Animals Need Love, And So Do The Children

There is a lot of interest in helping animals in Taiwan and this is a great thing.

Maybe the same people could get together for one day or event, or start an activity, that brings attention or assistance to the plight of needy children in Taiwan. Perhaps combine the interests?

Anyone with any ideas? I haven’t figured out any yet so would appreciate creative ideas.

I love animals and even help with AnimalsTaiwan and help as halfway home for cats and I am not trying to judge. Just wish we could somehow bring as much attention and interest to helping children.

I can’t say I’ve seen a lot of obviously needy children around. In fact there are hardly any children in Taiwan at all any more.

There are a lot of orphanages in Taiwan, and while the orphans have what they need to survive, they only have a strict minimum. Christmas is right around the corner so it’s the best time of the year to get something off the ground to help these kids.

Two years ago, my friends in Kaohsiung organized a Christmas charity drive for a local orphanage. They started sometime in October, and came Christmas time, they had their house loaded to the ceiling with school supplies, toys, etc. They also raised over NT$ 200,000. If you want, I can put you in touch with them. They are super nice and I know that they would take the time to explain to you how they did it even though they are no longer living here. PM me if you want. Heck, they generated so many donations that they ended up bringing Christmas gifts for all the orphans in three different orphanages, and if I remember correctly, the money was used to do some renovations at one of these orphanages. Only a handful of people were involved. They promoted the charity drive and they did pick ups(pick up donated items from people’s home). The week before Christmas, they had a gift wrapping party where people could get together and help wrap Christmas gifts for the kids. That is something you could easily organize in Taipei. No one will do it for you, but if you get the ball rolling, you’ll be surprised how many people will support and help you, including animal welfare organizations.

And of course, if you are a native English speaker, you can go to any of these orphanages and offer a few hours per week teaching English and you will be welcomed with open arms. I know some people who do that on a regular basis, here, in Kaohsiung.

Oh and since you are already involved with Animals Taiwan, I suppose another idea would be to pay the orphans a visit with some friendly dogs. It could be like a “knowledge day” or something like that. Orphans don’t get to have pets. Just a thought.

marboulette

Great post, laddie. Some very good ideas there.
There’s always World Vision Taiwan, too, which lets you donate a tiny amount of money – like NT$1,200 per month per kid – to sponsor orphans and kids from impoverished families. The oldest of our ones just turned 18 and no longer is entitled to sponsorship, but he sent us a letter saying he’s about to start training as a bike mechanic and would not have been able to had it not been for WV.

If I remember rightly, the Church of the Good Shepherd in Shilin is associated with an orphanage. Not sure, though.

Delete me