Another case of divorce, advice most welcomed!

OK, here is my case!

Canadian woman married to a Taiwanese guy. Got married in Canada. Registered the marriage in Taiwan.
I got the JFRV.
We are now looking to get divorced, no fault, just get it over with. No kids, no house, nothing much between the two of us (thank God!).
I’m living in Korea as of February.

Question 1. Do I need to fly back to Taiwan to sign the papers or they can be mailed to me?

Question 2. What should I do for the Canadian part of the issue? Will I need to register the divorce over there and how?

Can’t wait for all that to be behind!!!

Most grateful for all constructive advice!

[quote=“Liz_Taipei”]OK, here is my case!

Canadian woman married to a Taiwanese guy. Got married in Canada. Registered the marriage in Taiwan.
I got the JFRV.
We are now looking to get divorced, no fault, just get it over with. No kids, no house, nothing much between the two of us (thank God!).
I’m living in Korea as of February.

Question 1. Do I need to fly back to Taiwan to sign the papers or they can be mailed to me?

Question 2. What should I do for the Canadian part of the issue? Will I need to register the divorce over there and how?

Can’t wait for all that to be behind!!!

Most grateful for all constructive advice![/quote]

http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/generale/sep-div-a.htm

OK, here’s the followup.

I had to fly back to Taiwan, and we signed the papers, all done in under an hour!

I thought we had to sign the divorce contract in front of an attorney, but it turned out, a the ex-husband found out when he finally decided to collaborate, you can buy the divorce contract in any bookstore and sign it in front of 2 people with Taiwanese ID cards.
We signed ours on the counter of the Household Registration Office, with our 2 witnesses. Then take a number, sit down and register the thing. A few signatures later, shake hands, and happily get out of there! You’re free!!!

It didn’t cost a thing, oh sorry, it cost 100 NT per copy of divorce certificate. That’s all!

For the record, ‘we’ were a simple case: no kids, no house, no nothing. I gave him back the half kilo of yellow gold jewelry that was meant to be my dowry, which I wasn’t wearing anyways. I gave it back out of respect for his family.

I feel for all the forumosans I read about here that are stuck in bad marriages with kids they can’t visit.

Shouldn’t you have the document translated and notarized, stamped by the Canadian office and than have it registered in Canada … for the Canadian law you’re still married … :bow:

I don’t know Canada but I know Denmark.

When you get the stamp at the rear of a photo copy of the divorce agreement, (I am here assuming that the divorce was a mutually agreed one), you take it to a translator, and you then get the it translated into English, and get it certified by thye local court.

That goes to BJOCA for certification, and from there on it’s the trade office, and off to Denmark with the document.

One thing I noticed was that the Danish govt when told about it put the date of the divorce as the original one, not the day it got registered by them. That means that you were divorced in the moment you got it signed here in Taiwan, registering it in Denmark was merely a formality, IE if I re-married in a place where they don’t worry about single certificates and all that I would not be a bigamist.

That’s nice but rather useless to know.

Belgian Pie: I AM divorced! No matter if it’s registered in Canada or not. :bow:

The certificate I got is already in English, real English at that!

No one told me about getting the document certified at the Canadian Trade Office. I’ll fly back to Canada in December and will get the thing registered there.

Ahhhh, glad the worse is over. The rest is just formalities and I don’t need Mr. Ex’s cooperation for that!!!

My ex’s English is still in the experimental stages of Chinglish and having a good knowledge of Mandarin grammar and sentence structure greatly helps understanding the basic nuances of his inspired messages, emails, and … blog!!!

Blog he’s been keeping since I ‘abandoned’ him ‘heartlessly’ last year, with all the good stuff such as defamation, invasion of privacy (many times over, went as far as putting a map of my workplace abroad), publication of scanned handwritten notes, posting of pictures of me when we were still married… I must be forgetting some stuff here.

He’s even contacting my parents on a regular basis, and them, for fear of him slitting his wrists or something, are kind enough to keep contact.

[quote=“Liz_Taipei”]My ex’s English is still in the experimental stages of Chinglish and having a good knowledge of Mandarin grammar and sentence structure greatly helps understanding the basic nuances of his inspired messages, emails, and … blog!!!

Blog he’s been keeping since I ‘abandoned’ him ‘heartlessly’ last year, with all the good stuff such as defamation, invasion of privacy (many times over, went as far as putting a map of my workplace abroad), publication of scanned handwritten notes, posting of pictures of me when we were still married… I must be forgetting some stuff here.

He’s even contacting my parents on a regular basis, and them, for fear of him slitting his wrists or something, are kind enough to keep contact.[/quote]

Wow, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Can the hosts of his blog do anything about what he’s posting?

Your poor parents…

Thanks Indiana!!! The most important part is that he signed the darn piece of paper! It took a few months to get him to do this and I had to give back the ring (expensive) and the gold dowry, which in the end, didn’t matter that much.

I’m now enjoying a very fulfilling life in Korea, dating a NORMAL guy who makes my life even sweeter, that’s what’s important!

Indeed, my poor parents!

No. A legal divorce is recognized just as a legal marriage is. As long as the fivorce complies with the local laws of the land where it is registered ( the household registration office )

[quote=“Liz_Taipei”]Thanks Indiana!!! The most important part is that he signed the darn piece of paper! It took a few months to get him to do this and I had to give back the ring (expensive) and the gold dowry, which in the end, didn’t matter that much.

I’m now enjoying a very fulfilling life in Korea, dating a NORMAL guy who makes my life even sweeter, that’s what’s important!

Indeed, my poor parents![/quote]

Thank goodness he signed and you were able to move on to normality. Worth every penny of the ring and dowry I’m sure! :slight_smile:

Indiana, well worth it indeed!

And I just got an email last week from him… He asked me to join him on a trip to Xinjiang because he misses me…

There must have been something in the water in the area he was born and raised!

To keep the occasional wanderer to this thread entertained…

I’m now remarried to a GREAT guy, NORMAL, stable personality, umbilical cord cut and dried decades ago (unlike Ex), and we’re going to be parents in march (which proves the I didn’t have fertility problems, but Ex does)… Oh, and by the way, he’s a Chinese expat in Korea, mouhahahhahah… And he doesn’t mind that I’m divorced.

The differences between him and his friends in Korea, and the Taiwanese (met while living in Taiwan, haven’t met a single one here and not complaining) are astonishing! It’s like they’re from 2 different planets, amen for that!

And I get to use my mandarin, all these years of effort are paying off!

So to all of you out there going through a divorce, hang in there. Life in the D club is sweet and you never know when you’ll join the married club again! And next time around, you really know how to avoid the pitfalls!

[quote=“Liz_Taipei”]To keep the occasional wanderer to this thread entertained…

I’m now remarried to a GREAT guy, NORMAL, stable personality, umbilical cord cut and dried decades ago (unlike Ex), and we’re going to be parents in march (which proves the I didn’t have fertility problems, but Ex does)… Oh, and by the way, he’s a Chinese expat in Korea, mouhahahhahah… And he doesn’t mind that I’m divorced.

The differences between him and his friends in Korea, and the Taiwanese (met while living in Taiwan, haven’t met a single one here and not complaining) are astonishing! It’s like they’re from 2 different planets, amen for that!

And I get to use my Mandarin, all these years of effort are paying off!

So to all of you out there going through a divorce, hang in there. Life in the D club is sweet and you never know when you’ll join the married club again! And next time around, you really know how to avoid the pitfalls![/quote]
Good to know things are working out for you. I used to follow your blog (I think it was you…), but it went quiet. Now I guess I know why…

It’s great to hear you’re having a happy ending. :bravo:

How dare he.

Must be. He probably comes from some backwards village where people think you’re supposed to get married for life. Those are the sort who don’t cooperate when their spouses abruptly initiate divorce and move to Korea to party on the, like, totally sweet D scene. To think, this jerk misses the woman he wanted to love and cherish the rest of his life, and, ugh, wants to take her on a trip. What a waste of space.

It’s clear from your posts that your maturity greatly exceeds that big baby’s. It’s good see you’re so happy with your, you know, GREAT and NORMAL new husband.

Totally! Oh man, you never know when you may feel the pull one way or the other. Those divorceé’s really know how to party, but like, married people rock! I mean really! Thank goodness you’re so modern, not like that primitive ex-husband of yours. Hopefully Korea’s divorce process will be as simple as Taiwan’s.

Hold on. Less than a year and a half ago you were getting divorced and were upset enough about the whole thing to air your dirty laundry on here. Now you’re married AGAIN? :loco:

Does seem a bit soon… :ponder:

Does seem a bit soon… :ponder:[/quote]

Some women need that…

Hey you guys are funny!

I like how some stuff I posted got twisted, like, ‘partying in Korea’, which was not mentionned in my original post, only that living as a divorcee doesn’t have to be miserable and life is full of hope…

However, yep, getting married a year after signing divorce papers is a bit early, but heck, we both thought we had fertility issues (based from our previous relationship), and turned out WE don’t and THEY (both exes) do… So no matter how many gallons of ‘baby soup’ (a Chinese medicine concoction she was happy to feed me everytime I went there) the ex’s mom would have fed me, it would probably not have worked out. She should instead try some on her son, he needs it!

So our little surprise kind of forced us to speed the process, but we both wanted a child for years, so there you go!!!

A divorce IS an upsetting experience, no matter how it goes. The fact he first refused to sign didn’t make it easier. He’s from a suburb of Taipei, surprisingly, not from a far out village only accessible on foot, as he sounds like! And leaving the country, THEN asking for divorce was the safest option for me, as he later proved to have impulse control problems.

Bismarck, my old blog of life in Taipei has the link to my new blog in Korea. I used to follow your blog too, but lost the link!

Gao Bohan… Really… Frustrated? Stuck yourself in a sucky marriage? Why wish me a second divorce? That’s kind ofmean!!! Whatever! You twisted what I wrote also…

[quote=“Liz_Taipei”]However, yep, getting married a year after signing divorce papers is a bit early, but heck, we both thought we had fertility issues (based from our previous relationship), and turned out WE don’t and THEY (both exes) do… So no matter how many gallons of ‘baby soup’ (a Chinese medicine concoction she was happy to feed me every time I went there) the ex’s mom would have fed me, it would probably not have worked out. She should instead try some on her son, he needs it!

So our little surprise kind of forced us to speed the process, but we both wanted a child for years, so there you go![/quote]
Hey, that’s awesome! Congratulations for finding your Mr. Right, and for the pregnancy! I’m very happy for you, and I suspect so are most of the others reading this post. :slight_smile: :bravo: