Another one bites the dust - Taiwan tells El Salvador to go jump

I really don’t know why the big problem, most of the Countries that recognize this Nation are in most ways basket cases themselves, if they want to go, see ya. Save a shedload of pingers that could be better spent on new hospitals etc. At the end of the day Uncle Sam is always going to be the backstop and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if push comes to shove Trump might just show up to cut a ribbon in Taipei in the coming months, now wouldn’t that make things interesting across the Strait.

2 Likes

Well, Taiwan helped train El Salvador’s death squad leader Roberto d’Aubuisson back in the days of the World Anti-Communist League. He same to Taiwan seven times.

It’s an awful dump, good riddance.

1 Like

El Salva who?? Is that new kinda rum or tequila?

p.s. think it was chen biennie who wanted a new Presidential Jet, ala Air Force One, but it wasn’t approved because , well… who can the Prez of Taiwan visit, that is worth visiting? And if and when there’s always an airliner to charter from eVA or Ci. Which is what chennie did to bring his kid home from Berkeley when he graduated. Imagine that? Chartered a whole large jet to just transport the little chennie home from college. That is STYLE (and same style that got him in the can, tho).

Which is one ofvthe arguments the FMLN used to push this through,claiming Communist China is tge real leader and friend.

Can’t blame them too much after what the US did in their country for decades.

Can you please explain why that has anything to do with yesterday’s announcement?

It was in reply to this post. Must have pushed the wrong reply button.

That would be huge. Pretty unlikely though because Beijing would go apeshit bananas.

Wrote this in another thread but it also beloobngs here:

That is another angle of the problem. These alliances of convenience were established when Taiwan itself was in the grip of a dictatorship, so no conflict of interests. Moreover, Taiwan served as proxy training center and arms seller/dealer for the US for way too many years. As Taiwan evolved democratically, those deeds hamper the already damaged relationship when these countries move on -South Africa- or strained the relationship with US -who also does not want that too much in the open, for what anyone cares.

1 Like

I think it was called the Political Warfare Cadres Academy in Beitou.

From an article by Linda Gail Arrigo
“In early 2016 I was preparing my usual tirade against ROC foreign relations continuing as a vestige of the now-defunct World Anti-Communist League. The WACL, headquartered in Taiwan, was long a cover for US aid channelled to dictators and death squads in Latin America. Notably, Roberto D’Aubuisson of El Salvador’s ARENA came to Taiwan seven times. Unfortunately, Taiwanese are ignorant of this history. My long recommendation to the DPP and TI advocates was to cut all ROC foreign relations, repudiate the KMT ties with authoritarian regimes, and start again in the name of a democratic Taiwan. Dollar diplomacy, if that was all that remained, should work just as well if not better.”
Excerpt from

Where there is money involved, and also US persuasion, well, we also need the US.

But it also comes to show that those things of days past still come to haunt us.

Auntie Linda bang-on there with her explanation as to why Tsai sides with business interests and the DPP’s abandoning of any semblance of an independence platform. Foreign media keeps repeating Beijing cant about Tsai being a pro-independence president when in point of fact she has never mentioned the I word.

Correct they would, and that would be brilliant to watch

Yes, one step closer to the birth of Republic of Taiwan. And when there is none, that glorious day can finally come!

How does zero diplomatic partners bring about the Republic of Taiwan? What about the ROC constitution?

That outdated paper that still says we control all of the mainland and more? Yeah fuck that. The day will come when when the republic is dead and long live the republic

Indeed, what comes after ROC may not be ROT but Taiwan SAR (under PRC jurisdiction). Some of us will likely be dead before either happens.

As much as we’d like to see ROT, the zombie corpse of the ROC has ensured its demise. Rejecting the ROC constitution, again, was not only desirable and plausible but necessary and even imperative back in 1971. It is too late now. Even if the powers that be engage in a real WW3, they will still again carve the world as their pizza. And leave Taiwan as a spoil of war.

3 Likes

Totally