Animals Taiwan saves a puppy with a broken leg <pics>

There is a puppy hanging around outside. It’s very shy and I’ve never gotten close to it.

The other day I notice there’s something wrong with it’s leg. I’m unsure of what to do…so I do nothing.

Finally guilt gets the better of me and I phone Straydog. He tells where to take it and what to do.

First I have to catch the little bugger…and it doesn’t like people. When I get close to it…it goes under cars. I really don’t want to drag it out…so I wait.

After a while it comes out I start to chase it…it screams as if I’m killing it and runs under another car. I take my time and talk to it and lie down on the road and pet it under the car for awhile.

Finally when I give up and start to walk home it comes out…I get inbetween it and the cars so it has nowhere to run and it just freezes. I walk over and pet it for a bit…and then pick it up. I brought along some gloves incase it started biting me, but I didn’t need them. I put it on my scooter snap another picture…and ride slowly to the vets.

The dog was so calm. It amazed me. It didn’t once struggle or try and get away. It was like it had accepted it’s fate…whatever it might be. Even at the vets…it seemed scared of the vet…but it just stood their pathetically…and sweetly.

You can see in these pics at the vet…how bad it’s leg is (either that or it needs to pee :smiley: )

And the cutest thing was…that it started to fall asleep standing there. The poor thing must have so little energy…that standing on the scooter…and at the vets…wore it out completely.

Imagine some stranger kidnaps you and takes you to some scary place with scary new people…and you fall asleep? I had to stop the poor thing from toppling over a couple of times. You can see in this next pic it starting to fall asleep (its eyes aren’t usually that small).

Finally the Vet put the pup into a cage. So how did this “wild” dog respond to being caged?!? See for yourself…

…and about 2 seconds later…

I do have a favour to ask. The dog had surgery today. And I told the vet I’d pick it up tomorrow (Sat). The dog will need somewhere to rest for a few weeks. I don’t want to take it in because I won’t be able to put it back outside my front door…if someone else takes it…for a few weeks then I’ll come pick it up and drop it off back where I found it. With less chance of me becoming too emotionally involved. So if you live near Chung-Li and have space…I’d really appreciate it…and so would he.

Great job, Mordeth!!!

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Great job, Mordeth!!!

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

I was just a delivery boy. It’s Animals Taiwan that’s footing the bill and gave me the “go ahead” to get the work done for them. Give your praise to them. :slight_smile:

The poor thing is getting a metal pin put in its leg. And will need surgery again to remove it in a month.

Oh and I forgot to mention. It’s only 3 months old :frowning: .

Aww… really cute little one, there.

What AnimalsTaiwan needs most right now is for people to help find homes for wonderful animals like this pup. Even if you can’t adopt, please talk to your friends, colleagues and neighbors to see if one of them might be interested.

To see how you can help, please visit animalstaiwan.org !!!

BTW, AnimalsTaiwan is now having a weekly adopt-a-pet activity at Doggie House in Neihu, Taipei. If you are interested in adopting a pet, getting involved as a volunteer, or even just to make a donation, you can stop by between 1 and 6 pm.

The address is:
No 2 Jiu Zong Road , Section 1, Neihu.
This is the same road as Costco and RT Mart. Heading south; just pass both of these superstores on your right (they are on section 2) and keep going until you come to section 1. You will pass Catty House (if you are driving there is a car park here for you) and then immediately after, just before the traffic lights it is Doggy House, just before Nanjing E. Rd… It has a big dog statue on the roof so you will be able to easily recognize it! The website address of the doggy house is: www.doggy-house.com.tw if you want further information.

If you are coming by bus, then the buses you can use are:
204,518,605,621,622,63, 7

Good one Mordeth, good one Animals Taiwan :slight_smile: :bravo:

Ha! Mordeth is being too polite - I just said go ahead; he did all the work, including taming the wild beast and mesmerising it to fall asleep. :bravo: :slight_smile:

This is what AT needs more of: people who are prepared to get out there and make a difference themselves but with our help and support. This way we can help an unlimited number of animals.

Let’s see who can step up to foster this dopey little guy (the pup, not Mordeth :wink: ) for a couple of weeks until he is fit to go back out there. It’ll be two weeks out of your entire life, but it will make a world of difference to his.

He will be neutered, vaccinated, deflea-ed and dewormed by the time you take him. Have a heart and open your home to another being in need of a hand.

Thank you! And well done to ChongLi’s stray saviour, Mordeth. :notworthy: :bravo:

Mordeth I have to agree with Stray Dog, you did a fab job! If you hadn’t taken an interest in the poor little guys situation he would probably have had to live his life in pain, starving on the street, so way to go!
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“Woudsprite”]Mordeth I have to agree with Stray Dog, you did a fab job! If you hadn’t taken an interest in the poor little guys situation he would probably have had to live his life in pain, starving on the street, so way to go!
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

Yep, mordeth did the right thing. Good to see that AT is supporting him down in Chung-Li too. At three months old and with three legs, this pooch’s quality of life was more than likely going downhill by day. Quite a rough start for the little one. Thankfully, things are now looking up.

Hats off to you mordeth. :thumbsup:

bobepine

Well, he’s on my roof now. I really hope he isn’t a barker. If he is then I think he’ll have to go back to the park…looking like this:

He still can’t stand on the leg. But he seems to be able to move it a little…and it’s not hanging like dead weight anymore. The dog is now neutered as well.

dear mordeth and sean,

i was in taipei for the month of march. i learned about animalstaiwan on forumosa beforehand and wanted to help out. there were two events while i was in taipei, but i was not able to find tescos in xiaobitan and then i was busy for the other event. i wanted to volunteer and donate some money. i was not able to do either while in taipei.

this post inspired me to follow through with donating some money to animalstaiwan.org. its not much, but i make it a point to donate some money each year to 2 or 3 organizations out there that i think are doing good work. animals taiwan fits the bill.

i have contacted the treasurer at animalstaiwan and will donate a bit of money in honor of this story and all the other stories that take place at animalstaiwan each day,

keep up the good work.

jm

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”]dear mordeth and sean,

I was in Taipei for the month of march. I learned about animalstaiwan on forumosa beforehand and wanted to help out. there were two events while I was in Taipei, but I was not able to find tescos in xiaobitan and then I was busy for the other event. I wanted to volunteer and donate some money. I was not able to do either while in Taipei.

this post inspired me to follow through with donating some money to animalstaiwan.org. its not much, but I make it a point to donate some money each year to 2 or 3 organizations out there that I think are doing good work. animals taiwan fits the bill.

I have contacted the treasurer at animalstaiwan and will donate a bit of money in honor of this story and all the other stories that take place at animalstaiwan each day,

keep up the good work.

jm[/quote]

WOOHOO! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’ll be thinking of you when I’m picking up poop on my roof. :sunglasses: Uhh, what I mean is…that this post will help keep a smile on my face while I’m doing the “dirty” work. :slight_smile:

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”]dear mordeth and sean,

I was in Taipei for the month of march. I learned about animalstaiwan on forumosa beforehand and wanted to help out. there were two events while I was in Taipei, but I was not able to find tescos in xiaobitan and then I was busy for the other event. I wanted to volunteer and donate some money. I was not able to do either while in Taipei.

this post inspired me to follow through with donating some money to animalstaiwan.org. its not much, but I make it a point to donate some money each year to 2 or 3 organizations out there that I think are doing good work. animals taiwan fits the bill.

I have contacted the treasurer at animalstaiwan and will donate a bit of money in honor of this story and all the other stories that take place at animalstaiwan each day,

keep up the good work.

jm[/quote]

Sorry we didn’t get to meet up, John Moss, and a very big thank you for your generosity and support. When you donate to AnimalsTaiwan, you instantly become a member of our team, as we really cannot do what we do without people like you. Thank you.

Friends of ours, such as Puppet, below, would also like to thank people like you who give money to organizations such as ours. Puppet is thankfully recovering from a combination of skin diseases that were slowly ravishing his tiny body and which would have put him through an unbearable amount of pain and suffering.

Our Web site is being completely revamped and should be presentable very soon (a million thanks, Dr_Zoidberg! :notworthy: :bravo: ). I will start updating the Diary page again so you can keep an eye on how your money is being spent.

Hope to meet you next time you visit Taiwan.

Have a great Sunday!

Sean

hi sean,

i will be in taipei again in may/june, 2007. i know its a year away but i am already excited to return. this will be my 3rd trip to taiwan.

i will look for events on forumosa for that time of year. i look forward to meeting you on my next visit.

and mordeth, just remember to keep the shovel pointed downwind.

our humane society here just moved to a beautiful brand new facility, and they are now called the humane society of western montana. thats where i adopted my husky, loki, in 2001 at their old, rundown facility. i adopted my other dog, birch, from the “pound”, or what we call animal control, which is the county run organization.

heres to all those who adopt pets from their local “pound” or humane society, or off the street :bravo: :notworthy: :slight_smile:

take care, and see you next spring,

jm

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”]

and mordeth, just remember to keep the shovel pointed downwind.

jm[/quote]

No, no shovel. My roof is mostly open. So I just use some tissues and a slingshot. The cries of my dismayed neighbors a couple of streets over make it all worthwhile. :astonished:

The little guy is doing a great job of keeping me emotionally disattached. He ignores me…100%. He walks around…fiddles with junk on my roof (I need to clean up that area). But he never makes a sound…never barks or whines. And when I go up carrying food…he just freezes and waits for me to go away. It’s good for me…but it will make it very hard for anyone to ever want to take the guy into their home.

Should I try and break through its emotional barrier to teach it that some people are good? Or should I leave its psychological self defenses intact?

maybe you should aim it at the lady that poisened eleguas’ cats

she needs to get her karma somehow, you could just be the ticket, you and your poop launcher. right in the face. or right into her kitchen-when she has a big pot of soup on the stove, when shes not looking.

karma baby, its a comin’

jm

This is my first internet video attempt. Nothing special…but my own dog Bao Bao makes a special appearance in the video.

youtube.com/watch?v=1RkLZavuEEw

It looks like Bao Bao wanted to play the star. He or she loves the camera
Nice video Mordeth

Here is a much better video. I took it outside for it’s first walk since the surgery: youtube.com/watch?v=ielptiC16JQ

That’s cool. Didn’t look like he was ignoring you in that vid.