to be involved in any post meeting discussion and/or planning if it takes place here on Forumosa…

plasmatron

I’ll be there.

Me too. I’d like to leave by 2:00 though.

914, dunno about bus, but it’s very close to Taipower MRT station (exit 2?).

Brian

see everyone @ Grandmas.

Fix the cause of the problem…close down those pet stores… else bring in tightened licensing for them… if little Billy doesn’t see a dog in the shop window… he won’t want to buy one…

Second all dogs should be neutered that are sold in these pet stores (with the cost of neutering passed onto the owners)… if asshole owner ever decides to get rid of the dog and drop the dog off somewhere . then that dog wouldn’t be pumping pups out

On the stray dogs… not to sound cruel… but they should be rounded up and put down humanly
Locking them up in a shelter is a little unfair to them.

We visited a shelter near us in Neihu… while the intention of the shelter was good… the lack of money and resources to take care of the dogs ( not just feed them but wash them and walk them), meant that the dogs were caged all day and were dirty with some showing signs of infection around the face and on their skin

I’ll come - with Brian and Aries.

You could print some forumosa postcards highlighting the problem, and distribute them to anyone wanting to post one to CSB. How about putting together an EFL lesson that teachers can make use of? Educate, then distribute cards.

I think most foreigners are responsible pet owners and therefore any campaign for pet conditions would be targeted at Taiwanese pet owners. I also think that most well-to-do pets owners in Taiwan do take care of their pets so you will be targeting people making minimum wage or no income and trying to convince them that their pets well-being is more important than sending their kids to a buxiban or saving money to buy an apartment.

Anyway, may I be so bold as to ask an obvious question?
If, as Richard and others have pointed out, it is illegal for foreigners to engage in volunteer activities, why do you assume this is going to fly?

Yes, I know my previous suggestion to clean up the streets by euthanizing the strays was floundered as being ‘not helpful’ by the moderators but this was a vaild suggestion and this is a question.
Just because people point out the obvious doesn’t mean it is not important to consider it.

I also think there is enough resentment in Taiwan by the locals against ‘know-it-all’ foreigners telling them how to run their country and move into the 21st century.

[quote]Anyway, may I be so bold as to ask an obvious question?
If, as Richard and others have pointed out, it is illegal for foreigners to engage in volunteer activities, why do you assume this is going to fly? [/quote]

It’s not (illegal).

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”][quote]Anyway, may I be so bold as to ask an obvious question?
If, as Richard and others have pointed out, it is illegal for foreigners to engage in volunteer activities, why do you assume this is going to fly? [/quote]

It’s not (illegal).

Brian[/quote]
So why does the volunteer thread have this warning

And Hartzell wrote this on the volunteer thread as well

The key words in the above quote are “not all”.

Brian

All good points and well worth discussing.

Remember: Problems will come up in anything you do, but we don’t let them stop us from achieving our goals. We just need to work out ways to deal with them.

For those that suggest that we just euthanize stray dogs, I understand why you are saying that. I believe, however, that all life is worth preserving. Whilst that would certainly be the easiest option, as someone who views animals as my equal (I am one, after all), I do not thinks it’s the best. This can be discussed at meetings, of course.

The key is to reduce the number of dogs on the street before they get put there, through education, spaying and neutering, etc.

I have no time to respond to all the points here right now, but I will hapily tap up the minutes from the meeting tomorrow.

OK, I’m looking forward to meeting you all at Grandma Nitti’s, even the naysayers, as naysayers often help us to realise problems before they happen - so thanks for that!

Take care, and see you tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sean (0920 620 109)

The original (merged?) Cats and Dogs in Taiwan thread is [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/cats-and-dogs-in-taiwan/569/1 I posted a list (in Chinese) of veterinary practices in Taibei on page 2 of the thread. I also posted a list of Taiwanese animal protection organisations…er…somewhere.

Here is a link for the Jane Goodall Institute in Taiwan.

Dogs Taiwan

Yahoo Dogs Taiwan group (in English)

Animal Protection Information System (Taiwan government site - some English content)
Animal Protection in Republic of China
Republic of China (Taiwan) Animal Protection Law (in English!)
動物保護法 (same law in Chinese)
Stray Dog Control in the Republic of China on Taiwan (GIO article in English)
Taipei Municipal Institute for Animal Health (TMIAH) 臺北市動物衛生檢驗所 (bilingual)

Taipei Abandoned Animal Rescue Foundation

[url=http://www.east.org.tw/]Environment and Animal Society of Taiwan (EAST)

台灣動物社會研究會
[/url]
Tel: (02) 2239 8105~6 Fax: (02) 2239 7634
E-mail: free0511 AT ms36 DOT hinet DOT net
URL: www.east.org.tw
(This is the organisation I mentioned at Sunday’s meeting that has connections with the British RSPCA.)

Includes forum for fostering animals - Check the logo:

Society of Animal Welfare of Hsinchu(SAWH) (with details and photos of animals for adoption)

<–“Please adopt instead of buying” :thumbsup:
Taiwan dog and cat adoption site - With adequate Chinese language skills, you can post there yourself.

Life Conservationist Association
The Animal Protection Association of the ROC 中華民國保護動物協會

…and there are more

I found that three of the above web sites have links to English content that lead nowhere - i.e. they would like to have English content but haven’t found anyone to do it. That is something we could help with.

Taiwan could print stamps like these: