Another big nose busted for growing weed

They used to put a skull and crossbones stamp on the passport on entry (my surfer dude friend showed it to me years ago)…I think they choose who to give it to though…long scraggly haired type…they made the announcement about ‘drug dealing being liable to death sentence in Taiwan’ when I entered Taiwan last month. The point is everybody knows anyway so if you get caught there’s no point crying like a baby about it.

Psssssst! If you see the police, hide your nose.

Pass it on.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]Psssssst! If you see the police, hide your nose.

Pass it on.[/quote]

Hahaha!!! nice. :roflmao:

Ok, legal question.

If they only busted his nose, how can they lock his ass up??? :ponder:

his nose is connected to his ass. Silly.

I believe there are several jurisdictional precedents that suggest otherwise, counsel.

Tommy that was a plant death zone, not a grow zone! ![/quote]
Well they are not going to put him minding the prison vegetables that is for sure. Not in case he tries to grow any pot but rather to prevent him killing all the veggies :roflmao: Unfortunately although he was bad at growing it he was not quite bad enough as some survived. A pity he didn’t kill it all outright.
Yah getting arrested at his age and situation truly sucks. If he has any sense he will try and get the hell of the island. and hook up with Tommy for a big cigar.

I believe there are several jurisdictional precedents that suggest otherwise, counsel.[/quote]

APPROACH the bench.

OK, so his nose is connected to YOUR ass. Better?

This thread reminds me of the new guy at a school I worked at before. I finished my contract because I was planning on backpacking for a few months. A recruiter brought in a teacher to replace me. In my last week I was to train the new teacher. The new teacher was an American who had previously taught in Japan and Korea. In the first day he was quite arrogant and rude and kept on complaining about Taiwan and talking about how great Japan and Korea were. I could tell that he was going to be a problem, but not mine because I was out of there. On the first day all the foreign teachers decided to have lunch together. He then starts telling us about all the prostitutes he’s slept with and asks us where we can get a hand job. None of us knew, but we told him to look around Longshan temple. Then he starts talking about drugs and asking us where we can find some mary jane. Of course none of us had seen any in Taiwan, so we couldn’t help him. The guy liked to hear himself talk and he had this over-inflated sense of pride. The topic of why he left Korea came up and he said he had been busted growing pot there. He spent several months in jail there and was deported. He talked about it like he was proud and he was a gangster or something. All of us foreign teachers looked around at each other and our jaws collectively dropped. This guy was definitely a loose cannon and we were feeling a bit uneasy.

Later on when the pot-growing new guy wasn’t around we talked about what we should do. We were debating on whether or not we should tell the management. None of us liked the guy, but we didn’t want to go stab him in the back on his first day. In the end it didn’t matter because he snapped at the boss and just walked out of the school never to return. I’ve heard the guy is still in Taiwan, so I thought this story might have been about him when I first read it, but its definitely not. Still though, this fool has been busted once, so whose to say he won’t get busted again.

I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread. You gotta follow the laws of the country you’re in. I’ve heard the legalization debate a hundred times before and I’m quite tired of hearing about it. If you really want to get stoned, just take a trip to Cambodia and get a happy pizza. I don’t know why people would grow it here. Seems like a whole lot of risk and work just to get high.

If you really, honestly don’t know why, then apparently you’ve never been a hardcore stoner (or had other crazy, constant, insatiable cravings). I fully understand why. It does seem incredibly dangerous, and stupid, but addiction is not rational and reasonable.

[quote=“petrarch1603”]

I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread. You gotta follow the laws of the country you’re in…[/quote]
I am not saying that. I am saying if you break the rules of a country knowing fully the consequences then I don’t have much sympathy. However, that is not really true cause I do actually feel sorry for the guy. It was idiocy (idiotic) to play loud music while growing pot and yes he was a fool for doing it. That being said I pity the guy facing these charges at his age. In this case I actually hope they go lenient on him. They won’t but I wish they did. The idiot playing the bongo drums would piss me right off if I was living next door.

[quote=“fenlander”]I pity the guy facing these charges at his age. In this case I actually hope they go lenient on him.[/quote]I also hope they end up downgrading the charges to possession and not trafficking. Perhaps his 18 years in Taiwan, being married to a Taiwanese with possibly a JFRV or an APRC will help him out like it did in the case for Jello. Hopefully, he’ll only get fined and have to attend rehab jail for a relatively short period of time and not get deported afterward.

It’s possible. The mops always play these things to the hilt; this may be wishful thinking but there couldn’t but be some injection of relative reason later during the process.

It’s strange to me how these topics tend to generate so much acrimonious debate. It seems to me there are simply a number of absolutes at work. It’s illegal here. Some people like to do it. The police do enforce the laws, if sporadically. The media will give prominence to any case involving a foreigner, though local drug busts are news fodder as well. You should make yourself aware of the laws of a foreign country–not like this one is a huge surprise in any way, it’s not like a cop pulled up and arrested you for whistling.

You might debate that in as far as marijuana at least, it doesn’t seem to hurt anyone else, at least as much as alcohol. Or the appropriateness of the laws. Whether foreigners are singled out I guess maybe. There’s not all that much controversial about any of it though it seems to me.

I have lots of hair growing out of my nose. I should hide some weed in there.

I know your pain, Doc: back in the days of heavy coke and speed snorting, I had to continually remove all my nostril hairs with a blow torch or they would get clogged and people would mug me to steal them right out of my nasal passages. The cheek of some people!

So, did anyone get arrested for drugs last night?

So why didn’t you tell him to jump in the lake?

What a facetious argument. If the locals don’t follow their own laws, by and large, how is one to convince a foreigner to “follow the law”?
Besides the money to be made by greedy hucksters, some people actually like the effects of maryjane. Believe it or not! Supply & Demand, I suppose you have heard about it?
You’re tired of hearing about the legalization debate? Why is that?

I can’t believe they were after these kids when there are so many richer targets to be had. One thing is certain, they were not selling drugs. Plenty of people are.

Why are the police so dumb? Why can’t they find the REAL drug-dealers?

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]I can’t believe they were after these kids when there are so many richer targets to be had. One thing is certain, they were not selling drugs. Plenty of people are.

Why are the police so dumb? Why can’t they find the REAL drug-dealers?[/quote]

Somebody complained and filed a report. If a report is filed, police have to act. I seriously doubt the “bust,” such as it is, was the result of any STING.

This story is a bit fishy. The cops were waiting to bust the place in the morning. That means they knew that some foreigners were growing or smoking marijuana already. Perhaps the neighbours smelled it or somebody told somebody, maybe the landlord or a maintenance worker saw it.

I don’t know why all the people are crying on here about cops doing this or why don’t they chase something else, everybody knows the cops are useless but if they get asked to do a specific job then they will have to follow it up, especially drugs or arms reports. Growing stuff in a rented apartment?!?
Also, it helps to know some cops or judges or politicians in Taiwan (and elsewhere believe me), it’s that type of place, we know this already.