Another New Record

So I go over the EOT test paper as a formality, since its the second one they’ve had, the MT being of the same format.

I outline the content of Questions 1 to 5, mentioning some of the ways they could screw it up.

I physically show them the test paper (at an unreadable distance) flipping it to show writing on both sides.

I verbally warn them to remember to turn over the test paper, because some numpty always forgets.

I write “The Test Paper HAS TWO(2) SIDES”, on the board, supplementing the 1-5 question outlines already there. I’m quietly confident.

3/21 failed to turn over the paper and so only did Q1-3.

New all-time record.

Always a surprise in this job, even if its the same surprise, its still surprising.

3 Likes

You are helping to sort things out for society. Perhaps view this as a social good.

Guy

I invigilated a computer test yesterday in a lab with 60 computer terminals. Three students came to speak to me because the computer they chose wasn’t working.

Maybe Q4 and Q5 are really hard and they don’t know what to write :wink:

Sheets of paper that need to be turned over are basically an obsolete technology. Not surprising that a few students failed to flip them over. And who listens to the teacher droning on at the front of the classroom anyway?

3 Likes

People less likely to fail exams, apparently

And we thought you were the “cool” teacher…

Nope. I go by the numbers, so I fail people.

Taiwanese teachers tend not to and it can take a while for students to get the difference

Does failing them serve a useful purpose ? Do they actually get better after a fail ?

Students have to take an English language course again if they fail, in order to get their two credits, so I guess that might make them better.

IME Taiwanese teachers don’t “tend not to” fail students. A colleague of mine fails a third of every class regardless of how good they are!

2 Likes

Like the Mr Bean paper A and paper B

2 Likes

that’s this guy:

3 Likes

Brilliant! That was the teachers I worked with at an ‘experimental’ school recently.

1 Like

takin’ a dookie on the bard?

1 Like

Sometimes. I found the positive effects are more on the rest of the class, because now it’ll be smaller, I can give more individual attention, and I can spend less time reviewing material that everyone else already knows.

2 Likes

Why do that ? Failing 1/3 of a class , it has logic behind it or is he just a c…t? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They don’t do homework, don’t participate in class; sleep, or play with their phones. And that’s when they actually attend.
Are they supposed to be automatically passed?

7 Likes

I usually fail around 10 percent of a class, and that’s always down to poor attendance and not completing homework. If they show up and look like they’re putting in effort they’ll pass.

6 Likes

I used to ask candidates to mess stuff like this up before handing out the sheets if they can repeat what I just said. Helped to a degree.

He said he fails 1/3 of the class no matter how good or bad they are. So I guess he is a c…t.

2 Likes