Another wage question

Hi everyone. I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now and, from what I’ve read, I’m sure the regulars are tired of new teachers asking wage-related questions but I really need some impartial advice. So I hope you don’t mind…

I will be going to Taiwan next week and I have been offered a position at a school in Chiayi. It offers a monthly salary of NT57,000 plus NT3,000 for the first 10 months as an air travel bonus. I would be working 1pm-9pm weekdays, with up to 5 hours a day in the classroom (and the rest presumably doing prep, marking etc.) It has a number of perks like paid holidays, no weekends, medical and the fact that it offers a stable income.

As for me. I have a BA and an MA but no teaching qualifications or experience.

I feel reasonably happy with the wage overall. For a first time teacher I think NT60,000 / NT57,000 a month is fair and I’m not really looking for a higher monthly salary. Yet I can’t help but focus on how it translates as an hourly wage. So I was hoping I could get some opinions on this. Am I wrong to fixate on how it converts to an hourly wage, since it is a pretty good monthly salary and perk package? Or do you think it isn’t a fair deal?

That is 375NT an hour? I know it is only 5 hours at most teaching, but to me teaching or office hours are all the same since it is work. I am sure plenty of people will chime in saying they have X job paying much better but the problem is finding a job like that. They aren’t going to be given to people just arriving. It is hard to compare salary jobs with hourly since they do vary slightly in the terms. Especially with the way things are in some places in Taiwan, you might just be happy to even have a job or one that pays more than the absolute minimum due to closing classes etc. I’d say if you think the job is OK and the school boss/owner whatever turns out to be ok, then all is good :wink:

It’s certainly not great, but if it’s the best you’ve been offered, you might as well take it. Just remember that your tax will be deducted at 20% for your first six months, so that will pare the number down a bit. Try to speak with other foreigner teachers at the school as well, preferably when the boss isn’t there.

I’d take it. It’s a stable gig with all your hours in one place, a reasonable salary, and no Saturdays. Normal starting salary is 50k.

They want you to be there 8 hours a day? So, if this is your first time teaching, spend the time on preparation and homework and learning how to be a better teacher.

When you find you’re wasting hours of the day sitting at a desk being bored, do something else to make the most of your time. Maybe you could work online somehow, or study Chinese, or take a course at a local university - just think, several hours a day, free from distractions and temptations, and you’re being paid to study. :slight_smile:

But it’s up to you what you do with the time. You can waste it or you can be smart.

I’d say take it if it were a morning position. As it’s not… depends on the school, facilities, staff. Generally, I advice against signing a contract before you see what you’re getting into.

And books, materials, support systems…

But then again, he’ll have his mornings free to sleep in, exercise, study chinese, etc.

Although it’s been years since I’ve taught English, it sounds good enough to me. It’s a great thing having all your hours in a block at one place like that, so you don’t have to waste an equal number of hours out in the blazing hot sun or pouring rain, waiting for a bus, sucking in exhaust fumes, going from job to job.

Also consider where in Taiwan this job is located. Much of urban Taiwan is an eyesore, but after awhile, you learn to detect the armpits. Rural Taiwan can be a hard slog if you don’t have any Chinese up your sleeve, or have a fancy for western food or entertainment.

HG

Edit: Doh! Just saw it’s in Jiayi. Can be a fun place.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it’s really useful. A few of you have suggested checking out the facilities, materials etc. in person. I will definitely take a look around before I sign anything and I’ll make sure I have a chat with the other foreign teachers at the school.

Ice Raven, you make a good point. If I find myself without any work to do during those 8 hours then I will certainly try to make the most of the time by trying to improve my teaching and my mandarin.

[quote=“Nikko”]Thanks for the advice everyone, it’s really useful. A few of you have suggested checking out the facilities, materials etc. in person. I will definitely take a look around before I sign anything and I’ll make sure I have a chat with the other foreign teachers at the school.

Ice Raven, you make a good point. If I find myself without any work to do during those 8 hours then I will certainly try to make the most of the time by trying to improve my teaching and my mandarin.[/quote]

Which school is it? I’ve been in Chiayi for the past eight years and might be able to answer some questions for you. There are definitely a few schools you should avoid like the plague…

There’s an ad on a “99” site for a job in Jiayi. Might be that one?

Thanks for the offer. It’s called the Talented (Kids) English School and it’s in Puzih. I believe it’s a Kid Castle franchise. I have heard that it’s a well-established school and a good environment to work in.

Thanks for the offer. It’s called the Talented (Kids) English School and it’s in Puzih. I believe it’s a Kid Castle franchise. I have heard that it’s a well-established school and a good environment to work in.[/quote]

Sorry, I don’t know anything about that one. You are aware that there is absolutely nothing to do in Puzih, right? Chiayi city may be a better option unless you enjoy being completely bored out of your mind. :laughing:

Thanks for the offer. It’s called the Talented (Kids) English School and it’s in Puzih. I believe it’s a Kid Castle franchise. I have heard that it’s a well-established school and a good environment to work in.[/quote]

I knew a few people who worked there and didn’t mind it, but you will be putting in long hours, etc. As schools in that town go, it’s one of the better jobs. The bosses are okay for the most part… if you pm me, I’ll try to put you in touch with some people who used to work there.

Be forewarned, you are headed into the boondocks… but as there’s very little to buy, it’s a good opportunity to save money. It’s also dirt cheap to live there. Try to get a place at You Sun Da Lo; there are (or were, at least,) other foreigners there and it’s a tight group, usually not uncomfortably so. In the early days, you’ll need all the foreign company you can get.

Glad to hear the school is pretty good.

Sounds like I’m out in the sticks there. That’s not such an issue for me as long as it’s just a case of having little to do rather than it being difficult to live there in a practical sense.

I understand that it’s quite close to Chiayi city, isn’t it? Is there regular public transport between the two?

Yeah, busses every twenty minutes or so; there’s no train as it’s not on the line. Your best bet is to get a scooter ASAP, get someone to teach you how to drive the thing, practice, and get your license. Puzhi is also really, really close to an HSR station (in Taibao), so you have quick and easy access to all the major cities, which can be a lifesaver.

Great. I had read that it was very close to the HSR station. That’s definitely a bonus.