Another Girl Attacked by Taxi Driver

Well, my Taiwanese female friend is now walking around with a bandage, thanks to taxi driver… and the police do nothing… here is the story.

Around 9pm, on a weekday night. Walks up and gets into taxi sitting at curb. After getting in taxi, realizes she wants to go into store so gets immediately out of taxi. After shopping inside she comes out… the taxi still sitting at curb. She starts to walk and the taxi driver jumps out and starts yelling that she needs to take his taxi or owes him NT$70.

She says she owes him nothing. He proceeds to chase her around on the sidewalk, she tries to tell him to leave her alone. She screams and yells. People around them do nothing. Eventually the taxi driver hits her a couple of times, a bit of a scuffle, and sometime during it all she ends up bleeding, and could up with a scar in a very visible location. Other taxi drivers start showing also… just in case the one can’t handle the girl I guess.

The police eventually show up and ask her what she wants to do. Confused after being attaked by the taxi driver, she asks what are her options. The police say she can press charges or sue him, but she will still have to pay the costs and there is no promise that she will win and get anything.

The taxi driver gets to leave, she ends up walking away with no consideration or assistance from police.

I apparently don’t understand the culture… and how it is ok for a man to hit a woman in Taiwan and no one will do anything…

ALL THIS OVER NT$70.

You’re correct, it would have been far easier to simply pay the 70NT$ she owed him.

There are some nasty pieces of work driving around in cabs here. I had to pull one halfway through his window by the hair for slighting me once, which wasn’t very nice as I don’t think he’d washed it for weeks.

Did she make clear to him that she didn’t want him to wait? Maybe he thought he was supposed to wait for her. No excuse of course. She didn’t get his number? She has six months to decide whether to do anything. All the cops are required to do is file the report – anything they offer other than that is purely their personal opinion on the matter and nothing more.
As long as she has a copy of the police report and some photos from the hospital she can take her time, wait until the shock and anger has worn off a bit, and then make a decision on whether she wants to pursue the guy.

[quote=“sandman”]There are some nasty pieces of work driving around in cabs here. I had to pull one halfway through his window by the hair for slighting me once, which wasn’t very nice as I don’t think he’d washed it for weeks.[/quote] :bravo: :notworthy:

I’m considering walking aroud with a botle off some ugly stuff I can trow inside cabs windows everytime they abroatch me from behind and then honk the horn like that will make me want to ride with them. :loco:

It only make me want to mess them up so badly that they wont be able to drive again befout the car is adapted for weelchair users. :fume:

do you guys think we could form a guardian angels branch here in taiwan?

Man, how come this never happens in front of me?

The idea scares the shit out of me, but of course if it’s played out in front of you, then you have to act. Are Taipei taxi drivers still as “unionised” as they once were?

In my thinking one radio call and there could be hundreds appearing, and not one of them interested in questions.

HG

Man, how come this never happens in front of me? [/quote]

There is a good reason stuff doesn’t happen to you and I. Cowardly bastards think twice before hitting someone that weighs twice as much as them

You’re correct, it would have been far easier to simply pay the 70NT$ she owed him.[/quote]

And she shouldn’t have worn that revealing dress. She was just asking for it.

[quote=“Stian”][quote=“sandman”]There are some nasty pieces of work driving around in cabs here. I had to pull one halfway through his window by the hair for slighting me once, which wasn’t very nice as I don’t think he’d washed it for weeks.[/quote] :bravo: :notworthy:

I’m considering walking aroud with a botle off some ugly stuff I can trow inside cabs windows everytime they abroatch me from behind and then honk the horn like that will make me want to ride with them. :loco:

[/quote]

Wouldn’t something like this be way more ironic? :wink: Wait until they’re parallel to you and look out the window.

Look at it from the taxi driver’s point of view. He has to sit around all night waiting for people to pick up. It’s his job. Some person hails his taxi, so he stops to get a fare. Then the person jumps out and goes to a store to pick up some stuff. The taxi driver waits around, waiting for the person to get back in so he can take her to her home. But surprisingly, the person says, “No, I’m just going walk, changed my mind, ta ta!” The taxi driver is like, “I’ve just wasted 15 minutes of my professional time waiting around for you, and you blow me off because you are too flighty. The very least you could do is compensate me for my wasted time, on a busy night when I could have been picking up dozens of other customers.” Customer refuses to compensates taxi driver for wasting his time. Taxi driver gets mad and demands his compensation.

Message: don’t try and stiff people. Pay people what you owe them. 70 Nt is nothing to you, but to a real working person, it’s actually quite a bit of money.

[quote=“Quentin”]Look at it from the taxi driver’s point of view. He has to sit around all night waiting for people to pick up. It’s his job. Some person hails his taxi, so he stops to get a fare. Then the person jumps out and goes to a store to pick up some stuff. The taxi driver waits around, waiting for the person to get back in so he can take her to her home. But surprisingly, the person says, “No, I’m just going walk, changed my mind, ta ta!” The taxi driver is like, “I’ve just wasted 15 minutes of my professional time waiting around for you, and you blow me off because you are too flighty. The very least you could do is compensate me for my wasted time, on a busy night when I could have been picking up dozens of other customers.” Customer refuses to compensates taxi driver for wasting his time. Taxi driver gets mad and demands his compensation.

Message: don’t try and stiff people. Pay people what you owe them. 70 Nt is nothing to you, but to a real working person, it’s actually quite a bit of money.[/quote]

Even if that is what happened, it doesn’t justify the violence.

No, it doesn’t justify the violence.

But let’s say a customer walks into your restaurant, orders some food, takes a bite, then walks out without paying.

[quote=“Quentin”]No, it doesn’t justify the violence.

But let’s say a customer walks into your restaurant, orders some food, takes a bite, then walks out without paying.[/quote]

Its happened on more than one occassion. So far, I haven’t responded with violence. :s

Well, taxi drivers here used to rape and murder women with reckless abandon, so I guess this is a step up. If you get in a taxi and then get straight out you still owe the flag fall. This woman was rather naiive, or possibly just plain arrogant, in thinking she’d get away with it. I guess she just didn’t expect a beating.

Good to to see the world’s most useless police living up to their well deserved reputation. Spinless cowards that they are. Sorry, lazy feckless good for nothing spineless lazy cowards. And Lazy. Have I said that already?

Don’t be so hard on them Lord lucan, it naturally takes time to work out they’re new role. Shooting and beating political opponents carried a measure of prestige.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Don’t be so hard on them Lord lucan, it naturally takes time to work out they’re new role. Shooting and beating political opponents carried a measure of prestige.

HG[/quote]

Yes, and afterwards we can see them all crying on TV!

Are we talking about the same thing here?

Anyway, they are a pafuckingthetic bunch of wankers.

Oops! Forgot about that. Yeah, your girlfriend stiffed him for the cab fare. Still no excuse for violence. The cab driver is the one who should have called the cops and had her charged.

There are ways and means of doing things. Smacking women around is not one of those ways, regardless of the situation.

I find most taxi drivers here to be the scum of the earth. I saw an accident last night where a taxi hit an old lady on a scooter and sent her flying across the road for about 20 feet. He calmly got out, walked to the front of his car, inspected the damage, got back in and drove off.

Bastards.

There are ways and means of doing things. Smacking women around is not one of those ways, regardless of the situation.

I find most taxi drivers here to be the scum of the earth. I saw an accident last night where a taxi hit an old lady on a scooter and sent her flying across the road for about 20 feet. He calmly got out, walked to the front of his car, inspected the damage, got back in and drove off.

Bastards.[/quote]
That reminds me of last Saturday on the corner of Jianguo and Heping. Broad daylight, lunchtime, busy. Taxi swerves across from the outside to the inside lane at the last second with no signal, to make a right at the intersection, sideswipes an old woman on a scooter who was trying to go straight ahead in a totally legal fashion. Taxi driver stops, examines his car for damage, makes to get back in, ignoring the woman on the ground. Other drivers and pedestrians immediately grab him bodily. The hit woman is on her feet now, shaken and dazed but apparently unhurt. Taxi driver, still held by the arms by three or four people, starts lunging at the woman, bracing himself against his captors and lashing out with both feet, but he’s not close enough. His fare, realizing no doubt that her driver is a psycho, gets out of the cab and makes to walk off. Taxi driver makes a break for her, does his flying kick thing again, but catches her square in the back and sends her flying. By this time there are a whole bunch of people holding him and they’ve got him on the ground, guys sitting on him, the whole bit, while he’s raving, practically frothing at the mouth.
He couldn’t have weighed more than 120 pounds, either – a real skinny wee runt of a man. I managed to catch his eye and made a “swirling the ice around the glass pipe” motion with my hands. You can ask anyone there – he actually started to gibber. First time I’ve actually ever heard anyone really gibber.
I really think he might have been “on” something, I really do. :laughing: