Another Sony rootkit worms its way to the surface

"The software for the drive was written by Taiwanese company FineArt, and Sony is claiming that they had no knowledge of this particular rootkit and did not intend for it to be released. Sony Sweden spokesman Fredrik Fagerstedt told ZDNet that “sometimes even actions undertaken with ‘good will’ can go wrong.”
Goodwill…?

[quote]Another Sony rootkit worms its way to the surface
By Jeremy Reimer | Published: September 02, 2007 - 05:20PM CT

Sony can’t catch a break after its infamous rootkit scandal back in 2005. In fact, we know from talking to security researchers and black hats alike that Sony is under the careful eye of many as a result of that major screwup. Now, a new story has come out involving Sony’s biometric Micro Vault USM-F thumb drive, which apparently contains a rootkit that could potentially allow hackers to compromise users’ PCs. The presence of the rootkit was first discovered by F-Secure, and was confirmed by Aditya Kapoor and Seth Purdy, researchers at McAfee, and posted on their blog. "
more at link
arstechnica.com[/quote]

what is this mysterious rootkit? a bag of special hormones to encourage new root growth on transplants and cuttings? a plumbing tool to clear tree roots? or a pack of condoms, a sachet of lube, and a bottle of tequila?

it was later confirmed it was not a rootkit, just a hidden folder that used a technique to conceal itself liek rootkits do.
but there was no malicious software running.
much trouble about nothing…

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]it was later confirmed it was not a rootkit, just a hidden folder that used a technique to conceal itself liek rootkits do.
but there was no malicious software running.
much trouble about nothing…[/quote]After the last Sony fiasco, it’s justified to be concerned. I think the concerns were also to do with that it hid any directory it is was, not just ones on the USB drive, and malware could use that to hide itself.

i am not a sony fan, but i think this particular thing was blown out of proportion.
but you are right to be concerned with sony.
this is why i avoid / not buy their products anymore. did you know that Bioshock copyprotection is from Sony (securom) and limits the number of installations you can make? this is in my opinion far more intolerable, but no big fuzz about it. just a little step closer in reducing customers rights with DRM…

Sony alienates its customers with all sorts of proprietary technology that are islands in the sea. With the exception of the PS2, the high-end TVs, and maybe… maybe the VAIO, I would not buy anything with that name, and only the TVs and VAIO if I was super rich.