Another big nose busted for growing weed

Thanks fenlander (and great name btw). I mean WTF with the fluorescents in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKPBHwxP1c
. You couldn’t grow basil with those lights.

[quote=“zaowangyeh”]Thanks fenlander (and great name btw). I mean WTF with the fluorescents in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZKPBHwxP1c
. You couldn’t grow basil with those lights.[/quote]
:roflmao: :roflmao:
Stop Stop. We should not be laughing about this but you are cracking me up. :roflmao:

I am not trying to bust on these guys (too much) Fen. I just think it is ludacrioushttp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ludacrious that such a small thing would turn into something of media attention. They ARE foreigners though. I just hope that there is the lightest of punishment for these brethen.

Edit: If you have received any calls from those cell phones, clean your place and urine up NOW.

Not true. The word “self-righteous” denotes a smug, excessive or hypocritical sense of moral superiority. One can be aware of being in the right, and be aware that others are in the wrong, without being self-righteous. In any event, I haven’t seen any of that here. Just people, like me, entirely unsympathetic to foreigners who brazenly break the laws of Taiwan and then get deported. Oh what a tragedy. :unamused:[/quote]

Thanks for your expounding and correction here Ginger, but I was simply agreeing with GaoBohan on the post he made before mine. I appreciate it though.[/quote]

Uh…Ginger didn’t write that post, I did. :eh:

Not true. The word “self-righteous” denotes a smug, excessive or hypocritical sense of moral superiority. One can be aware of being in the right, and be aware that others are in the wrong, without being self-righteous. In any event, I haven’t seen any of that here. Just people, like me, entirely unsympathetic to foreigners who brazenly break the laws of Taiwan and then get deported. Oh what a tragedy. :unamused:[/quote]

Thanks for your expounding and correction here Ginger, but I was simply agreeing with GaoBohan on the post he made before mine. I appreciate it though.[/quote]

Uh…Ginger didn’t write that post, I did. :eh:[/quote]

Got it Gao. Again, just agreeing. Thanks for the correction (again).

Edit : My apologies for only reading the G in your name the first time :notworthy:

Heck, it ain’t the first time this week that those of us with a bit of G in our nom de plume are clumped together.
I lay this on down to make us feel so much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqQdfWO6KY&NR=1

“We are the Village Green Preservation Society
God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties
Preserving the old ways from being abused
Protecting the new ways for me and for you
What more can we do
We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society
God save Mrs. Mopp and good Old Mother Riley
We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium
God save the George Cross and all those who were awarded them
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
God save little shops, china cups and virginity
We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliate
God save tudor houses, antique tables and billiards
What more can we do
God save the Village Green.”

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]Heck, it ain’t the first time this week that those of us with a bit of G in our nom de plume are clumped together.
I lay this on down to make us feel so much better:

“We are the Village Green Preservation Society
God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties
What more can we do
We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society
God save Mrs. Mopp and good Old Mother Riley
We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium
God save the George Cross and all those who were awarded them
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
God save little shops, china cups and virginity
We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliate
God save tudor houses, antique tables and billiards
What more can we do
God save the Village Green.”
[/quote]

Light and pleasant indeed. Thanks Ginger Man. Sorry for the mixup there :notworthy: .

weird how that bach snuck in there.
no matter, there’s always this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqQdfWO6KY&NR=1

Huzzah!

Thanks for bringing all that together Ginger. I was sort of wondering how to relate Brandenburg with the lyrics you after-posted. I was really to hesitant to inquire, already embarrassed enough by my previous errors.

[quote=“hipster dufus”][quote=“tommy525”]

MaryJane wont get ME laid oh no.

Id rather have a nice davidoff cigarillo instead, thank you.[/quote]

Dude, that’s exactly what the Pope said! :laughing:[/quote]

That too!

[quote=“zaowangyeh”]I am not trying to bust on these guys (too much) Fen. I just think it is ludacrioushttp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ludacrious that such a small thing would turn into something of media attention. They ARE foreigners though. I just hope that there is the lightest of punishment for these brethen.

Edit: If you have received any calls from those cell phones, clean your place and urine up NOW.[/quote]

What’s the point of smoking this stuff at all in Taiwan…is it that good (I seriously doubt it compared to places like Australia , Canada etc.)? I guess some people don’t mind risk of deportation and jail is MANDATORY (read the links to the couple who both got jail time for a couple of joints…jail for a few smokes…while it’s not Thailand the guy who wrote his story shared a cell with rapist and attempted murderer…that’s a pretty crap risk-return).
Here I’m going to say something pretty harsh but probably truthful. Most of the hash smokers I have met in Taiwan had serious underlying problems, they were unhappy in family circumstances, in their life or they were also alcoholics (now maybe these were the only blatant ones). Now I don’t know which came first…the drug dependency issues or the problems.
Of course there is a younger bunch that is just here for a couple of years I guess…it doesn’t matter if they get deported or thrown in jail to them.

If you smoke hash in Taiwan you are doing something highly illegal in the general society’s eyes. Now we know it is not a big deal in our foreign eyes, that’s what people need to understand.It’s not just the police and the businessman and the neighbours annoyed at your loud music, you are smoking illegal drugs and that is not cool in society’s eyes. I wouldn’t like a crackhead living beside me and my family in my country, I’d do my best to get rid of them. So you need to see how the general Taiwanese put hash in with other hard drugs, rightly or wrongly. Again this is just culture at work, we can’t beat up our wives and children in Western countries but 50-100 years ago it was perfectly acceptable. We prosecute drunken drivers harshly as many people would agree with in the West, in Taiwan they got off very lightly until recently. It’s not about right or wrong but about different cultural values at the moment in time.

I mean I’ve enjoyed it off island but don’t miss it that much in Taiwan. There were some posters saying don’t draw attention and you’ll be all right, generally that’s true but if they had read the OPs description he wasn’t even involved in any dispute and they busted his house first! Plus they can take urine samples anytime they like. So imagine you went to a club, a party, had a car accident…the list goes on.

Let’s compare Taiwan’s law on marijuana with some of the other 3rd world countries in the region.

[color=#FF0000]Brunei - illegal[/color]
Under Brunei law possession of over 600 grams (about 21 oz.) of pot is punishable by death. In a 2004 case, a man was sentenced to death by hanging after being caught with 922 grams (about 32.5 oz.). According to the U.S. State Department, “Penalties for possession or use of, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Brunei are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences, heavy fines, and, possibly, death.”

[color=#FF0000]Cambodia - Defacto legal[/color]
While technically illegal, the use of cannabis is widespread among the Khmer people and foreigners visiting the country. Marijuana can easily be purchased and smoked in public areas without the threat of arrest. Many “Happy” restaurants located in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville publicly offer food cooked with marijuana, or as a side garnish. However, Cambodian drug laws are spottily enforced, but punishment can range from between five years to life in prison if they decide to prosecute you.

[color=#FF0000]China - Legal, except for recreational use[/color]
Cannabis is cultivated for its seeds and for fiber, and has a long medicinal history.

[color=#FF0000]Indonesia - Illegal[/color]
Personal use in small amounts: Maximum sentence of 4 years in prison (additional fines may apply) if caught by the police in possession, intoxication or by positive urine test. However, if the user voluntarily reports himself/herself to the police, or is reported by his/her family, the sentence shall be no more than 6 months in prison or a fine of not more than two-million Indonesian Rupiah/USD$200–250). The punishment for trafficking is death while possession could land you with 10 years in prison. Though uncommon, it’s not unheard of for a tourist to wind up serving a long sentence. The famous case of Schapelle Corby who faced the death penalty but is now serving 20 years for trafficking (she was bringing drugs into the country) may serve as an example.

[color=#FF0000]India - Illegal/Legal (Regulated by Government)[/color]
Used during observance of certain Hindu rituals. Government-owned shops in holy cities like Varanasi sell cannabis in the form of bhang. Despite the high prevalent usage, the law makes it illegal to possess any form of the psychoactive. However, this law is rarely enforced and treated as a low priority across India.

[color=#FF0000]Laos- Illegal[/color]
The real problem here is opium, so police are less likely to worry about pot. Still, discretion is advised. Specific details of the laws are pretty hard to find, but the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade reports that the death penalty is still on the table there. Finding yourself in prison in Laos could mean enduring incredibly inhumane treatment and possibly rape.

[color=#FF0000]Malaysia- Illegal[/color]
Malaysian legislation provides for a mandatory death penalty for convicted drug traffickers. Individuals arrested in possession of 200 grams (seven ounces) of marijuana are presumed by law to be trafficking in drugs.

[color=#FF0000]Myanmar- Illegal[/color]
A document provided by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations seems to indicate a mandatory five to ten year sentence if caught. Actually, that’s the sentence for “[c]ultivation, processing, transportation, distribution, transmission, transfer, forced to cause abuse, misbehaviour on the exhabits of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances.”

[color=#FF0000]Philippines- Illegal[/color]
Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act Of 2002, makes provision for restricted medical use. The Philippines instated the death penalty for trafficking in 2002 and then rescinded this policy in 2006. It has been reported that five grams can land you in prison long term and suggest heavy bribes will be required in order to escape punishment.

[color=#FF0000]Sri Lanka- Illegal[/color]
Cannabis is illegal in Sri Lanka though it is commonly used in Ayurvedic traditional medicines.

[color=#FF0000]Thailand- Illegal[/color]
Thailand has some of the world’s harshest penalties for illegal drugs. The penalties can include jail time or even the death penalty, but that the death penalty hasn’t been enforced since 2004.

[color=#FF0000]Vietnam- Illegal[/color]
Pot use in Vietnam is typically punishable by confining users “in mandatory drug detoxification centers for up to two years, or in some centers, up to five years.” Dealing of large quantities is punishable by death.

Hey maaaan. I wasn’t growing it. It was doing it all by itself man.

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][color=#FF0000]China - Legal, except for recreational use[/color]
Cannabis is cultivated for its seeds and for fiber, and has a long medicinal history.[/quote]

Hey maaaan. I wasn’t growing it for recreational use. I was growing it for its fiber.

I like people who smoke pot. They are always so mellow. But…a law is a law. If you don’t like it then campaign to change it. Even though we call this country home we are still merely guests here. It is their rules and we must follow them like it or not.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]So you need to see how the general Taiwanese put hash in with other hard drugs, rightly or wrongly. Again this is just culture at work, we can’t beat up our wives and children in Western countries but 50-100 years ago it was perfectly acceptable. We prosecute drunken drivers harshly as many people would agree with in the West, in Taiwan they got off very lightly until recently. It’s not about right or wrong but about different cultural values at the moment in time.
[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more HH2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlYsIrusMB4

That tvbs clip said he has been in Taiwan 18 years, teaching english , doing translation work. Seems not a good situ to be in now facing jail time. Looks like he did set up that house as a grow zone.

The seeds just blew in from outside and into the pot dude :slight_smile: . I have to say it is a pity that it is controlled so strictly or I could have mountains of the stuff growing in Miaoli.

Everybody makes mistakes, takes the easy way sometimes, skirts the law a bit, including me. I’d hate to drag my Taiwanese SO or family into such a situation though…criminal record and bad image to your family.

Tommy that was a plant death zone, not a grow zone! The funny thing is Taiwan is really advanced with greenhouse gardening, hydroponics and plant breeding, if it was made legal they’d quickly corner the world market, I’ve no doubt at all!

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“dan2006”]As northcoast surfers picture so succinctly put it, there is no excuse for people not knowing or disregarding the laws of the country they are in. [color=#FF0000]They even stamp that warning on passports as well.[/color]

Essentially, I couldn’t care less what people do in their spare time. Just don’t cry about it later because most people won’t care.[/quote]
I don’t see it in my passport. But you’re right, it is common knowledge, besides, in most countries, ignorance of the law is no defense.[/quote]

Really?

Perhaps not… It was a sticker that they attached to my visa when I applied. They might not attach it to everyone’s visa.

Maybe they thought I was a mule :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]
Nope. Nothing. But, then again, the last time I actually left the island was seven years ago. All I have since then are those multiple entry stickers they put in there everytime your ARC gets renewed, and for the last two years I don’t even have that as I’m on a JFRV.

But it would be a good idea if they did attach such a sticker to your passport, in fact, if they had an English language pamphlet regarding the most important rules, laws and regulations on the island for newcomers it would be even better. Still, as with red light jumpers, that wouldn’t deter everyone.