Annual Leave Entitlement at Contract Termination

I will be terminating my contract soon and I would like to know what I am entitled to. I will have worked for 2 years and 1 week and I have just started my third contract. I have not taken any annual leave, so I want that to be converted to money. Will I receive 3 days for the first year, 7 days for the second year and 10 days for the third year(so in total 20 days)? Or will the third year days be fewer than 10 days?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I am unsure about this situation because I am only just over the 2 year mark.

You have to finish the year to qualify for the full leave days.

Maybe ask your school what they will pay?

Does leave accumulate? Or does it need to be used/ cashed out in the year it was earned?

1 Like

there is a cap on how many days you can roll over from year to year, in our company its only 6 days, but this varies according to company policy.

As pointed out the previous year may be “use it or lose it” depending on your companies policy. Also expect the days to be paid out at monthly salary/30 rather than by working days, if they are actually paid out.

You can read the rules about paid leave in the Labor Standards Act, but it was probably a mistake for you not to think about the first and second years sooner. You should probably start by checking your contract to see what it says about carrying unused days over.

1 Like

They said that I can just keep carrying it over but there’s nothing in my contract about it. I read the law and it says that any leave days carried over after two years should be paid out in money. I did book my leave days off in my new contract, but it will be on the last two weeks of my notice, so I don’t know if that will affect things. My main issue is if I will get all 10 days for the third year.

It’s usually prorated. So if you worked only 1 week in the third year, you will get 0 or 1, depending on how nice the company is.

And if in doubt, talk to the labor department.