Annoying sounds and how to resolve the issues

My times are much better this year than before. This is the first time I have really put an effort into the mountains. Got another PB just yesterday (by a full minute- 32 to 31 minutes). I think I’m ready for another boost. Really want to get under 30 minutes on that climb.

Would that climb be Fengguizui?

No, Xiding Road in Xizhi. Although I did ride Fengguizui last Saturday. Not a good time but I did two smaller climbs before tackling that one so my legs weren’t fresh at all.

Looking at my Strava, I was far off sub 30 minutes for Fengguizui. Maybe my next goal.

2 Likes

Ha, I was there last… Sunday. We took it very, very easy.

I only managed a couple of sub-30s on FGZ over my illustrious :whistle: career. Easily the most daunting of the climbs I regularly took on. Especially that middle third.

When I read the thread title I thought it was a reference to mysterious neighbors in Taiwan making annoying, undecipherable sounds at night and how to resolve it.

Any progress on that front? I’ve taken to yelling out the window like a nut.

Are you guys talking about this segment?

https://www.strava.com/segments/641218?filter=overall

The third third is the agonizing one!

Yeah, that’s the one. Third third’s a piece of piss. Second third is where it stays above 10% the whole time.

Yes, that’s the one. “TAS: WanLi Bridge-FongGueiZuei (5.4k)” I think I could give sub 30 minutes a real run for the money. But I live so far that I’m a bit run down by the time I get to WanLi Bridge. Maybe I need to take a long break before I head up and see what I can do.

This is the Xiding Road segment where I’m trying to get under 30 minutes. Some smartass named it “wimp climb.”

https://www.strava.com/segments/5853412

Maybe that’s why when I get to the final third I don’t even know my name.

Come on, it’s doable. I have like 3 times under 30’ :smiley: And I live probably even farther than you!

Checking that one now.

Way I see it you got two options. One, HTFU. Two, take a taxi to the foot of the climb, munch a coupla gels down and then HTFU.

Option two seems the more sensible.

1 Like

I did FGZ last Saturday like this:

https://www.strava.com/segments/17945925

Two hills before. Actually didn’t feel too tired getting there, but did feel the two small climbs in my legs before the real climb. Anyway, no excuses. It was a really enjoyable ride.

That’s not just the climb to FGZ, and if you do that in less than 30 minutes I buy you 200 beers.

1 Like

Five minutes rest before the climb should be enough, give the legs a stretch.

1 Like

Always always do FGZ as your first climb of the day.

I’ve done rides where we decide to do FGZ then head over to Leng Shui Keng, since they’re of adjacent climbs. Some of the stronger guys all decided that FGZ was enough for the day. However if we’ve done LSK first then FGZ, post people are willing to go with the latter order.

Why though? No matter how you ride FGZ, it’s never forgiving. Especially because of that middle section after the final downhill into double hairpin.

I guess the two guys I went with normally do the climbs in the opposite order with FGZ first. But they were being nice to me so that I could get home easily after the last climb. I guess one of the two really did not like the way we did the climbs that day! I didn’t mind it. But that section of FGZ that everyone talks about. That was a killer.

Edit: Changed now but meant to write FGZ first. At the beginning of the three climbs, that is.

I took my bike in last week to look into another sound (the same one I discussed above), after the spokes sound issue was resolved (I now have new wheels so that shouldn’t be a problem again, at least for a while). It started off as a clicking sound on every pedal stroke after generating some tension, which usually meant after going uphill for a bit. The sound got worse and ended up being more of a crunching sound.

Well, the guy at the shop took the pedals off, greased them up and then tightened them back up real tight. He also checked the crank bearings, again greased everything back up before putting everything back together. The sound is gone. It was really driving me crazy so I’m very happy.

1 Like