Animals Taiwan Kaohsiung-Mini Holding Center

About 40 days ago, we rescued 10 dogs from a construction site during a typhoon. One mother and ten pups. This was a problem for us because we did not have a facility to accommodate that many animals in addition to the 15 animals that were currently under our care at the time. We considered paying boarding fees in a hospital but that’s expensive and it’s not the best setting, especially for the mother. Dogs hate kennels.

So instead of spending the money on boarding fees, we decided that I would build our own holding center. It’s not big, it’s not fancy but it does the trick really well. The kind-hearted people at metal factory near my place let us use their property.

We adopted out 2 pups already, there are seven more who need good homes. You can see their pictures in this thread.

On one side of “the box”(that’s what I call the holding center) there is a door, and on the other side there is a small added roof with a tarp. Under that roof, there is a flappy door on hinges so that a dog can go in and out of the box at will. I installed a lock on the flappy door because the mother can not feed the pups anymore. She has to rest, too, so she has to be tied for another few days because we don’t want her to run just yet. She was spayed last Monday.

Once the pups are adopted out, hopefully soon, we will use this box to CNR two fully grown dogs at the same time. :slight_smile: As you can see in the pictures, I have it set up so that I can tie the dogs to the box while I clean up and work with the puppies. It’s great!

I will try to find time to post a video of the puppies inside that box soon. It’s very precious, you’ll fall in love with the puppies. :slight_smile:

Hey, that looks great! Have you considered using its surface for advertising, either for AT or paid ads to raise revenue for the dogs’ care?

Thanks DB.

We are picking up some giant posters today. A volunteer/friend had them printed for us, free of charge, and we got them laminated. The laminating wasn’t cheap, but worth it. We’ll be putting one on the box(mini holding center) shortly. You should recognize the pictures, too, we just used an AT flyer and blew it up. :wink:

I’ll post a pic soon to show you. :slight_smile:

You definitely need to dirty it up a bit, otherwise you’ll come down one morning to find the dogs gone and a family living there.

Hey, that looks great! You can start your own business! (Houses for very small families!) :slight_smile:

Looks good but is it too hot inside for them? How’s the air getting in? Congrats on the idea. Next up-A plot of land where they can go.

This is awesome. Hope I can help out when I move to Taiwan. Got any pics of the puppies yet? :smiley:

[quote=“pubba”]This is awesome. Hope I can help out when I move to Taiwan. Got any pics of the puppies yet? :smiley:[/quote]Here’s one for you. You can see the rest of them in this thread. Want one? :smiley: And yes, of course you can help! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Nama”]Looks good but is it too hot inside for them? How’s the air getting in? Congrats on the idea. [/quote]There are four windows. During the day, we keep the door open and we block the door half-way which makes for a fifth big window. Lots of air, white roof=cool shade, and I also have a fan installed in there. It’s running 24/7 to keep a breeze and to keep the flies away. Today I installed a wall power outlet and a light bulb on the ceiling with it’s very own switch. :slight_smile:
No more flashlight at night and no more extension cords in the way! :yay:

Also, note that the box is built right next to the gutter and it’s engineered to be on a slight angle so that when I clean it, everything runs right through to the existing city sewage system. I also bought a garden hose long enough to reach the box. So now we have water, sewage and electricity. Someone will definitely move in there soon. :wink:

[quote]Next up-A plot of land where they can go.[/quote]No kidding. We adopted out two of the nine pups already. 7 to go and within a month, the box will only be able to accommodate 4 of them at the most because they are growing. We hope to find homes for them very soon. Fingers crossed, we have an adoption event tomorrow.

[quote=“bobepine”]

[quote=“Nama”]Looks good but is it too hot inside for them? How’s the air getting in? Congrats on the idea. [/quote]There are four windows. During the day, we keep the door open and we block the door half-way which makes for a fifth big window. Lots of air, white roof=cool shade, and I also have a fan installed in there. It’s running 24/7 to keep a breeze and to keep the flies away. Today I installed a wall power outlet and a light bulb on the ceiling with it’s very own switch. :slight_smile:
No more flashlight at night and no more extension cords in the way! :yay:

Also, note that the box is built right next to the gutter and it’s engineered to be on a slight angle so that when I clean it, everything runs right through to the existing city sewage system. I also bought a garden hose long enough to reach the box. So now we have water, sewage and electricity. Someone will definitely move in there soon. :wink:[/quote]

Hell, Mc Gyver you go with your bad self. :bravo:

I told you I would post new pics. I added a poster from ATK, and I also added a little yard space for the dogs to have more room and some fresh air during the day. :slight_smile:

I still have to find time to host a small video of what’s inside the box! Down to 5 pups now. :slight_smile:

You are a hero to these animals! :slight_smile: