Animals Seeking Homes

Get a pic up. Pics sell. :wink:

What sandman says.

(p.s. sandman, Coco is being adopted and will live in Germany - a paradise for dogs! :slight_smile: )

[quote=ā€œStray Dogā€]What sandman says.

(p.s. sandman, Coco is being adopted and will live in Germany - a paradise for dogs! :slight_smile: )[/quote] Thanks so much Stray Dog. You just made my week. :notworthy: :bravo:

Great news, yes, but nothing to do with me - thank Rainbow at Grandma Nittiā€™s. :wink:

Iā€™m at work now. When I left for work the little bitch was sitting nicely just outside my garage door watching it go up, but not entering. Iā€™ve decided to take her into my house when I get home tonight. I canā€™t keep herā€¦but Iā€™ll give her a bath, feed herā€¦etc. Iā€™ll take some pics then, too.

He he :slight_smile: .

OK, Mordeth. You take her in, give her a bath, feed her, give her some attention. Of course you wonā€™t keep her! :wink:

Watch this space ā€¦

Great job, Mordeth! Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll love her new home with you! :rainbow:

I canā€™t keep her. My roommate would move out and I wouldnā€™t be able to afford rent. Then Iā€™d be living on the street with the dog. One dog is all I can manageā€¦especially since I like traveling around the island on scooter. I wish I could she seems greatā€¦but I canā€™t.

Yeah, thatā€™s how I got all my dogs.

Ok, I didnā€™t take her in last night like I said I wouldā€¦long day at workā€¦and I was too tired/selfish to see to her needs. I spent some time with her this morning to take the picsā€¦I used my cell phone so not great quality. Her fur seems sparseā€¦and she has a few small bald patches.

That might be why her previous owners gave her upā€¦at the first sign of some disorderā€¦they throw her away. She has very few ticksā€¦fleas on her. She was abandoned recentlyā€¦Iā€™m sure of itā€¦so she isnā€™t too ā€œwildā€ yet.

Sheā€™s full grownā€¦but seems very young so maybe 1-2 years old?
There are many other strays in my area since I live across from a very large parkā€¦but this one just seems like it doesnā€™t belong on the streetā€¦not even for a day. Itā€™s too smallā€¦and too well behaved. Unlike my dog which would probably feel right at home rooting through a garbage can :wink: .

I took her to the vet. Got some shots for her skin problems and got her de-loused. I took her home and the only ā€œproblemā€ I had was when I first put a leash and collar on her. She jumped straight up in the air and jerked around screaming as if the collar were made of barb wire. But I took her for a long walk this morning and she seems used to it already.

The surprisingly good news isā€¦that I put her in a very small room (little bigger than a closet) all nightā€¦and she didnā€™t barkā€¦not once. Also she didnā€™t pee or poop in the room and when I took her outside she poopā€™d twice and peeā€™d of course. One of her toes seemsā€¦hurt. I think Iā€™ll take her back to the vet and ask whatā€™s up with that.

Go Mordeth!

:bravo: :notworthy: :slight_smile:

Good on ya Mordeth. :bravo:
Click here for a site where you can quickly and easily make an adoption poster that you can print out and/or email to Stray Dog for inclusion on the Animals Taiwan website.

Jubaā€¦has suggested I have it scanned for a chip to see if itā€™s just lost. I havenā€™t bothered yetā€¦but if Iā€™m at the vet and I remember toā€¦I will. Not quite sure what the point would beā€¦even if I discovered that it was ā€œlostā€ from a Taiwanese family, I donā€™t know if Iā€™d want to return it. I partially believe most dogs would be better off deadā€¦than with a Taiwanese family.

EXAMPLE: One of my adult students told me her family has a dogā€¦it never leaves itā€™s cage. And every time it shits itā€™s cageā€¦the grandfather beats it. But they NEVER walk itā€¦soā€¦ Itā€™s a pretty disgusting story if you think about it.

It really amazes me that she NEVER barks when in confinementā€¦amazing. Even when she can hear me just outside her doorā€¦she doesnā€™t call out. She does bark thoughā€¦when I let her out and we are walking outsideā€¦she yaps happily.

Oh, and I donā€™t use a leash on her anymoreā€¦I used one until she got used to wearing oneā€¦and now I donā€™t. Because she doesnā€™t need it. She stays by my sideā€¦and comes when calledā€¦uhh, actually I donā€™t know if she comes when calledā€¦because she never leaves my side :slight_smile: .

Well, if she appears well cared for, well fed and in good health, then you could assume she comes from a home that loved and cared for her. Someone might be heartbroken that she got out, and got lost. Thereā€™s the additional legal dimension that animals are property, and we have an obligation to try to return peopleā€™s possessions to them if found.

Note that most families which do not take good care of a pet are also not the types to have them chipped (the reverse is not necessarily true, though ā€“ i.e., lack of a chip doesnā€™t say much about the family, not here in Taiwan anyway, where chipping is not so common). So if sheā€™s in good shape, you definitely should scan her, and if thereā€™s a chip, you really should return her. If, in the meantime, youā€™ve found any potential adopters, please put them in contact with AnimalsTaiwan.org, because we always have some wonderful dogs (and cats) in need of good homes.

Fine, Iā€™ll check for the chip. But since the dog has never been seen around here beforeā€¦and was found in a park which regularly has dogs dumped in it. Iā€™m betting the chances of it having a chip would be like 1 in a thousand.

But yeahā€¦you make some good points about it maybe coming from a loving home since it is so well behaved. Except for the fact it had never been on a leash before. Maybe it was an indoor dog.

One of my neighbors said they were considering taking it in themselves. Iā€™m still hoping there is a foreigner on here who is looking for a smallish well-behaved dog.

This:
is definitely a ā€œsmall dogā€. Somewhat smaller than that, and I would term it a " large rodent". :wink:

Seriously, folks, what an adorable pup! How can you resist?

[quote=ā€œMordethā€][quote=ā€œShrimpCrackersā€]

People tend not to adopt when I ask because they claim that a dog from a store is better raised than a stray. However Iā€™m starting to think that may not be the case.
[/quote]

I would think that strays would be more intelligent. And dogs from a store ā€œdumberā€ and therefore in some ways more easy to manage. A dog with a lower IQ you could lock up in your garage for hours on end without it complaining too much. A more intelligent dog would need more attention and playtime. Thatā€™s my guess anyway. My own dog is highly intelligentā€¦she has a huge vocabulary (with regards to comprehension not speaking :loco: )ā€¦and sheā€™s a bit of a hassel.[/quote]

Depends on what sort of place they are bought from. If the puppies are stuck in cages by the window 24/7, I donā€™t think theyā€™re going to be very well-raised. If the puppies are raised by a breeder who is qualified and knows what he is doing, then they should be as smart as any other dog.

No dog likes to be locked up for hours at a time. Some dogs have seperation anxiety, some are willing to just wait. I actually think a very intelligent dog you could lock up for a longer time because he would know not to wreck the place and that you are going to come back at a certain time.

The dogs locked up in garages for hours on end without complaining may not be dumber. They just have no choice and are forced to accept this.

I guess if I were locked up in a room day after day, after a while I would give up too.

All dogs are smart and beautiful :smiley:

You make a lot of sense as always lupillus, except I donā€™t like the above quote.

If you breed dogs in a country with millions of straysā€¦and where people for the most part donā€™t have yardsā€¦or parksā€¦orā€¦etc. Then you arenā€™t much of a dog personā€¦or a breeder. It think a truly ā€œqualifiedā€ breeder would move to another country. But then againā€¦I think selling dogs is about as cool as selling people.

I think lupillus will agree with you but just wanted to use it to explain that all dogs are created equal. :wink:

p.s. I think you make a very good point.