AnimalsTaiwan in Taoyuan

Hey all,

I started this in an inquiry under the fund raiser in events. I know a lot of people care about the strays and support Straydog in what he is doing in Taipei. I’m thinking we need to do something here in Taoyuan also. I currently help fund raise for a group in Yang-mei but think I can do more. Anyone else in Taoyuan feel the same?

I’ll start with that one question and see where it goes from here.

Taipei or Taoyuan…I’m willing to help!
If anyone have any fundraising ideas or suggestions, post it here. We can start a support group in Taoyuan also.
:slight_smile:

What do you have in mind?

If you want to support AnimalsTaiwan, come to the Taoyuan Quiz Night!

I’m thinking of pounding the pavement and see if I can find a piece of land I can put a shelter up on. Out here in Dayuan there seems to be quite a bit. Once I find the land I’m figuring on throwing up a shelter and go from there. I know there are several Taiwanese groups here in Taoyuan so I’m gonna see if I can make contact with them also.

For Fundraising, I’m always ready and willing to break out the guitar and play songs to raise money. Been doing it for about 4 months out at the metro walk to help the Yangmei people.

I know it’s the holiday seasons but let’s all put one extra new years resolution on our list. “Next year lets make an effort to make a difference for the strays in our neck of the woods”

I applaud everyone who wants to help make a difference here.

I would just like to add my opinion on the best way to help. If you imagine the stray problem as being like a leaky pipe, it makes sense to build a shelter to act as a bucket to help contain some of the flow.

However, once that bucket is full, which it would be very quickly, there will start to be an overflow, and we find ourselves in exactly the same position, but with all our resources tied up in maintaining the bucket of water. It can also be very depressing for an animal lover to have to one day make a mortal decision on the animals within his or her care as the bucket begins to fill up.

It was stongly suggested to me at the Asia for Animals conference this summer that my resources be instead used to find a way to stem the flow, rather than catching some of it. And I now have to agree.

It makes far more sense to use the land as a holding centre for strays as part of a CNR project, whereby the animals are caught, treated, vaccinated, neutered, and returned to where they were found. Not all will survive, but they will not get some of the more sinister diseases nor spread them, and they won’t produce any more offspring that would otherwise later be contributing to the flood of strays. The number of animals you can help in this way is unlimited, especially when you consider how it would help prevent disease and births, whereas a shelter’s benefit to the stray problem is limited.

Just a thought, but if you were to build a shelter, you would have my full support all the way. Doing something is what’s most needed, and I sincerely commend you for that. :notworthy: :bravo:

See you at the quiz?

Sean

p.s.

Of course, another way is to work changing laws, having them implemented, and educating people about responsible pet care.

I’d have to lean towards the Catch, Spay/Neuter, release method for the shelter. I know a few groups doing that already along with Straydog in Taipei. It may seem mean to some but as Stray said… to run a true get them off the streets shelter would be insane.

Library for people who want to help homeless animals at a grassroots level.

It’s from www.bestfriends.org.

bobepine

BestFriends have been our best friends for a while - they really know what they’re doing and have been really helpful.

I wrote to them just a little while ago to ask how to respond to the ‘I’ll get my dog put to sleep if you don’t take it’ threat, and they responded riight away and gave some great advice.

I met Amy Hogg, one of their representatives at the Asia for Animals conference in Singapore, and, if she is anything to go by, it is easy to see why they do so well: upbeat but serious and caring.

If anyone finds a stray and needs to get a home for it, I always direct them to BestFriends for some excellent info, which, if you follow it, is guaranteed to find the perfect home for any animal who needs it.

Anyone who wants to help should check out Bobepine’s link and see what one person can do. :wink:

Awesome link, Thanks… Didn’t know it before…

Stray, don’t forget, 1:30pm tomorrow… :laughing:

We’re there!

Thanks for the memo. :wink:

Sean

That’s the kind of thing I’m interested in as well.

We need a good/inexpensive vet in the area and a place for the animals to recover afterwards.
We’ll also have to learn how to catch these critters safely so we don’t hurt them.:ponder:

We also need some dough. I’m not good with a microphone/guitar but I am pretty organized and willing to plan just about any fundraising event you can think of. :slight_smile:

A friend is planning to have his bitch neutered. He tells me it’s 3000 for the procedure. Is this right? Why so expensive considering this is a public service?

A

If Nankaner threatens to sing, I think we could raise some ‘silence’ money!

Proto-tw, thanks so much for introducing us to those amazing people at the Metro Walk in DaYuan. You guys do a fantastic job there, and I left with some great ideas and a warm sense of encouragement; the event is very well organized, and very nice to see.

I think we’ll come down again soon.

Sean :slight_smile:

[quote=“Alleycat”]A friend is planning to have his bitch neutered. He tells me it’s 3000 for the procedure. Is this right? Why so expensive considering this is a public service?

A[/quote]

Hi, Alleycat.

It depends on the size of the dog and the vet. A 20kg dog would usually cost around NT$2,500 to NT$3,000 (NT$1,500 to NT$2,000 if it’s a male). Your friend should shop around, and should only consider a place where there will be at least one vet and a technician in the operating room, as one person really cannot monitor everything safely (but many do).

If your friend is a Taipei City resident, he will qualify for a rebate if he registers the dog (NT$800 for a male; NT$1,500 for a female). Other counties have a similar rebate, but not all do (Taipei County doesn’t, as far as I know).

The costs can be reduced further if your friend doesn’t take the Elizabethan collar or antibiotics for the dog; these are not needed in the majority of cases, but should be used later if the dog pulls at the stitches or develops an infection.

We get special deals with the vets we use, as we are a non-profit org, but not all vets support us (some offer a discount, but only after they’ve inflated the cost :unamused: )

I hope that helps.

Sean

[quote=“Alleycat”]A friend is planning to have his bitch neutered. He tells me it’s 3000 for the procedure. Is this right? Why so expensive considering this is a public service?

A[/quote]

I checked and our vet charged 2000 (before discount) for August, she’s mid size about 10Kg. Is your friends dog a street dog? That’s usually good for a 20% discount if you let them roll in the mud before you take them in…lol make them look poor…

That’s the kind of thing I’m interested in as well.

We need a good/inexpensive vet in the area and a place for the animals to recover afterwards.
We’ll also have to learn how to catch these critters safely so we don’t hurt them.:ponder:

We also need some dough. I’m not good with a microphone/guitar but I am pretty organized and willing to plan just about any fundraising event you can think of. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hey, glad to hear your in. I’ll be arranging a meeting after the new year to get things going. I plan on working with the people I help at Metro Walk as they are officially becoming the Taoyuan County something or other to do with dogs and cats…lol And of course getting Stray to help as much as possible.

When you take your dog into be neutered, say,
“Hi i found this dog on the street a little while ago. i don’t have much money but i really want to keep it. How much would it cost to get it neutered?”

the collar thing can be made from a cardboard box, you really don’t have to pay for the plasic one. My vet used to always give me one made from a cardboard box, worked just as well.

Eh hem. :soapbox:

It’s great to get stuff cheap, but let’s not abuse the kindness of those vets who provide discounts for strays. If your dog was a stray, go for it; if not, pay the going rate, as your dog’s helath should not be subject to how much you feel like spending.

OK, I’m going to bed now. Sick and tired.

:frowning:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Eh hem. :soapbox:

It’s great to get stuff cheap, but let’s not abuse the kindness of those vets who provide discounts for strays. If your dog was a stray, go for it; if not, pay the going rate, as your dog’s helath should not be subject to how much you feel like spending.

OK, I’m going to bed now. Sick and tired.

:frowning:[/quote]

Bump, I totally agree, if your going to pay 20,000+ for a dog then hey, pay the price. I fess up and say I was only kidding about the dirt and such…

Also, if your going to pay 20,000+ for a dog why not just make a donation and we’ll find you the perfect pet that would love you more than anything you’ll ever buy (plus the love of Stray, which as I understand can be quite valuable…lol)