Answer to a question about passive and active voice

This sounds like what they’re going for. My junior high kids got tons of these ridiculous questions. This is just a case of think like the test preparer, give them the answer they want and move on.[/quote]

According to the book’s Amazon.com page ( amazon.com/Writing-Clearly-E … 0838409490 ), the authors are Janet Lane and Ellen Lange. I looked them up on Google; apparently both of them are or were on the faculty of UC Davis.

I don’t think it warrants a true bill.

This sounds like what they’re going for. My junior high kids got tons of these ridiculous questions. This is just a case of think like the test preparer, give them the answer they want and move on.[/quote]

According to the book’s Amazon.com page ( amazon.com/Writing-Clearly-E … 0838409490 ), the authors are Janet Lane and Ellen Lange. I looked them up on Google; apparently both of them are or were on the faculty of UC Davis.

I don’t think it warrants a true bill.[/quote]

In that case, I suspect the OP might have been looking at an exercise where you were suppose to choose which can be changed and which cannot be. You have to change the ones that can be and LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE. I’ve fallen pray to that one myself.

In that case, I suspect the OP might have been looking at an exercise where you were suppose to choose which can be changed and which cannot be. You have to change the ones that can be and LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE. I’ve fallen pray to that one myself.[/quote] I’m sure I have, at some time or another. When it comes to misreading or not instructions, I’ve got decades of experience. In fact, I used to be pretty consistent about it.

In that case, I suspect the OP might have been looking at an exercise where you were suppose to choose which can be changed and which cannot be. You have to change the ones that can be and LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE. I’ve fallen pray to that one myself.[/quote]

Not to mention the number of times you’ve fallen prey to misusing a homophone…not that there’s anything wrong with that, mind you…

That’s just homophonic and should be temped, IMO.