Another closeted religious queen outted

Another example of extreme religious hypocricy. So the dear pastor was merrily taking drugs and humping male whores while opposing same sex marriage. Perhaps like all the other uber-hypocrites he just wanted to keep his man man sex nice and dirty, perhaps devilish would be the right adjective. Meanwhile, decent gay men wanting the legal and social benefits marriage can bring are locked out in the cold.

The cynicism and hypocricy of these people is truly mind blowing.

HG

[quote]Church sacks US pastor at centre of gay sex claims
A powerful US religious leader at the centre of gay sex and drugs allegations has been dismissed from his church after an investigation indicated he was guilty of sexual misconduct.

A statement released by the New Life Church following an investigation into the lurid accusations surrounding Ted Haggard said it had been “proven without a doubt” the pastor had “committed sexually immoral conduct”.

Mr Haggard, who had stepped down from his post at the church and as leader of the powerful National Association of Evangelicals earlier this week, admitted to buying drugs and having a massage from a male prostitute.

But the 50-year-old married father of five had steadfastly denied he had ever had sex with his accuser, Mike Jones, who claimed the religious leader had regularly paid for sex with him over a three-year period.

The New Life Church’s overseer board said in a statement it was satisfied Mr Haggard - a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage who has close links to the White House - was guilty of sexual misconduct.

“In consultation with leading evangelicals and experts familiar with the type of behaviour Pastor Haggard has demonstrated, we have decided that the most positive and productive direction for our church is his dismissal and removal,” the statement said.

“In addition, the Overseers will continue to explore the depth of Pastor Haggard’s offence so that a plan of healing and restoration can begin.” - AFP[/quote]

The conundrum of anti-gay gays puzzles me to no end.

Agreed, Chris. Self-loathing comes to mind. It’s either that or immeasurable cynicism.

I should have mentioned that he was also “president of the National Association of Evangelicals and the leading lobbist (sic) in Colorado against gay marriage.”

I see in the US they’re somehow tying this to reps and dems. I don’t understand that.

HG

Probably too much money and power to lose.

I hope there’s a special place in Hell for hypocrites like him.

Not a very credible liar either, is he?

Admits he got massages from a gay prostitute but denies having sex with him. Yeah right.

Admits he bought meth from the guy but claims he threw it out and never used it. :unamused:

Haven’t heard anything that lame since Clinton claimed he tried pot but didn’t inhale.

well, I hear Clinton had a cigar he really didn’t smoke , so… anything’s possible

Actually, one of Clinton’s friends backed him up on that. Said that they tried like hell to teach him, but he couldn’t do it. Still, lame.

Ah the irony of the whole thing=Bush surrounded by anti-gay gays. :roflmao:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Agreed, Chris. Self-loathing comes to mind. It’s either that or immeasurable cynicism.

I should have mentioned that he was also “president of the National Association of Evangelicals and the leading lobbist (sic) in Colorado against gay marriage.”

I see in the US they’re somehow tying this to reps and dems. I don’t understand that.

HG[/quote]

The fact that his organisation was one of the major backers of the Republican party on the Religious Right?

guardian.co.uk/midterms2006/ … 20,00.html

[quote]Pastor Ted, who talks to President George W. Bush or his advisers every Monday, is a handsome forty-eight-year-old Indianan, most comfortable in denim. He likes to say that his only disagreement with the President is automotive; Bush drives a Ford pickup, whereas Pastor Ted loves his Chevy

The press tends to regard Dobson as the most powerful evangelical Christian in America, but Pastor Ted is at least his equal. Whereas Dobson plays the part of national scold, promising to destroy politicians who defy the Bible, Pastor Ted quietly guides those politicians through the ritual of acquiescence required to save face. He doesn’t strut, like Dobson; he gushes. When Bush invited him to the Oval Office to discuss policy with seven other chieftains of the Christian right in late 2003, Pastor Ted regaled his whole congregation with the story via email. “Well, on Monday I was in the World Prayer Center”—New Life’s high-tech, twenty-four-hour-a-day prayer chapel —“and my cell phone rang.” It was a presidential aide; “the President,” says Pastor Ted, wanted him on hand for the signing of the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act. Pastor Ted was on a plane the next morning and in the President’s office the following afternoon. “It was incredible,” wrote Pastor Ted. He left it to the press to note that Dobson wasn’t there.

No pastor in America holds more sway over the political direction of evangelicalism than does Pastor Ted, and no church more than New Life.[/quote]

harpers.org/SoldiersOfChrist-200 … 48488.html

The Harper’s article was originally from May 2005, so that makes this interesting:
(The whole church was designed and built under Haggard’s direction.)

Or maybe not to Jesus, after all.

Well there’s a clue right there.

And as for the divine bukkake . . . God’s honey?

HG

Actually, one of Clinton’s friends backed him up on that. Said that they tried like hell to teach him, but he couldn’t do it. Still, lame.[/quote]

Gads, a president who can’t learn to inhale?

I guess Bill was always just good at blowing hot air not sucking it in. :laughing:

Actually, one of Clinton’s friends backed him up on that. Said that they tried like hell to teach him, but he couldn’t do it. Still, lame.[/quote]

The first time I tried pot I couldn’t inhale - the smoke was too hot and harsh, burning my esophagus. So when Clinton said that, I thought it was unremarkable. Still, lame.

But this gay preacher’s excuses are truly lame.

That poor man.

Oh pastor, please, please find the strength to overcome this nasty splodge spot on your otherwise exemplary life.

HG

The first time I tried pot I couldn’t inhale - the smoke was too hot and harsh, burning my esophagus. So when Clinton said that, I thought it was unremarkable. Still, lame.

But this gay preacher’s excuses are truly lame.[/quote]

You shouldve tried gravity bongs. They dont allow for much time tothink andor react and the water cools the smoke…so they tell me. :unamused: :rainbow:

Here’s a brief re-cap of a few other former-televangelists.

Jim Bakker

After receiving millions in salary and bonusues from his PTL televangelism network, Jim Bakker was forced to resign in 1987 following threats of the revelation of payoffs to former secretary Jessica Hahn, to whom Bakker’s staff members had paid $265,000 to keep secret her sexual services to him. A later investigation into financial irregularities at PTL and its Heritage USA Christian-oriented theme park led to Bakker additionally being indicted on federal charges of fraud, tax evasion, and racketeering.

Benny Hinn

A current fraud scandal involves televangelist Benny Hinn, famous for his televised faith healing

Kent Hovind

On November 2, 2006, Kent Hovind and his wife, Jo, were found guilty by a jury in Federal court in Pensacola, Florida of numerous federal tax and tax-related offenses. Hovind is currently in prison, awaiting sentencing on January 9, 2007. He has been ordered to forfeit $430,400 and faces a maximum of 288 years in prison.

Peter Popoff

Prominent 1980’s-era faith healer and televangelist Peter Popoff was publicly exposed by noted skeptic James Randi working together with popular TV host Johnny Carson, when it was discovered that the apparent healing miracles and prophetic acts performed by Popoff were in fact part of an elaborately stage-managed setup including planting of audience members and broadcasts to an in-ear radio receiver.

Oral Roberts

In 1987 Oral Roberts addressed his television audience telling them that God had told him to raise $8 million (£4.5 million), if he did not God would “take him home”. He raised $9.1 million. By 1989, due to financial difficulties, he had to close down the City of Faith Hospital Complex. Former employees have alleged that he used ministry funds to buy clothes, jewelry and fund travel in a private jet.

Jimmy Swaggart

Jimmy Swaggart admitted sinning against God and his wife in 1988 after being caught on film taking a prostitute to a motel. He built his ministry into a $150 million-a-year (£65m) concern. The following year after allegations of a 10-year affair his television audience of two million turned their backs on him.

Robert Tilton

By late 1980s Robert Tilton was pulling in $80 million (£45 million) a year through his Success-N-Life television program. In 1991 ABC’s Primetime Live announced that prayer requests sent along with financial donations to Tilton’s organization were being thrown away without being read. Primetime Live also did exposés on two other televangelists: W.V. Grant and Larry Lea. Tilton’s infomercials have been recently (as of 2006) airing on BET. Tilton is also famous for the internet video series The Farting Preacher, which is composed of various clips of his infomericials with sounds of flatulence dubbed over to accompany his body language.

Jim Whittington

Jim Whittington spent 10 years in prison for money laundering, mail fraud, conspiracy, and interstate transportation of stolen property from his evangelist crusades and direct mail business in the 1980s. On November 2, 2005, U.S. District Court Judge Malcolm Howard ordered the Rev. Jim Whittington to pay $5,500 a month. Whittington, who had expensive high-speed boats and a Rolls-Royce, owed wheelchair-bound Valeria Lust $848,532.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_ … t_scandals

And now Ted Haggard: purchasing and using methamphetamine and having sex with a gay prostitute monthly for 3 years despite his harsh condemnation of homosexuality. Then lying to cover it all up.

Makes one wonder how a person could be so screwed up and/or gullible to continue to believe, trust, and even idolize such scam artists, but many do.

Incidentally, for those who weren’t aware, Mr. Haggard’s church is based in Colorado Springs, which is famous for its extremely large population of cults, extremist churches and misguided followers. :loco:

Watching these guys up close actually reminds me of the Grateful Dead and the Deadheads. It’s a following kinda thing. I wonder what kind of hardcore “fans” follow them around the country selling grilled cheese sandwiches. How many godheads are out there?

Every evangelical service is the same, but different. If you ask me if I “believed” in the Dead, I wouldn’t know what you were talking about. Maybe these folks are into the same kinda thing here…it’s all about the show, not necessarily a “belief” in what the show presents.

Hmmmmm, humus burgers…

[quote=“jdsmith”]Watching these guys up close actually reminds me of the Grateful Dead and the Deadheads. It’s a following kinda thing. I wonder what kind of hardcore “fans” follow them around the country selling grilled cheese sandwiches. How many godheads are out there?

Every evangelical service is the same, but different. If you ask me if I “believed” in the Dead, I wouldn’t know what you were talking about. Maybe these folks are into the same kinda thing here…it’s all about the show, not necessarily a “belief” in what the show presents.[/quote]

'cept the Dead weren’t selling anything, other than a real good time. That’s just one more in a long list of reasons I love/d the Dead.

[quote=“Tigerman”]

'cept the Dead weren’t selling anything, other than a real good time. That’s just one more in a long list of reasons I love/d the Dead.[/quote]

Well, they were selling their music and the deadhead scene was pilot fishing alongside of the traveling dead circus. I’m more referring to the fans anyway. Do the Godheads have a sweet parking lot scene set up?

“Who needs a miracle?” :laughing:

Well, yeah. But, for years the Dead made no money on their music. All their success came at the latter half of their trip.

What I meant was that the Dead never tried to sell me on any particular belief or way of life. In that way, I think there was/is an obvious difference between the traveling Dead shows and these snake oil preachers.