Another Coincidence: Kuwait Gives Women Right to Vote

Rascal:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiley:

Rascal, you question Fred’s first post in which he asks rhetorically [quote]No doubt just another amazing and unusual coincidence that has nothing to do with American or Bush policies in the region… yeah right. [/quote]
That would surely suggest that you disagree with Fred and that no, American or Bush policies had nothing to do with the decision to give suffrage to women right prior to a visit to the US by the Kuwaiti bigwig.
So, after a fight of more than 20 years by Kuwaiti women, what do YOU feel was the reason for the Kuwaiti decision. We already know you don’t agree with my idea that the princes were simply being nice to the ladies, so what do YOU think was the reason – I mean you certainly must have clear views, since you’re so sure it had nothing to do with Washington. Right?
Remember, de Rhone 'aint a river in Germany, and you can take that to the 7-11 and get a free Hello Kitty magnet. MFGR, did I do it right?

I didn’t say I disagree, I merely wanted to see some proof of fred’s claim. He demands this from others, so let’s hold him up to his own standards.
However I am aware that it is difficult if not impossible to prove, but so is the opposite - hence why I choose to refrain from expressing any ‘clear views’ on the matter.
This however does not restrict me from questioning the views by others, does it?

Wrong; I didn’t make such claim. (see also above)

This time I am not making a strong assertion that Washington was solely or even primarily responsible for the events in Kuwait. I am merely pointing to them and suggesting that wow yet another amazing coincidence which no doubt has nothing to do with Bush. Naturally, I cannot help but be amused when we get the clamoring dissidents who will rush at every opportunity to deny the benefit of American policies and Bush’s in particular rush to the attack yet once again.

I have pointed out that the reporter in question “believes” that the reason for the granting of women’s rights is because of the upcoming trip to Washington DC. Most of us understand that when reporters use such terms it is done to reflect widespread or highly influential sentiment that the statement is true. Whether it is or not is not entirely relevant since that is the impression on the ground in Kuwait. What Rascal or Traveller think is irrelevant here because it is a stocktaking of public opinion in Kuwait not on the Forumosa forum no? Surely that is clear.

In the meantime, you all can just take your bubble gun wrappers down to the five and dime to demand a refund cuz I ain’t a listenin. You can all just whistle Dixie until the cows come home because the barn is painted and I am going to have a party. So take that to the bank and don’t take any wooden nickels on the way! Thanks for playing! Bye bye now!

I will remind you of that the next time we have a reporter using such terms when they report negatively about Bush and his policies. And of course I expect that you will spare us your opinion then as it would be irrelevant. Fair?

Rascal:

As you wish. Again, I am not making an assertion. I am merely pointing out that it seems to be yet another example of an amazing coincidence. So like you, given that I am not making an assertion of anything either, what really then are you so worried about? This is not after all a legal document or formal declaration. Why does my pointing this amazing coincidence out ruffle your feathers so. Like you, I am truly amazed and yet this latest coincidence where democracy and advancement of human rights has occurred under the watch of George W. Bush. No one, I assure you, was more surprised to see yet another such coincidence occur while Bush was in office. These coincidences no doubt have a convenient and easily explainable answer which I am sure that someone with your knowledge of and interest in the region would no doubt like to share to help “clear up” this string of “amazing coincidences.” I shall be all ears waiting for any such attempt to explain these “amazing coincidences” since as I said I am not making any assertions. I am merely pointing out yet again that another “amazing coincidence” has occurred. Surely you too are equally “amazed” at the number of “coincidences” that have occurred in the past several years. I understand that they have been agitating for these rights for 20 years maybe 30 but then for it to happen, here, now, well I am just flabbergasted but like I said, I will very much look forward to being “demystified” with your rational and ready explanation for this sudden turn of events, this “amazing coincidence.” Perhaps, you could ask MFGR for some colorful language to assist in your effort to explain this. I find a ready turn of phrase always goes a long way to making things easier for the “common people” such as myself to understand.

Amazingly Coincidentally Yours

Frederick P. Smith v.

Fred, most of this will be somewhat irrelevant as this is the political right to vote and hold office, how long do you think it will take for the populace to actually allow the women the ability to vote. You view on this as usual is to simplistic, will the mullahs allow women the right to vote in religious circles which donminate so much of middle eastern life, i doubt it.

What do you think would happen if enough women got elected and voted in the right not to have to wear the - name escapes me - the full length conceal everything form of dress. Would society accept it ?

Actually (haha) Traveller:

My understanding is that they will in fact be allowed to vote as in not just a political right but an actuality. Perhaps, you have misread the article?

[quote=“fred smith”]Actually (haha) Traveller:

My understanding is that they will in fact be allowed to vote as in not just a political right but an actuality. Perhaps, you have misread the article?[/quote]

Fred, no misread, i will await the first available time for this mriacle to happen, and then see the result. A change in policy does not change society.

And here’s another “coincidence” for you. Egypt is having an
election, First Lady Laura Bush is in Cairo, and the “march of
democracy” is going just as expected…

Anti-Mubarak Protesters Beaten in Cairo

By Megan K. Stack
Times Staff Writer
May 26, 2005

[i]CAIRO

[quote]Women were surrounded, groped and had their clothes
torn. Some demonstrators were thrown down flights of
concrete stairs, dragged by their hair and kicked by swarms
of young men. [/quote]

Strange that the Western media and the concerned Arab brethren have not begun some kind of boycott against Egypt or its government for this outrage against Muslim women? I would imagine that some sort of an official apology would be in order or that the Egyptian government would be forced into conducting some kind of an investigation while the “world waits.” No? Hmmm? I guess groping of women is all right as long as the perpetrators are all Muslim as well? Surely?

[quote=“fred smith”][quote]Women were surrounded, groped and had their clothes
torn. Some demonstrators were thrown down flights of
concrete stairs, dragged by their hair and kicked by swarms
of young men. [/quote]

Strange that the Western media and the concerned Arab brethren have not begun some kind of boycott against Egypt or its government for this outrage against Muslim women? I would imagine that some sort of an official apology would be in order or that the Egyptian government would be forced into conducting some kind of an investigation while the “world waits.” No? Hmmm? I guess groping of women is all right as long as the perpetrators are all Muslim as well? Surely?[/quote]

If they’d flushed some Arab women down the toilet, I’m sure we’d get a response from the Muslim world. Not to mention the Guiness Book of World Records,

cheers,
DB

Anncoulter.com – who said that schizophrenics with rabies can’t write?

Yes, I know that it is a shocker. All this Newsweek business on US abuses but it turns out the only case of someone flushing a Koran down a toilet involved a Muslim al Qaeda prisoner. But be sure and read in the NY Times headline today about how Koran “harm” has occured by intentional and accidental “touching and non-touching” of the Koran. That is sure cause for a riot in my “book.”

Other tragic developments that clearly show Bush’s policies in the Middle East are a drastic failure. Wonder why the women’s organizations in the US and other Western countries have been so silent. Surely, this is something that they can agree is good?

[quote]Women appointed to Kuwait council

The government of Kuwait has named two women as members of its municipal council, for the first time in the history of the Gulf emirate.
A government minister said the cabinet decided this at its weekly meeting. The women are among six appointed members of the 16-member civic body - which go to the Emir for ratification. Ten other councillors were elected in the male-only elections on 2 June. Women will be able to take part in parliamentary elections in 2007.

Following the decision by the parliament, women in Kuwait will make their election debut in the 2007 poll and in the next municipal election in 2009. The Emir of Kuwait has backed female suffrage in the face of strong opposition from tribal and Islamist factions in parliament, the BBC’s Gulf correspondent Julia Wheeler reports. The move means that Kuwait joins Bahrain, Oman and Qatar as the only Gulf States to give women the right to vote and also stand for public office. [/quote]

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4611729.stm

And yet another strange anomaly that has nothing to do with anything but represents a strange and mystifying coincidence that can be attributed to 30 years of European-style “dialogue.” Right?

[quote]Kuwait’s woman minister sworn-in

Massouma Mubarak: It’s a great victory for Kuwaiti women
Kuwait’s first woman cabinet minister has been sworn-in amid noisy protests from Islamist politicians. Massouma al-Mubarak, the new planning minister, described her appointment as a “great victory” for Kuwaiti women. Tribal and Islamist MPs banged their desks and shouted in protest as she took her oath in parliament. They fiercely opposed last month’s historic bill giving women full political rights, and say Ms Mubarak’s appointment is unconstitutional. They said that as she had not registered as a voter she was not eligible to become a member of parliament. As they stood and shouted in protest, liberal politicians stood as well, shouting congratulations to the 57-year-old US-educated political science teacher. [/quote]

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4111234.stm