Another opinion about women

Tomas, There’s a difference between debating something calmly and intelligently and arguing. I know what you mean by that because my marriage was fucking exhausting. It didn’t matter if I said the weather was nice today, he’d say it was crap. Like that. Then, the relationship I was in after him was much more agreeable, and we did discuss and debate like adults. Perhaps as you mature into middle age, you’ll desire more of this sort of repartie with your companion, which doesn’t mean it has to be heated or unpleasant.

Almas, you lad! Lad! LAD! LAD!

Maturity and age are very important. But I think that compatible personality types are equally important.

Tomas, Almas, you guys had better be careful about engaging in sexual adventures. Look what happened to this luckless lad after only a week on the island:

“I’d only been in Taiwan a week when a strange rash-cum-sore started growing on my left leg. It didn’t help my peace of mind that the news had been full of stories about flesh-eating bacteria; healthy people walking around fine one day, the next amputee-bait. The sore exploded all over my leg [get out the safety glasses!]…” – John Ross, Formosan Odyssey

The author didn’t write it, but I can read between the lines: That rash didn’t really start on his left leg, I’m guessing it started on the smaller one between the leftie and the rightie.

Yeah, so like, what’s your star sign? I’m a Sag. We love freedom and exploration. My moon’s in Pisces and I’m Virgo rising with Mars in Leo and Venus in Scorpio…

My blood type is AB negative and I was born the year of the Tiger!

:wink:

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“Alien”][quote=“Tomas”]
For active, informed debate, I go to my friends, not my girlfriends. I’m not interested in debating with someone I love. [/quote]

:?

I was going to say something. But there’s nothing to say.

No, uh, yeah right… does that mean you like it when your girlfriend agrees with everything that comes out of your mouth? Yawn.[/quote]

I think he meant he wasn’t interested in debating me, Alien.

No, actually, I think it is smart to keep debates out of the relationship. Go debate with your buddies. I dated someone who would always want to debate, who would bombard me with debates. Not cool.[/quote]

Flicka, I would love to talk with you about any issue. I’m one of the most easy-going people you’ll meet (except for those rare bad-hair days :wink: ) What I have trouble tolerating is someone assuming they are smarter than I am or superior to me without knowing me. I can always let it go, of course, but I am someone who demands a basic level of respect from others, and I give them same in kind.

For example, you assumed earlier that I don’t speak Mandarin. Actually, I speak beautiful Mandarin, have worked as in interpreter and translator, and rely on my Mandarin communication skills to earn a very comfortable living.

If, after you meet me, you decide that you are smarter than I am, that your Mandarin is better than mine, etc., I have no problem with that. It is quite possibly true. I have many friends who are smarter than I am, many of them female. I don’t feel threatened by that in the least, but someone has to give me a chance before they go assuming things about me, or we sacrifice respect. And respect is pretty important, wouldn’t you say?

[quote]Tomas, Almas, you guys had better be careful about engaging in sexual adventures. Look what happened to this luckless lad after only a week on the island:

…The author didn’t write it, but I can read between the lines: That rash didn’t really start on his left leg, I’m guessing it started on the smaller one between the leftie and the rightie.
[/quote]

Well, If that lazy bugger Tomas washed the doll more often!!! By the way she is self-inflating, never debates, and has been programed to say a few short phrases such as “Oh, oh, you’re so, you’re so much better than that tantric devil, JoeSax”

[quote=“almas john”][quote]Tomas, Almas, you guys had better be careful about engaging in sexual adventures. Look what happened to this luckless lad after only a week on the island:

…The author didn’t write it, but I can read between the lines: That rash didn’t really start on his left leg, I’m guessing it started on the smaller one between the leftie and the rightie.
[/quote]

Well, If that lazy bugger Tomas washed the doll more often!!! By the way she is self-inflating, never debates, and has been programed to say a few short phrases such as “Oh, oh, you’re so, you’re so much better than that tantric devil, JoeSax”[/quote]

I knew it! I knew it was Tomas’ fault! Fess up!

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Tomas, Almas, you guys had better be careful about engaging in sexual adventures. Look what happened to this luckless lad after only a week on the island:

“I’d only been in Taiwan a week when a strange rash-cum-sore started growing on my left leg. It didn’t help my peace of mind that the news had been full of stories about flesh-eating bacteria; healthy people walking around fine one day, the next amputee-bait. The sore exploded all over my leg [get out the safety glasses!]…” – John Ross, Formosan Odyssey

The author didn’t write it, but I can read between the lines: That rash didn’t really start on his left leg, I’m guessing it started on the smaller one between the leftie and the rightie.[/quote]

Har har. Good one, as always, HS.

Your comment reminds of some poor sap I met in the gym a while back. He tells me: “I thought Taiwan was great. I got laid my first Friday here. Met her at Roxy 99. But then, a week later, I realized she’d given me an STD.” I’ve taken to telling newbies I see in the gym that before they jump into bed with the sexy little shaojie you meet at Roxy 99, they’d better consider the fact that she’s probably done this a few (or a hundred) times before with just as many different guys. I stay well clear of the bed-hopping types, and I’m not as “easy” as some of you assume.

I, myself, like the cute ones. If I want to talk politics, art, or culture, I’ll do so with my mates over a beer. Cute girls, are very good at being cute, and I love them for it.

There, you nailed it. That’s by far the #1 reason to prefer a Taiwanese over a Western girl. I’m here in Taiwan mostly to experience a different culture and learn a new language, and so in order to that best I’ll have to pass over the Western girls here and head for a local girl instead. Well, that and the fact that decent-looking Western girls are few and far between in Taiwan (outside of Taipei). Otherwise, Western women are IMAO superior physically (they have real curves and look like real women, unlike the skinny 12-year-old girl physique many local girls have - and I’m sorry, I’m just not into pedophilia), emotional maturity, and worldly intellectual experience (you can have an actual discussion with Western gals about music, books, politics, religion, society, etc.)

There are exceptions, and I realize I sound kind of harsh, but generalized facts are generalized facts. Also, Western women are into a guy like me. Western women generally find me attractive and handsome. I don’t know what’s up with Taiwanese women, either they are too shy; or just don’t like my body style and only consider me “so-so” looking; or, contrary to myth, actually do prefer their own kind due to language/cultural barriers (or a combination of all of the above). If there’s one thing I’ve learned from living here in Taiwan is that beauty is definitely not universal. Many of the Taiwanese girls that I feel are most physically attractive are considered big and ugly by Taiwanese men, and conversely, the women that Taiwanese men go for I often don’t see what’s so special.

[quote=“Tomas”]Har har. Good one, as always, HS. I’ve said before that my single guy adventures aren’t necessarily all about sex.

Your comment reminds of some poor sap I met in the gym a while back. He tells me: “I thought Taiwan was great. I got laid my first Friday here. Met her at Roxy 99. But then, a week later, I realized she’d given me an STD.” I’ve taken to telling newbies I see in the gym that before they jump into bed with the sexy little shaojie you meet at Roxy 99, they’d better consider the fact that she’s probably done this a few (or a hundred) times before with just as many different guys. I stay well clear of the bed-hopping types, and I’m not as “easy” as some of you assume. The fact that I can get laid never means that I will get laid, capish? Also, I bring my own towels to the gym. Yuck.[/quote]
I hope this is all going into the Digest, man.

The last time I went out to a danceclub and had a girl there try and pick me up, I made a hasty exit. It was crowded and I didn’t have a place to sit down, so when I had to go to the bathroom I set my beer on a table close by. One of the girls sitting there said, “Hey, you set your drink next to mine, maybe you want to talk to me?” Well, sure, I guess, and we started talking. She was coming on really strong, immediately asking if I was at the club with a girlfriend and if not why not?, and it was looking like easy peasy for me to pull her home that night, everything all set. But luckily for me the conversation kept going…I noticed some scratches on her arms, and she said, “Oh, that’s just when I tried to cut myself today, sometimes I do that because I’m sad. I go to see a doctor to talk about this problem every week…” Needless to say after a polite interval of several more minutes I made an excuse to move away, and started dancing with another girl (who while she made a date with me for a few days later, didn’t go home with me on the first night - she was sane). Personally in my experience any girl who’s made up her mind to sleep with you within 15 minutes of meeting her in a danceclub/pub is…ever heard of “anything that sounds too good to be true, probably isn’t?” Sure, you’ll get a shag…along with either VD or a genuinely medically-certified psycho xiaojie.

So the psycho xiao jie is less than a myth. :shock:

Still, many men are ready to sleep with a girl based on the first look alone, so is it not unfair to apply double standards? Girls want fun, too. :sunglasses:

Tomas made an interesting point on page one: “As for physical appearance, that’s just a matter of taste, man. I was uninterested in Taiwanese girls for the first six months I was here. Thought they were undernourished and shapeless. Times have changed since then, as has my opinion of local women.”

I have a theory developed after visiting and living in over 57 countries in my short lifetime: a man’s appreciation for the beauty and charms of a foreign woman grows as he stays longer in any one country, no matter how un-interesting the women look at first, if he stays long enough, his “eyes” will undergo an amazing change and what he once thought un-attractive slowly becomes zazoom! attractive and sexy and wow.

I have seen this all over. A friend went to Japan first six months said he couldn’t stand Japanese women’s faces and bods. A year later, he was hooked and never came back.

a friend went to Cambodia, told me the women were ugly as sin there, now he married a woman there, the love of his life, he “sees” her in a new light.

A friend went to Paris, couldn’t stand French women’s looks, but a year later, boom, he was hooked.

my question is this: given that my theory is correct (it must be, I thought it up!), why is is so true?

Guys come here to Taiwan and at first, like Tomas said, they don’t find the local women attractive. But day after day of seeing them with new eyes, and then, zazoom! it happens.

is it genetic mutation?

familiarity breeds attraction?

Not seeing the girls of one’s native genepool changes the eyes’ perception of female beauty?

curious to hear male and female answers…

More likely desperation?

As for HK, where I lived for a few years, it is truly the land of the micro penis. :frowning:

re my theory:

and mod lang made an intereesting post along the same lines:

“If there’s one thing I’ve learned from living here in Taiwan is that beauty is definitely not universal. Many of the Taiwanese girls that I feel are most physically attractive are considered big and ugly by Taiwanese men, and conversely, the women that Taiwanese men go for I often don’t see what’s so special…”

so what is it? desperation? relaxation of the glands? hormones? whormones? the beer? loneliness of the long distance runners?

NOTA BENE: “you get a much richer selection in terms of attractive girls who god knows why find us attractive too…” wrote one of the early posters on page one.

THIS IS TAIWAN IN A NUTSHELL, yes: couldn’t have said it better: WHO GOD KNOWS WHY THEY FIND US ATTRACTIVE…when back home, we are nothing to write home about (I speak for myself of course).

I am not God but I will tell you why they find us attractive:

it is not US they find attractive so much as their fantasy of what we represent: the West, the Western world, Europe, Nord Amerika, Oz, they SEE us a the fulfilment of their TV-inspired, Hollywood-inspired dreams of pure fantasy, big noses that we are, even though we are, to a man, ugly as sin (again I speak for myself only). I mean, they think TOM CRUISE is handsome, that ugly prick. They think Leonardo is cute, that ugly greaser. They think Harrsion Fffff Ford is handsome, that ugly rugged carpenter to no talent shite! So we come along, ugly as we are, and we are projected on their screens as Hollywood talent! It’s as simple as that.

It’s cool, but devious. And of course, we do the same with Asian women, with our Western fantasies of ASian beauty passed down to us by our foreskins, er, forbares, make that… you know what i mean!

so we are all guilty as sin here.

enjoy it. it only happens once every 60,000 years

No. Here’s what it is:

a) about 5% of Taiwanese women want a white man. Any white man. They’ve never come into much contact with many white guys up close, so that even the ugliest come across as handsome and exotic.

b) ordinary white guys who were nothing special back home, where they were playing the field of the 1% of white women that were interested in them, come to Taiwan - where that 1% is suddenly inflated 400% to a grand total of 5% of the women in the population interested in them. This all goes to their heads - never before in their lives have they had the experience of 1 out 20 women actually turning their heads at their ordinary joe bodies. Hallucinating in ecstacy, they fantasize that 100% of the women are attracted to them (when in reality it’s only a meager 5%).

Trust me on this. Back home I was generally considered a handsome guy that a good 10% of the women turned their heads for. In Taiwan, that ratio has been halved to the 5% of Taiwanese women who are genuinely attracted physically towards foreigners. 95% of Taiwanese women are more attracted and think that it would be better match to go with Taiwanese men, than with waiguoren. This is not Japan, where all you have to do is be white to get laid.

[quote=“Soddom”]More likely desperation?

As for HK, where I lived for a few years, it is truly the land of the micro penis. :frowning:[/quote]

I have no idea about men’s penises here, but as for the desperation comment, it is both mean and untrue.

Whether you like it or not, an attractive guy back home is going to do just fine over in Taiwan, probably better. And if an ugly fellow is finding love here, why wouldn’t you bless him instead of lambasting him?

If you aren’t happy with yourselves, by God, fix whatever is bothering you. Get to the gym. Make more money. Eat healthier. Spend some time on your inner selves. Maybe your love lives will improve to the point that you’ll be wishing people well instead of tossing around insults.

Well said, Tomas. I agree.

However, I think the entire discussion re foreign men/women with local women/men is absurdly boring. Its nobody’s business why or how two people hit it off.

When I was young, I was considered rather handsome (those were the days!)… and I had lots of hippy girlfriends in the states and when I got to Taiwan, I found that I actually had fewer girls seriously interested in me… due, as has been pointed out above, to the fact that my language skills were poor then and that the general consensus was that I would play around and then skip this island. But there will always be a few local girls/guys truly interested in foreign guys/girls… great!

My wife of 14 years is a local gal, and she actually had no interst in me whatsoever when we met 18 years ago… I spent 4 difficult years (OK, it wasn’t all difficult) chasing her.

In the end, a solid and long-lasting relationship depends less on the exotic aspect and more on the intimate aspect, where intimacy is not limited to sexual intamacy.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope nobody feels cheated :wink:

I think one thing is that foreign men here, perhaps because they are in a place where no one knows them, are surrounded by strangers, etc., and are more likely to flirt or ask women out, in other words take more small risks. It isn’t like living in a town in the US where the gossip will immediately go back to your sister, mother, that you asked so-and-so out the other day.

As for small penises, might I suggest that that’s a little shallow? Most women in Taiwan aren’t exactly candidates for Hooters, in fact even the waitresses at Hooters here probably couldn’t get their feet, or should I say boobs, in the door at other branches, but it doesn’t seem to bother the hundreds of foreign guys here.