Annual Taipei Film Festival

Taipei Film Festival 2020 happening now until July 11.

2 Likes

Are there any sites or blogs or whatever that give good recommendations on which films are particularly worth watching? I had a look through the catalog (thanks @tango42!), but had the usual festival reaction of “I’m sure some of these are worth heading into town to see, but which ones?”

English preferred, but Chinese also fine and more likely to exist - I can just throw it in Google Translate.

Whatever you do, don’t see Liberté. It was about as fun as a root canal. The whole film is basically a plotless hardcore orgy in the woods, with ugly people who don’t seem to be enjoying themselves one bit. I was tempted to get up and leave at numerous points, but I was enjoying the A/C too much.

The film: two thumbs down

The A/C: two thumbs up

2 Likes

Port Authority looks like the big pick. And Self Portrait for the photographers.

Oh and of course the Tsai Ming Liang movies.

1 Like

Recommend The Twentieth Century. A pythonesque comedy riffing on Canadian politicians of the late 19th century. Uneven, but some instantly classic scenes. A very unique experience.

Also, if you appreciate Dennis Hopper, the newly 4k restored and hard to find 1980 effort Out of the Blue is required watching. Nihilist social realism in small-town Canada with tremendous acting from Hopper and the actress playing the daughter.

This is the only film festival in the world these days, so for anyone with some cineast interest it is a must - who knows when film festivals will be back worldwide.

3 Likes

The catalogue is pretty weak, at least for the English descriptions, compared to other film festivals. Just a rote plot summary without any analysis/wider pov of the film.

Also recommend Lessons in Love, low-key Italian social realism with lonely farmer questioning life choices of rural life vs city after getting involved with stripper.

2 Likes

Got tix for this one. Better pay off after the Liberté fiasco…

1 Like